PDA

View Full Version : 1991 monty max 4x4. V6 to 4g swap & RHD. need 4g fit aide

vagrant_mugen
03-02-2019, 11:51 PM
ok. so im new to jap vehicles and new to 4x4's, but not to autos. esp not 80's vw's
audis and bmw's. so im a recovering german car enthusiast.

so ive had this 1991 mighty max for a few years now, bout a year an a half ago i stuffed
the nose into a lift gate of a box truck (dont ask), so its needed a front end for a bit.
Ive always wanted a montero, love the noses. so im putting a monty nose on in place
of the square headlights.

And after digging into the front end w repairs and noticing how simple it would be to swap
the steering over from LHD to Right hand drive (its just a matter of replacing the steering box,
idler arm and tie-rod link rod with the RHD mirror-image units from the UK etc, the entire brake/clutch
pedal assembly moves over to the right side of the firewall. piece of cake.)

so ive got a new RHD idler arm in the post, shud be here next week. thatll tell me if they are
indeed the same bolt pattern and then ill have a steering box and tie rod link shipped over.
i havnt looked into getting a dashboard, its gonna be pricey to ship such a large part, so i might
just make a custom aluminum dash w montero gauges and center console, idk yet...

So, i want to shitcan the crappy V6, ive always preferred 4 cyls. obviously id love to swap in
a turbo 4g, but ive done the turbo thing and im just after a nice reliable modern DOHC 16v.
i was gonna swap in a toyota 2/3RZ after driving one super torquey, then i read the newer 4g64's
are about the same output and it'd be nice to keep it all mitsu. this brings me to my issue;

after reading thru the 4g RWD thread i encountered some forgotten issues.
my plan was to get a 4g outta a 01-05 eclipse and install that with an 87-89 montero
4g transaxle/clutch/starter. heres where i hit the speedbump.
i forgot about the narrow/wide block thing.
-So the big Questions;

-Will a 01-05 eclipse block bolt up to the 87-88 montero 4g bellhousing???
(i believe the montero's/max's ran the narrow block/bellhousing 4g's...)

-Im seeing 3 different FW/crank bolt patterns, 6, 7, and 8 bolt cranks.
i need to know what flywheel is gonna work on the 01-05 eclipse crank
and montero bellhousing??? (if the 4g monty bellhousing doesnt work im going to
make a new bellhousing to fit what i need. i just need a flywheel that'll bolt up to
the newer 4g64 crank and work w a 4WD/RWD setup...)
i was gonna run all 4g montero clutch stuff until i noticed the different crank bolt patts

im sorry for the long read just tryin to explain where im at.if anybody has any tips/info/recommendations
please feel free to school me.
i dont know pic posting yet, but ill tryin get on that asap, we all know w/out pics its not a build......

thanks for any help!
-J.W.

dash
03-03-2019, 12:57 AM
it appears that you live/like a complicated life :) .....but are up to a challenge
Let's see.... you love torque, but don't want turbo.
Well, the Mivec 3.8 V6 will leave all of your 4cyl candidates mentioned in the dust
That swap is documented on the forum, and your particular truck is the ideal recipient
http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/5044-1990-Max-4X4-Build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSjpa22Gj20&feature=youtu.be

MrPaco
03-03-2019, 05:53 AM
Looking forward to seeing this one come to life!

JW, here's an easy way to post photos

Click the photo icon at the top of the page:

Then this little dialog box pops up, follow these steps:

1. click on the "From Computer" tab on the top
2. click on "Choose File" button and select the photo from your computer (try to use horizontal photos, the system will turn vertical photos sideways)
3. click the "Upload File(s)" button- it will turn red, give it a few seconds, your photo will show up

Hope that makes sense

vagrant_mugen
03-03-2019, 06:58 PM
I'm trying to NOT stay 6cyl, unless it was sub-2.8 displacement, and even then I prefer 4cyls....
I'm not after a bunch of torque, the stock 2.4L 16v output is fine w me. I'd rather the better mileage.
Not dead set on no-boost, but I'm not trying to boost off the bat unless I got a bitchin deal on a 4g63t.

Rite now I'm just trying to figure out if the 2001-05 eclipse 4g64 will match an 87-89 monty/max 4x4 bellhousing?
If it will match, what flywheel am I gonna need & what crank bolt count/pattern are they???

I can fab a bell housing w/out much worry, but I'm seeing 6, 7 & 8 bolt flywheels, I are confused.

