PDA

View Full Version : Cam timing mark

85Ram50
07-23-2016, 09:29 AM
I took the time to remove my top timing belt cover to check if I had the timing right. (Had to remove the fan too) I can't get eye level look at it so I took pics. I set it at TDC then clicked and in case I was out 180 I rotated the motor manually and took another pic at TDC. Looking at the pic I seem to be out just a bit. I would like an opinion on that. The rotor looked like it was pointing to number one in the same place each time.

Note; when I replaced the head I zip tied the belt to itself and the cam gear so it did not move. I thought it worked. If I am out a tooth it probably happened when I replaced the timing and balancer belts months previous not when I did the head.
17442 17443

85Ram50
07-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Not sure if this matters but the #1 plug was coated in soot and had oil on the threads. I'm hoping that spilled when I did the head. I pulled the others and the all had soot on them but they were dry.

85Ram50
07-23-2016, 11:46 AM
I took out the distributor, set the mark and noticed the rotor spun when I put it in. I took it back out set the mark counter clockwise one gear and it went in and the rotor landed right where it is supposed to be. I closed it all up and it started right away. I tried timing it a bit and it seems ok. I'd still like to know if any of you pros think that cam timing mark is off. I'm pretty sure I got all the marks lined up correctly when I did the belts but ?????

geezer101
07-23-2016, 04:05 PM
What is the crank pulley timing mark location looking like? It isn't out by much and by the time the belt has bedded in a little, the mark will be a lot closer. At the moment all this will be doing is shifting the power band earlier in your rpm range.

85Ram50
07-23-2016, 04:26 PM
The belt has been on for a few thousand miles. The Crank pulley was at TDC when I took these pics and the rotor was pointing at #1 cylinder. the second pic is after rotating the motor so the rotor made a full circle in case it was 180 out the first time. I went for a drive and it seems like it was idling low at stops. The hood sticker says it should be 700rpm cold and 750 warm. I don't have a tack but it was loping the motor for being so low. And that sticker is where I got the 5degreee BTDC timing standard.

pennyman1
07-23-2016, 04:30 PM
if its loping at idle, turn up the idle screw slightly until it runs smooth. You may have to adjust the idle mixture / idle speed again now that the timing is right.

85Ram50
07-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Okay.