PDA

View Full Version : Transmission gets hot but shifts fine

BJH324JH
04-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Could this be because I mixed two different gl-4 rated oils? when it starts to get hot it also slows down the speed. When it's cold it runs normal. also how can you tell if you have a bad clutch.

geezer101
04-12-2018, 02:23 AM
Bad clutch will be slipping or shuddering, excessive pedal travel, hard to shift into reverse (these symptoms are related to all the transmission parts - clutch, pressure plate, thrust bearing, flywheel and clutch arm mechanism). Heat is a by product of friction. Maybe add a friction modifier to the gear oil, check your oil level etc. This will also swallow up HP. I want to try out Petron Plus in a transmission but the stuff isn't cheap - it had better live up to the hype...

BJH324JH
04-12-2018, 06:02 AM
Will clutch replacing require flywheel grinding?

LSR Mike
04-12-2018, 08:39 AM
you should have the flywheel surfaced, look for burned/hot spots.

examples.

tortron
04-12-2018, 08:20 PM
It's normally the done thing as it's all apart already. Most clutch places will do it for free if you buy the rest from them

geezer101
04-13-2018, 01:39 AM
Friend of mine has had 2 flywheels overheat and crack through the crank mounting bolts. Scary...

BJH324JH
04-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Sorry for the late reply guys. My transmission is toast I think. Don't know if a rebuild Will fix it. It sounds like a telephone is ringing when I shift to fourth and fifth. Very annoying. I also don't know if the engine is weak or if it's all the transmissions fault. When I go up hills, the truck can barely go up them at all. The speedometer maxes out to 55mph. Only when going down hill does the truck go past 55mph. It sucks going on the highway and seeing everyone pass you and go out of view and I'm still struggling to get up the hill. Surely our trucks can handle these hills, right?

geezer101
04-13-2018, 11:08 PM
With a stock carb 55mph is about what they can handle (you can get it to perform better by re-tuning the ignition - my tip is here http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/5368-How-to-set-the-timing-on-your-2nd-gen-Mighty-Max-with-ECM-control?p=59777&viewfull=1#post59777) You getting any vibration through the truck? Go hunting for something broken or worn out - trans mount, uni joints etc. The output bearing might be done. If you still have all gears and it feels like it shifts through properly, it's not dead yet. I would also try something out - drain some oil out and add diesel fuel (maybe a little less than a cup), drive it for a day and then dump the lot and add fresh gear oil with a friction modifier that is safe for these gearboxes. Don't beat on it, just regular around town below highway speeds. As for a new clutch, if you have a small hand held electric orbital sander you can use it to de-glaze the face of the flywheel (it should only require machining if it's been munched by a bad clutch friction disc).

tortron
04-14-2018, 01:52 PM
Have had the very same ringing through a trans. Went away when holding the gearstick. Was more water than oil in it, came right after a flush and refil with good oil

BJH324JH
04-14-2018, 06:22 PM
She's going down. I'll be back to post results. Geezer, and everyone thanks for the replies. I have considered everything and the transmission will go down to replace or rebuild