Thank you for the pic instructions. I'll try in get some posted up soon.

geezer101
03-03-2019, 07:17 PM
For this to be a successful swap, it needs to be either a 6 or 7 bolt crank (6 bolt = 1G engine/7 bolt = 2G engine) You won't even need to pull them apart to identify them as the 6 bolt engine has a flat sump profile all the way around the base of the block, while the 2G engine has a curved face under the oil pump/crank pulley end of the block. All FWD 4G6X engines are narrow block. The RWD truck 4G64 is a wide block so bear that in mind when planning a swap (using the 5 speed out of a G63B 2.0 truck makes the conversion straight forward) Look up projectzeroG (http://projectzerog.com/) to collect all the info for a RWD engine swap. This is a fantastic resource site to guide you into the dark realm of Mitsubishi power :thumbup:

dash
03-04-2019, 04:57 AM
it's not a given that you'll get better mileage with the 4cyl over the v6. 4 works harder, revs higher.
My very 1st swap was 4cyl to V6.
Same car had noticeably improved economy(est ~15%) with far better driveability (due to torque increase)
Broke the diff immediately & upgraded to bigger, taller ratio (2.92:1 iirc). Same tire diameter
Driveability improved again with fuel economy at least 30% over the 4cyl.... and that's not even trying to granny drive it

Also, better make sure your oem V6 gearing, suits the torque curve whatever 4cyl you choose
Add boost to a 4cyl ?? No comparison. There goes the fuel economy 'theory'. Optimum gear ratio changes once again.

I like your 'anything can fit' spirit

vagrant_mugen
03-05-2019, 07:00 AM
Add boost to a 4cyl ?? No comparison. There goes the fuel economy 'theory'.

Not in my experience. Try keeping your foot outta the firewall and off boost ud be surprised, they still behave like a 4 cyl
economy wise. If you cant get it to then you can't restrain yourself enough to stop the spool and blow off sounds ALL the time, or your
tune is too rich off boost. I've NO experience with superchargers, or tiny stock turbos for that matter, just to clarify.

Daily drive one for a year or two, they don't hafta go WOT all day, same as a street bike. They don't mind the revs, but they don't
HAVE to scream the whole time. Unless your into that. (screamers are a good time, if they're not obnoxious screamers.... 😉)

The mill I'm aiming to swap in has the same output as the V6 that its replacing. I'm not trying to run an OEM 8v 80's slug of
a low compression turd here. I could give a toss about displacement and anything over 6 cyls ive very little interest in
unless its like a corsair 20-somthing cylinder airplane engine(which I still have no true understanding of yet, due to lack of research)

I like sub 2.8 liter 6 cyls and 4 cyls. I don't see a need for anything bigger than that in a daily driver/ recreational vehicle.
Displacement has a replacement, boost is best.

vagrant_mugen
03-05-2019, 07:03 AM
I just noticed yesterday that this thread should be in the 4x4 section.
I saw mkII Montero/ max and dove right in, my bad. If a mod wants to move it that's fine w me,
I'm sorry for the hasty posting....

Chargerx3
03-05-2019, 05:11 PM
You have the rare V6 4x4 with V5MT1 transmission and 4.22 gears. Anything other than a replacement 6G7* from a Mitsubishi will not work with your current setup. Honestly if you want to have a 4g6* in there then get an 89 or older. What I think you are missing though is that torque will be better with the V6 and all of your drive train components are beefier as well. You can still get great fuel economy with a V6 and have plenty of power. I’m a turbo guy myself but decided to go 3.8L with MIVEC. Best decision as it bolted right up to my existing 3.0 bellhousing. Now there is obviously more stuff to tackle but it’s all doable and reliable. Don’t be close minded. Get another V6 and enjoy.

dash
03-05-2019, 07:04 PM
install a turbo, only to 'drive around' it ? who does that ? Makes absolutely no sense
Boost onset with motor under load, needs a fat a/f ratio. Try to lean it out and see what happens
Motor spends a tremendous amount of time under such condition.... moderate acceleration from stop or low speed
How u gonna avoid that ?
Put on a slower spooling big turbo.... and the goal is daily driveability ? Not smart at all
Oem put small quick spooling turbos on there for one reason. Tq curve, Reckon they don't know what they're doing ?

I'm an old rear wheel drive corolla guy. Here's a classic scenario
Begin life with the free revving 1.6dohc. Amusing drive. Hi 40s mpg hwy... at a penalty of hi 16sec 1/4s
Ever popular SR20 swap take it to another performance dimension. Hi 12s stock T25/28 turbo, but mileage cut in half
Owner gets a taste of the silky smooth 4.0 litre lexus V8, then yanks out the SR20 2.0 replacing it with the 4.0.
Mileage improves to between the 2.0 and 1.6. Also no comparison in driveability whatsoever
Just a tap on the throttle, presses you in the seat, scoots away strongly. Hi 12sec 1/4 as well
Motor, loom & ecu typically cost a few hundred bucks in junkyards. Weigh same as the SR20! No more swaps

Displacement has a replacement, boost is best
Don't believe that horse5hit... we'd all be driving 1.0L if that were true

vagrant_mugen
03-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Its been 10 years since I've had a build thread, I'm beginning to recall why I stopped.
My need for social approval and positive reinforcement is far out weighed by my utter hatred of being told everything I'm doing
wrong, all the time.

