PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil filter ?

Gsprusty
02-21-2017, 06:04 PM
Looking for the best in oil weights, filter, and overall lubes.

BradMph
02-22-2017, 04:26 AM
Where you live, what is average temps?
A great start to use in wt oil is 10-30wt. You want an oil that gets to lubricating as quickly as possible and also doesn't run out of the engine completely to the oil pan. When you change oil, always fill the new filter up with new oil prior to installing the new filter. That little bit of time to pump oil around can cause wear and eventually cause earlier rebuild times. If you have a newer rebuilt engine, synthetic is the best, no doubts. But, older engines could begin to leak oil through gaskets if you try using syn after a long period of conventional. Your going to get many opinions on what people use and that is what I am giving you as well.
I use Castrol Oil because it does not leave black soot inside the engine. It keep all your inner working parts clean. I also use Wix filters. They are a very good quality filter and I have never had an issue with one. I also place magnets on the oil filter and the oil pan to try and keep any shavings of metal in them areas until oil change. Then I release magnets to dump oil. Rear end, GL4 take your pick. Ball joints, heat and water resistant, you can make the decision at the parts store for the good brand.
Just changing lubrication oils and grease regularly is the best thing you can do. It's not always the brand that works best.
The synthetic stuff is as far as I know the best because of the molecule structure. But again, I wouldn't start using it if you been using regular oil for a long time.

Welcome to the forum. :)