PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Dodge D50 Power Ram Mitsubishi 4D55 Diesel motor question

Rokko100
01-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Can someone please help me with a belt question? My 85 mitsubishi diesel 4d55 is eating belts both alternator and power steering. Horrible squealing and premature wear as I do not know what size I should have on both pulley's. It has no air, so I was wondering if anyone knows what the exact belts for replacing both are and if you can list them for me. Your help is greatly appreciated!

camoit
01-15-2016, 09:17 PM
Sounds like an alignment problem. I would look at that first because it will rip belts to shreds.

d50dave
01-16-2016, 05:13 AM
Or, one is getting really hard to turn.

Rokko100
01-16-2016, 06:34 AM
I appreciate that but does anyone know the exact size of the belts?

camoit
01-17-2016, 08:52 PM
IDK the part number. But it should ride nicely in the groove with out extending out the top of the pulley or going to the bottom. Sorry.

Rokko100
01-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Can anyone tell me the exact size of the two belts that go on the alternator and the power steering on an 85 4D55 Turbo Diesel. I cannot seem to find the right belts by guessing. I am getting squealing and the destruction of belts. I know, change the pulley's but that seems to be an issue as well as it is unclear what fits what from Napa and Rock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

d50dave
01-19-2016, 08:14 AM
For shits a giggles I looked at Rock Auto like I would have done if I actually needed belts. Damn if they didn't list a whole gang of them. Sizes too.

Rokko100
01-19-2016, 10:01 AM
I did but it is as vague as some of the other sites unfortunately! Thanks

Rokko100
01-19-2016, 10:03 AM
The belts I have on it that I just replaced are one for alternator and one for power steering. Rock lists AC belts??? I do not have AC and the one belt that I really need right is the Alternator belt and it is too skinny and recesses too far down into the pulley and that is where the squealing is coming from. They also will not stay tight, they loosen up to quickly! No pulley replacements it seems as well. Real problem for me.

Rokko100
01-19-2016, 10:21 AM
I am sorry what does IDK the part number mean?

Thanks

camoit
01-19-2016, 10:35 AM
I am sorry what does IDK the part number mean?

Thanks

IDK = I Don't Know

so, I don't know the part number.

huff
01-19-2016, 03:37 PM
The belts I have on it that I just replaced are one for alternator and one for power steering. Rock lists AC belts??? I do not have AC and the one belt that I really need right is the Alternator belt and it is too skinny and recesses too far down into the pulley and that is where the squealing is coming from. They also will not stay tight, they loosen up to quickly! No pulley replacements it seems as well. Real problem for me.

I'm unclear as to what you are saying.

Your current alternator belt doesn't fit. Do you know where it came from? Can you tell us the size, brand, and part number of it?

I would suggest buying the alternator belt from Rock Auto. Probably the Continental one. Can I vouch for it? No. But I'm pretty sure that's where I got my last set of belts, and I didn't have the problem you are having.

As to your question about what the size should be, I'm sorry, I don't know.

Rokko100
01-19-2016, 03:51 PM
Thanks Huff, I did see the Continental one on there. I just purchased two from NAPA. One was for the power steering and the other unfortunately was listed as an air conditioner belt, but I figured I would try it. I will get the exact stock numbers on the belt and let you guys know. If figure I will try napa first, and then go even blinder with Rock if these do not work. At this point I have $80.00 bucks in this now. Pathetic, but there does not seem to be any pulley's that I can replace as the pulleys are on the motor and the alternator and the power steering box, so I figure I will go through the belt scenario first, then if I cannot find a match, probe deeper. It is a shame because aside from the squealing, it runs like a top, perfect, so we will see. Thank you all for your input. One other thing: The belts continue to get loose and my mechanic does know his business, he says they have tightened the hell out of them, but they continue to loosen as the adjustment points as you all know is the alternator and power steering points that are adjustable. Any input fellas?

Rokko100
01-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Finally found the proper belt from a truck company for the alternator belt. We will see how it works.

mikewarme
04-02-2016, 02:08 PM
THE ONLY BELTS THAT FIT PROPERLY ARE OEM. OEMMITSUBISHIPARTS.com. BTW price is ame like going to autozone except they fit perfect! 4d55 diesel fan belt MD064598. Power steering MB166386

BradMph
04-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Finally found the proper belt from a truck company for the alternator belt. We will see how it works.

Gates & Goodyear belts are pretty decent. :)

mikewarme
04-07-2016, 05:23 AM
Gates & Goodyear belts are pretty decent. :) They do not fit the same as the oem on the 4d55 . And they often times are more expensive than the oem ones unless you get them for $5 at rockauto.