Sorry i forgot this is america. Even on a jap forum I get accosted for even thinking about "downgrading" to a 4 cyl w out boost...
You cunts would be humping my leg if this was a 4g63t swap.

Thanks for the few bits of viable information regarding my questions, those of you who were helpful & interested.
Perhaps I'll still tryin post some pics for those who can bear to watch the degradation....

dash
03-06-2019, 01:29 AM
its your ride, put whatever you like in it. No choice will be 'wrong', and definitely don't need our approval
it's just that your reasoning is wack and all over the place. No need to get all up in your feelings
So what if common sense prevails here. Should we appologize for it ? We can't assume you know everything
Like this assuption

You cunts would be humping my leg if this was a 4g63t swap
True we're fond of the 4g63t, but you gotta pull your head out to acknowledge other/better options
Why do you think the 3.8 mivec swap happened ?
There is a link around here where a guy turbocharged a $90 dodge caravan motor.
Essentially the same 12 valve truck motor. Made over 500hp/500ft-lbs tq with that 100% bone stock pos 3.0 V6
That's right, without changing a single part on that old tired junkyard motor!
Had I known that way back, I would have never gotten deep into 4G63t gear
V6 is way smoother, no balance shaft crap, compact, better torque throughout = a better drive period, etc...
That's just two samples of folks operating outside the norm and winding up with fantastic results

as long as your one-off approach gets you to where you wanna be.... its all that matters really
whatever powerplant you decide on post it. We can appreciate it all the same

Chargerx3
03-06-2019, 05:35 AM
Wow, not get your way much? My 16 year old niece acts better than this.

geezer101
03-06-2019, 01:21 PM
...everybody, just chill. Like seriously. :)

vagrant_mugen
03-06-2019, 05:34 PM

vagrant_mugen
03-06-2019, 06:10 PM
it worked. here they come look out....

these are the bolts/holes that hold the steering box & idler arm.
i ordered a RHD idler arm from the UK last week, its for the next generation mkIII L200, but the bolt pattern looks
very close to the mkII L200/max. its taking its sweet time to get here unfortunatley, soon as it does
and i can verify the pattern is the same or close enough to mod, ill order the box and get that coming.
i fear to see the shipping quote on that, the new idler arm cost $40, shipping (slow shipping was $50)
funny enuff, the corner lights i ordered are coming from Lithuania, and are already in Queens NY, i think i ordered them
the same day or the next day. regardless u'd think itd take longer to get from northern european continent than
from the British Isles, whatever IDK.

got some progress made on the interiour. pulled the dash, a/c unit, blower motor, and heater box.
now i can start replicating brackets to move the column and pedal cluster assembly to the right side.
you can see the spots the brake master (B) and clutch masters (C) go on the firewall.
theres an entire panel spot welded onto the firewall that has the pedal cluster studs welded to it
its welded on the bay side so the studs stick thru into the cab to catch the pedals, the brake booster
studs are also on or thru this panel, its to re-inforce the firewall and make locating the pedals quick in
assembly at the plant. im sure theres a LHD & RHD panel as they are stamped w ridges & such, so i cant
quite flip it over, ill hafta cut out a mirror image from some 1/8" sheet and spot weld that to the right
firewall. you can see it in these pics, around the booster and near that diagonal groove in the firewall

vagrant_mugen
03-06-2019, 06:16 PM
i have to do all this in somewhat stealth. I live w my father here in our shop, and he thinks RHD is
"F'in stupid" and that "youve got enough trouble driving on the left hand side thats the last thing you need"
and ive gotta keep this thing drivable to move in and out of the way. this is our residential shop and not the buisness
shop, so its not busy, but its still gotta stay mobile. so ive got to get everything ready to go and swap the pedals
& steering over in one evening. shud go quicky once everything is ready to go and the brackets are all ready to bolt
everything up. if that damn idler arm would get here id order the box and get this shit done!!! dagnabbit.

