PDA

View Full Version : Speed Wobble

abeemanator
08-21-2011, 11:37 AM
I get this thing going on in my truck when I am doing about 30+ mph, when I hit a bump in the road the passenger side front wheel starts shaking back and fourth real quick, and it makes it difficult to keep it going straight. What is wrong? I'm not sure if the wheel bearing is loose, and if it is what should I torque it to?

Acuta73
08-21-2011, 01:02 PM
On level ground, grab the top of the wheel and pull hard. Get any play? If not, jack up that wheel and do the same. If it's a bearing there's no tightening it, only replacing. If you have to replace it, always replace in pairs at minimum, I'd usually replace all 4 (if one is dead, the rest can't be far behind).

Also, when off the ground, look at your ball joints, tie rod ends, steering components, and bushings for movement that shouldn't be there.

And just for giggles? Make sure your lug nuts are tight. ;)

camoit
08-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Front tires are out of balance and the shocks are getting old. Thats a classic symptom. Wobbles between 25 and 40+

Take a look in the Wiki for, How to read tire wear.

abeemanator
08-21-2011, 03:57 PM
It was the rod opposite of the power steering box, pretty much where you would put a RHD steering box, the nut on the end had gotten loose, and the lugs are just fine. Front tires out of balance would make since, but the 31x11.50x15 on the rear are probably way out of balance. We just put them on for better clearance when off roading, but they are bad on the clutch, huge gear ratio difference form the 14's

DroppedMitsu
08-22-2011, 11:19 AM
That would be the idler arm.

pennyman1
08-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Since you are running such a large tire in front, you should put a steering stabilizer on the truck to absorb the workout those tires do to the front end. It really makes a difference in the handling as well

abeemanator
09-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah, that must have been caused by the bigger tires, I put the stock P195/75/R14's on and it did fine doing 75-80 on the freeway, but it started to vibrate a little from not having my tires balanced yet.

foolonthehill
09-24-2011, 05:45 AM
Idler Arm is a weak point on these trucks. They sell rebuild kits for them dirt cheap, or you can go all the way up to the heavy duty MOOG (if I remember correctly) unit for under $40.