PDA

View Full Version : Canopy shell rot repair

StarquestMan
08-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Im wondering how i would go about repairing the canopy shell for my 87' long bed. I realized the bed rails on my shell originally were built up using plywood that was then covered in fiberglass however they weren't coated enough in spots and water got in and rotted away the plywood inside so now there is no rigidity for mounting the camper to the bed. too bad long beds are so uncommon or i would just look for a different canopy.

Law Dog
08-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Replace the wood and fiberglass is not that hard to work with, just a little kitty hair and a piece of wood then layer until you get what you want out of it.

StarquestMan
08-09-2017, 08:49 PM
ok sounds good. thanks again for that ac tensioner, i got my ac charged with R152a and it works great!

camoit
08-09-2017, 09:45 PM
You can lay in new wood and cover it with Fiberglass if you like. I talk about fiber glass here. http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/38-The-Fear-Monger/page2

geezer101
08-10-2017, 02:30 AM
Maybe another option is to use a 2 part builders filler/bondo. Easy to use, pretty cheap and can be sanded, drilled etc and painted up. I think it will be easier than trying to insert a new piece of timber into the areas that the particle board has gotten water damaged.

Law Dog
08-10-2017, 01:06 PM
ok sounds good. thanks again for that ac tensioner, i got my ac charged with R152a and it works great!

Super glad it worked out I don't use A/C in my trapping rig I run it Oct to April so it just took away some HP I needed to climb the river break hills for bobcats. I hate to see good parts go to waste enjoy!