vagrant_mugen
03-06-2019, 06:27 PM
oh, the grille shud be here tomarra, and once i can get this next door to the welder ill finish fixing the nose
get it straight & work out the fenders to take the monty bezels/corners. im fabbing the lower front valance thing
that crosses underneath the headlites & grille myself.
https://cs.copart.com/v1/AUTH_svc.pdoc00001/PIX94/53df923e-378a-484f-9c3a-36d1893430a4.JPG
the monty hoods are more pronounced forward where the grille
meets it, the max hood doesnt push forward its flatter there. ill post pics of the rad support & lower crossmember i end up
making up to replace the smashed up parts, itll have mounts for the new grille and valance.
this is kinda what its gonna look like:
https://www.rockcrawler.de/gallery/userImages/07/36573-07af5dd2.jpg

vagrant_mugen
03-06-2019, 06:29 PM
jesus the size of that pic my bad...
https://www.rockcrawler.de/gallery/userImages/64/35747-64716d89-tiny.jpg

MrPaco
03-06-2019, 06:40 PM
This is gonna be cool

vagrant_mugen
03-06-2019, 06:56 PM
too bad the truck is red. i really dont care for red.....

i forgot the badness i found. gonna pull the bed to fix the frame, the floor shouldnt be aweful.... still what a bummer.

steve1814
03-07-2019, 04:53 AM
What size is the workshop you are working in? I want to build one in a couple years and that looks about the right size for me.

vagrant_mugen
03-07-2019, 01:24 PM
its pretty big. its 4300 sq ft including the offices (x3) two of which are now bedrooms.
theres x2 bathrooms, a small w sink & toilette, then a bigger bath prolly 8ft x 16ft had a long 3 person sink
and 1 toilette w/ a partition & door, now it has a shower stall, deep shop sink, stack washer/dryer & the same toilette w/ a partition & door.
my father & myself each have a bedroom, but the open shop space we split with another guy who basically just stores vehicles
thats who's white dodge & older green van & that older pickup, beetle, & newer cadillac are. the line is right at the lift.
my monty max is on his side right now, behind the shooter spot is our side of the shop....
if you want some tour pics i can PM you some. LMK

vagrant_mugen
03-07-2019, 01:31 PM
i got my grille & corner lights today, imma go tape them on w/ clear packing tape to snap some
vanity pics real quick. ill post some shortly.

Wish that friggin Idler arm would hurry its stuck-up british ass on up an arrive. i wanna order the steering box asap.
i realized last nite that because 1 of my brakelines is popped, and the parking brake works, that i can pull the
brake master & booster off the firewall and move it over while im waiting for the steering bits... so when it finally
does arrive ill have evrything ready to go and shouldnt take but an hour or 2 to finish, save the P/S lines
which i mite make myself but if i have any sense ill have them sent along with the RHD box.
pics shortly, just found my packing tape. heheheh

vagrant_mugen
03-07-2019, 03:02 PM
its a rough fit, it appears the overall width of the grille & bezels is a bit wider than
the max nose, so imma hafta do some trimming, probly to the bezels as they are available
new still and the grilles are not, so ill probly leave that alone and mod the bezels instead.
imma tryin get the brake lines out so i can pull the booster off...

MrPaco
03-07-2019, 07:27 PM
Not sure what part the bezels are, and can't really tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like the grill is the same with as the hood, it's just the parking lights that are too wide.
Could you use MM/D-50 parking lights instead? They seem narrower. They come in orange and orange/clear configurations. The latter might work for this.
It might look a little off, but then again, doesn't this whole rig look a little off?... (in a good way)

geezer101
03-07-2019, 09:29 PM
A little buzz here and there, maybe relocate mounting holes and add a bracket or 2 - but it'll go together. This will make the casual onlooker go "what is this thing?". The chrome grille is a bold statement. Can't wait to see the end product :thumbup:

vagrant_mugen
03-07-2019, 10:19 PM
the bezels are the black plastic headlite surrounds that hold the corners.

No no no, the chrome is just the only one i could find. its gonna be all black with a white emblem and white MITSUBISHI lettering.

so the brake booster is done. i still have to make the firewall re-enforcement plate. you can see it here better, it actually
goes all the way down and surrounds the steering column port as well as the gas pedal mounting holes.
i still gotta make mounts to the raintray inside the cab, and tweak the pedal arm a bit.
but its damn close i think.
so i been looking at the steering box and the frames mounting holes, i think that modding the right front axle
mount arm to go down, and if one cut off the front most mount and moved it down & out of the way of the steering
box pivot to the drop link (hope thats the correct name) somthing like this:
the green is the cut and notch of the lower c.arm bracket, the grey is kinda how the arm would need
to go to clear the frame enuff for the LHD box to mount inside the framerail instead of a mirrored RHD steering box
it wouldnt change the offset over the framerail but maybe an inch towards the center of the rig.
from the OEM angle the column is on from the wheel to the box right now, i dont think this would be any
more of an angle. the only thing that would be off is the distance between the pivots of the steering box
and the idler arm. i was hoping the idler arm mite take up the difference, idk my experiance w this kinda steering
is a week old.....
perhaps someone with some deeper knowledge of steering setups might help dissuade this idea????

