PDA

View Full Version : speedometer cable

jamesw
02-05-2018, 11:04 AM
been real cold over the last month and one thing i have noticed is till my auto transmission gets warmed up the speedometer cable will chatter and the needle will fluctuate like crazy once the trans is warmed up everything is fine. so i,m thinking that maybe it needs to be lube i need some pointers on where to start and what to use as a lube like do i use white lithium grease? do i need to pull the dash in order to get to the back of the panel? is there a quick fix? lets start the feed back:)
1988 dodge ram sport automatic trans 2.6l

geezer101
02-05-2018, 01:15 PM
I would take the entire cable and sleeve out, give it a huge clean and flush everything out of it, then drag the cable through the lightest grease you can get. It is a PITA to do but it should (fingers crossed) stop the cable from binding and causing the speedo to bounce. The speedo cables go in all sorts of ugly angles on it's trip to the transmission extension housing.

jamesw
02-06-2018, 01:31 AM
what kind of work are we talking about?
like i said will i have to take the dash apart to get to the back of the cluster panel?
i know getting the cable off the trans shouldn't be that much trouble.
just want to know what i,m getting my self into lol.

just looked on ebay new ones are only like US $17.60 i may just buy a new one and just do a replace instead of a repair.

geezer101
02-06-2018, 02:08 AM
Yeah you have to pull the dash bezel out (blower/vent controls etc), pull the instrument panel out and disconnect the speedo cable. Big, fat cable grommet through the firewall and a couple of bolts holding the cable brackets in place (I know where they are on RHD but not the US market). It might be easier with the US market trucks as the RHD cable runs behind the head and along the firewall...

jamesw
02-06-2018, 05:33 AM
Yeah you have to pull the dash bezel out (blower/vent controls etc), pull the instrument panel out and disconnect the speedo cable. Big, fat cable grommet through the firewall and a couple of bolts holding the cable brackets in place (I know where they are on RHD but not the US market). It might be easier with the US market trucks as the RHD cable runs behind the head and along the firewall...
thank you sir for the info now you want to fly over and have a go at it lol

geezer101
02-06-2018, 01:26 PM
:scratchheadyellow: err, probably have to think about it. My family goes into meltdown if I disappear into the garage for more than 20 minutes lol

jamesw
02-06-2018, 05:49 PM
:scratchheadyellow: err, probably have to think about it. My family goes into meltdown if I disappear into the garage for more than 20 minutes lol
just get a couple life size poster of yourself and put them in different places they want catch on for @ least a couple of hours lol plenty of time to get to the airport :lmao: