PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to fill gear oil?

scottadams14
05-23-2018, 01:02 PM
Hello everyone, super quick question and hopefully it isn't already posted somewhere else. But is it possible to full the trans with gear oil through the shifter instead of the filler hole thats in the trans tunnel? Its just such a pain in the ass to fill the way that the book says. And I know that you can remove the shifter and pour the oil there on some transmissions of other makes. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

royster
05-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Hey, Scott...that's how I filled my transmission (after putting it back in). I left the filler plug out, and could tell when the trans was full by oil coming out of the filler hole. You can see it pretty good from the cab.

I agree that filling from below the filler hole is a pain. Make sure you seal the shifter facing when reinstalling - perhaps make a new gasket.

scottadams14
05-23-2018, 03:35 PM
Thanks Royster! Trying that now!

scottadams14
05-23-2018, 06:46 PM
Pulling the shifter ended up being big pain as well, so this is my solution. 20466

Law Dog
05-23-2018, 08:38 PM
Suction gun for me!

pennyman1
05-24-2018, 12:42 PM
They make a pump for gear oil that screws onto the bottle - works great for me...

Uncle Spence
05-25-2018, 07:29 AM
Ya those were my suggestions. They have pumps available that can work on a 5-gallon bucket of gear oil or smaller ones for the squeeze bottles. I went your route the last time I did it. No shame in using some scrap hose.

Giovanni89
05-25-2018, 09:32 AM
I used an old fire extinguisher. Unscrewed the top and washed it out really well. I removed the pressure gauge and put a t-fitting. One side of the t has a ball valve and an air coupler. The other side has the pressure gauge. This particular bottle was made of aluminum. Fills the rear axle in about 15 seconds with 80w90.
You unscrew the top, fill it with oil, screw the top back on, connect an air hose, open the ball valve to pressurize, close the ball valve and disconnect the air line. You are then ready to dispense. I ended up putting a curve in the metal spout at the end of the hose so that I could direct the oil downward as I was filling.20487

BJH324JH
05-30-2018, 03:00 PM
This is the pump I used:
Works okay. I would recommend a longer hose and clamping the clear hose to the nozzle. It will come shooting off from the nozzle if you don't clamp it to the nozzle. You'll also avoid scrubbing off the oil from your hair.

85Ram50
05-30-2018, 04:56 PM
This is what I used to do the trans oil. Pumped right out of the bottle. You can pour direct down the hose too. I figure it will work on the differential as well. It was only $8 give or take a couple dollars. I got it at a local parts store cannot remember which one.