dash
03-08-2019, 01:34 AM
that grille looks similar to same year dodge dakota. Nice touch
http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/uploads/photoalbum/92-dodge-dakota-249000-94-motor-149000-mi-runs-great-10.jpg
All u need now is an "I4" badge to replace the "V6" emblem in the corner :)

Truck looks tuff.... even tougher is your mindset, to tackle this venture. Interesting

vagrant_mugen
03-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Its still a 6 for now you smartass. He he.
It does look very close, its not the most attractive grille, everybody should be clear about the trucks manufacturer at least.

This truck is tough. I must say that the 4 inch body lift is very nice so far as providing more space to work on things....
I can't wait to get this thing painted NOT red. I always end up w red vehicles cause its my least favorite colour, gonna be
a bitch to cover it all up.

MrPaco
03-08-2019, 03:10 PM
the bezels are the black plastic headlite surrounds that hold the corners.

Oh, I see. But again, it looks like the bezels line up with the hood, the same way the square light bezels do. So it looks like what's too big is the parking/turn signal lights. If you trim the bezels it wont line up with the hood and might look weird.
I bet you that if you used the Ram 50 parking lights it would be the correct width.

There's a version of the lights (sold in the Australian market, I'm told by my friends here) that is two tones, amber and clear like the Montero, and fits two bulbs, one for parking light and one for the turn signal. Here is one with the silver trim, could't find a black one just now, but I know they are out there as my truck has them:
https://www.ebay.com/p/MITSUBISHI-CC-MIGHTY-MAX-L200-D50-COLT-ME-MJ-UTE-L200-PICKUP-CORNER-LAMP-LIGHT/1229981465

Here's a picture of the front of my truck, you can see how the two tone corner lights look like (and also confirm that the square bezels line up with the hood, like the round one do)

Just a suggestion, might be worth considering, as the trimmed bezels could end up looking weird.

It's gonna be a fun truck no matter what :thumbup:

vagrant_mugen
03-08-2019, 05:35 PM
Yeah I'll mess around w some stuff. The front end isn't even squared back up yet, the left fender needs to get
yanked back out away from the center, and the right side still needs mending. Once I get it back over to the body
shoppe I'll finish getting the nose all buttoned up, mount the headlights, build upper & lower cross member/rad supports
Hang the grille & bezels, etc......
I'll pull the bed off so I can repair the rott in the frame behind the cab, then sandblast the whole frame/undercarriage as well
as the cabs bottom, back , rockers & engine bay. Blow off as much red paint as possible, I'm thinking about doin inside the cab
too. The entire dash is out, I'm pulling the seat, carpet and door cards so I can paint the jams & door insides, I'm gonna sandblast
every red part that isn't external body. Then I'll know that there's no more rust, rott, and most importanly no more Red.
Imma industrial pre-prime, epoxy prime & topcoat everything over again from bare white blasted steel. No foolin this trucks gonna
be brand new again. I just hope I don't destroy it again like I do to every other vehicle i be owned..... Prayin like hell.
everything

geezer101
03-08-2019, 10:10 PM
Yeah the combination parking/indicator corner lights are for the Aust/UK market. I'd recommend looking into soda blasting. Sand blasting is hell aggressive - I have a Karmann Ghia some idiot attacked with a sand blaster and a 9" flap sander and they pretty much ruined it. Red paint is a biatch to cover up so I get you don't feel up to rubbing everything back by hand. Fingers crossed you can either find someone who can do you a deal or you can source the equipment and give it a shot yourself.

vagrant_mugen
03-08-2019, 10:43 PM
My father is a sandblaster and painter. We know how to do it. You can warp the hell outta body panels super easy,
esp w big equipment like padres got. Fine sand and black beauty don't tear it up as bad. General rule is don't blast
exterior panels period. I'm talkin structural/floor/panel hidden areas.
Can use corn cob or walnut shells as well if non-abrasive is required. Soda blasting is a
friggin mess. Too fine any humidity screws u up. Shits nasty PITA in my opinion.

I'm trying to bribe this bloke from Newton Abbott, United Kingdom rite now to expedite a box to me, I'm up to
£240 shipped, that's my ceiling I think.....

vagrant_mugen
03-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Alright. I jumped the gun and have a mk3 L200 steering box and lines going out Monday, got the guy
to do £200 shipped, or $260~. Not terrible and its off a newer truck.
Hopefully it'll get here nice and quick. Same gen as the idler arm I ordered, the hole pattern looks really
close to my mk2, I was supposed to wait to make sure w the idler but I'm getting impatient waiting so......
padre knows now and surprisingly he's cool with it. No reason to be sneaky anymore.
I still need it to be movable, but I can get all the brackets and mounts sorted out while I'm waiting for
the box to arrive, then just hafta move the column, clutch & accel pedal over & swap in the RHD box/arm.

Gonna be so super dope JDM schweetness OMG so F'in cool.... Funny tho it'll probly double the value of the truck.
Never mind the Montero nose. This thing resto'd, blasted & painted RHD shud fetch 5 grand I'd like to hope,
Thats with the OEM v6 tidied up, no motor swap.... The rareness factor alone stateside, IDK.

Those Lil Honda douchers would be so jealous if they knew how easy this is to do on these riggs.
My friends have a shop in higganum they do alot of RHD civic swaps.
Clowns are actually drilling out every single spotweld and literally swapping out the entire firewall so its
"legit JDM spec" I understand but I think they're crazy. I think I'd rather chop the front clip off in front of
the front seats and mate the JDM front clip to the USD rear, prolly be faster then it'd be a real JDM car, kinda.
They purchase the entire front clip cut behind the front seats, maybe in front of I forget, from these
JDM Honda warehouses in jersey full of JDM engines & front clips. If only they had those for
Mitsu/Toyota trucks & suvs.

geezer101
03-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Awesome, you got a plan and thus so far it's all falling into place. Mitsubishi stuff is surprisingly cross platform adaptable and you'll find a lot of parts can be swapped and/or upgraded. I admit it's not always a nut and bolt swap but it usually doesn't take much to get to the end goal. We have (had?) a member that bought a RHD delivered truck in the states and it got tongues flapping in no time. The other rarity are actual Mitsubishi US dealership delivered pick ups and 4x4's. For it to be legit Mitsubishi JDM you'd have to find the right body badges to match it (no biggie). Mitsubishi cheaped out and made their panels "one fit to do everything" on most production runs so you'll see all of the locations to run heater hoses, A/C, brake booster etc for one market visible for another market. Plugging and welding up the holes won't be hard either especially if you have a shop like you do to work in.

vagrant_mugen
03-12-2019, 12:11 AM
my bad been slacking on picture posting:
so i made a template of the OEM firewall re-enforcement plate for whatever stupid reason
as afterward i realized that its a totally different layout on the right side of the firewall...
whatever.
and i started to lay out the steering column port, its actually kinda in a similar spot as the
LHD template, im not going to drill/cut anything until the box arrives and i can move the
steering wheel permanently on the RHD-side. then i can see where the hole needs to go.
i dont think there is ANY kind of flex or u-joint INSIDE the firewall, the 1st on the column is
just past the firewall in the engine bay, the 2nd is down at the box. so the firewall hole/port needs
to be in the correct spot, then the shafts bushing/seal unit can get bolted to the firewall round it.

But i got the clutch located, hole cut and stud holes drilled, the support plate cut out, ready to spot-weld onto the wall.
mounted the pedal unit and started fabbing the support bracket that gets welded to the firewall under the windshield:
and got my wiper linkage pulled out to move over. what a bitch. only x2 of the x6 nuts were NOT rott-welded onto the studs
managed to get a small set of needle nose vicegrips into the raintray and grabbed onto the bases, after i ground off the tip
of the studs flush with the nuts, so as to ease removal and not have to spin the nut over crusty blown up rotted metal,
but still saving enuff of the stud to re-use the linkage assm.
the factory punched out the 1st hole pattern for the wiper-stem & studs of the RHD set, but the furthest set is not theref
or whatever reason. so i transferred the pattern over and drilled out the stud holes, ive yet to cut the big slot for the stem.
you can see there is this drip shield thing to cover the inlet of the blower motors fresh air intake, ive gotta cut that out
because the wiper linkage doesnt clear it. i was going to tryin drill out the spot welds, u can see them in white paint marks
but then i thought better of possibly blasting holes thru my cowel and firewall, so i think im gonna use a cutoff wheel and
slice iit out flush under the cowel, then weld a flange back on it and transplant it to the left side for the new blower intake.

And the wiper motor has to get moved over as well, so i cut out the part of the firewall/raintray wall that the mounting
bosses/weldnuts were on (which i only did when i couldnt reach the 4th of x4 wiper linkage studs w the vicegrips, like a jerk)
so im swapping the pieces of the firewall so the Left side looks how it would OE RHD, theres a funky C-shaped indent where the
motor mounts up to the firewall, see:
thats all for now, more soon.
i just hope this bloke i ordered the steering box from gets that expedited ASAMFP. i paid him $315 for a $100 steering box, a
set of p/s lines, and a RHD accell pedal. he only wanted like $260 shipped i sent him the extra $40 to get him moving...
paid him sunday nite (early monday mornin in UK) but i dont think he made it to the post. i just hope expidition gets it here
by the weekend. im not gonna hold my breath, the idler arm still aint here....
ill keep yall posted tho fo shur.
nite nite

claych
03-12-2019, 11:20 AM
This project sukz ---no Isuzu engine:lmao::lmao::lmao:
JUST KIDDING !!!

Thank You for the pics/updates--- Just Superlative !!!

geezer101
03-12-2019, 02:19 PM
Completely forgot about having to swap the wiper arm assembly. It would be nice if you could get parts to do the factory RHD swap. Wonder if you'd get anything out of Canada... :think:

tortron
03-12-2019, 05:04 PM
Plenty of parts down here

vagrant_mugen
03-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Completely forgot about having to swap the wiper arm assembly. It would be nice if you could get parts to do the factory RHD swap. Wonder if you'd get anything out of Canada... :think:

Canadia got all LHD as well as US, sucks cause thatd be great if they did get RHD's up there. there'd be a shit-ton more
RHD vehicles in the states thats for sure.

I been thinking about ur PM about the wiper/turn signal switches roundd the steering wheel. like i said i didnt realize that
the RHD cars have the headlight/turnsignal stalk on the Right side of the wheel, rather than on the left side as the LHD
vehicles have. You said it'd be a pain to deal with them switched as of 20years of driving used to it on the left...
But after some pondering, i realized what a PITA its gonna be to keep it on the left like it is OEM stateside.
picture it, every time your coming to a stop & turn, your downshifting with your right hand and steering with ur left.
You hit the turn signal stalk with your middle or ring finger as your steering with your LEFT hand, prolly positioned on the
LEFTish side of the wheel.
Now imagine your driving a RHD rigg, doing the same stop & turn. your downshifting with your left hand, and steering
with your RIGHT. as you start slowing down you have to reach up with your LEFT hand, or move ur RIGHT hand around the
steering wheel to reach the turn signal stalk on the left side of the wheel. RHD riggs, esp manual transmissions, you steer
dominantly with your RIGHT hand. so to have the turn signal stalk as close to your dominant steering hand for smooth, quick
& fluid access only makes sense. Not an immediate issue, but definitley worth getting the proper RHD switches in the future.

Plenty of parts down here
well the UK is less than satifactory, i bet things would arrive quicker from the other side of the globe, rather
than 5000miles away cross the atlantic..., this is just stupid.
that sure sounded like an offer to ship things up & over to
Im not tryin to talk shite about the british, im sure theres alot of very hard workers on that island,
but the x2 guys ive dealt with in the past 2 weeks were less than ambitious. IDK, i just want this box to get
here so i can move everthing over & done. then i can get blastin & painting the frame, and all the NON-exteriour
body panels. i finshed the clutch pedal support backet, just need to weld on m8 nuts and spot-weld the whole
onto the firewall above the column:

tortron
03-12-2019, 11:52 PM
Depends on the car as to side of indicator switch. Gets me every time in the Mrs' golf

geezer101
03-13-2019, 12:32 AM
I could get RHD column covers and switch assemblies all day cheap here. The 'good' thing is the Australian dollar is toilet paper at the moment (yay :shakehead:) so the exchange rate would be in your favour. Meh, I'd toss in a couple of Oz market body and fender badges as well... 2 plastic cases and a switch yoke would weigh stuff all (I'm not even sure if you'd need the column covers anyway...)

vagrant_mugen
03-13-2019, 05:33 AM
I was falling asleep at the keyboard, that's why there's no pics. I'll get some up today,
Sorry

vagrant_mugen
03-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Holy crap that post is terrible. I swore I loaded pictures.... Kept passing out and waking up to a page of jibberish
from my hand on the keyboard.

I'll definitely take a proper set of switch yokes if u can find em. Mite have a couple other small, lite weight RHD bits I'll
need as well, I'll let one or both of you know when I have a small list...

Wanker still giving me the runaround on the steering box. I gave him 12 more hours to send me a tracking number.
Should've just pulled outta this I'm sure I'll regret not canceling yesterday. Lazy MFers.
Your gonna sell shit on ebay, get the stuff shipped out once ur paid. Bollocks

This anglo, uber-retarded timing is messin up my tune big time. Gonna push this back another week at least.
I mite have to switch gears and clean out my carbs on my 600r ninja, its getting warmer out.
Once I run out of brackets to make & holes to cut/drill imma have some time to twiddle my thumbs waiting on parts.

I'll re post that mess from last note in a bit. I would edit it but I'm still on probation being a newbie here.

geezer101
03-13-2019, 01:50 PM
Make a donate to the site. You get perks like unlocking the edit function, the site stays up and operational - everyone wins :thumbup:

vagrant_mugen
03-13-2019, 09:22 PM
i finshed the clutch pedal support backet, just need to weld on m8 nuts and spot-weld the whole thing
onto the firewall above the column:
IF that damnable steering box and idler arm ever show up, the next thing is going to be cutting and modifying
the steering column support bar that mounts under the column from the side of the cab to the bolt-in upright
at the center console. the long side needs to switch with the short side thusley:
then i think im going to re-use the upper column support, its just so pretty.
but in all honesty, i can actually re-use it because the firewall on the right side is the same height and
shape as the left. most of the other parts were at different distances from things in there new RHD locals...
im planning on replikating the OEM pajero dashboard out of sheet steel, its all straight bends across the span
of the wind screen so i shouldnt be too difficult to do. ill probly omit the middle vents as i never
use them:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/4x4-vehicles/542002d1304924295t-my-1989-mitsubishi-pajero-generation-i-mk1-restoration-thread-photo0415.jpg
i was thinking about using an oem center console, but i kind of like the fact i can cut/weld and mount anything
i want to it, not to mention repairs or further modifications. i like the look of the mkI dashboard alot,
much better than the mighty max's.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bb/28/30/bb28303b8a054103764f53cdf5999a00.jpg
so nice and simple and clean and sharp looking.

vagrant_mugen
03-13-2019, 09:30 PM
jesus WTF.
heres the 1st 4 pictures:
22032 2203322034 22035
and hell yeah im gonna plasma out the mitsu emblem on that bracket.
and the 5th pic that didnt load properly
And yes im planning on donating soon as i have sommore cash, NOT ONLY because id like to edit my posts
in situations such as these....

vagrant_mugen
03-13-2019, 10:22 PM
Definitely NOT looking forward to adding 4 foot of wires individually to extend that chassis harness to get it to reach
the right hand side. I don't wanna wait or pay for the proper one so F it. Give me something to do while I wait
for these steering bits to arrive....

I've been trying to think of a place to relocate my battery to, and perhaps add if not a 2nd battery just yet, at least
a spot where it can go when I want/need it. I'd usually go to the trunk/boot with them, but I don't have a boot on this.
I don't want to take up any bed space, and behind the seats would be a major pain in the ass.
I think I'm going to cut a trap door in the new passenger (old drivers) side floor in front of the seat, and weld in a nice
double size battery box that will protrude down next to the framerail. With the 4inch body lift there is more than enuff
space, and its bottom wouldnt be lower than the frames. Anybody have any possible con's regarding such placement???
It'll prolly be made outta 1/8 inch sheet steel so It won't crush easily from below....

tortron
03-13-2019, 11:38 PM
Some of the 4wd trucks have the battery under the tray. Right hand side near the bed mounts. The lower panel of the wellside tray is made to be removable.

Would you not just move the loom over to the other side of the truck? All the mounts and holes are there already

vagrant_mugen
03-14-2019, 02:14 AM
I'll hafta look a Lil closer at what it goes to exactly, but I'd hafta swap the chassis harness with the engine injection
harness, the ecu is mounted in front of the door jam just inside the cab on the right hand side.
So I'd need to re-route the injection loom to the other side and the chassis loom visa-versa haye???
I believe your versions just have either an extension loom to bring the dash & controls plug ends to the right side.

"The lower panel of the well side tray...." Ur going to need to re phrase that or direct me to the area ur speaking of by
describing other surrounding objects, cause I've no clue what a well-side tray is, forgive my ignorance.

Its like the bonnet=hood, boot=trunk, loom=harness, etc.... I'm just not familiar with the rest of the body
panels, translations, if you will, into Aussie, kiwi & British English dialect, or slang. I would like to learn
tho, in no way meant to offend anyone w anything I wrote. I like hearing/learning new "strains" of english

geezer101
03-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Well, I know that Oz and NZ don't refer to D-50's and MM's as 'trucks' but we do it to fit the the format here (we call them 'utes' - the abbreviation of light utility vehicle) South Africans call them 'bakkas' (probably something to do with throwing your payload in the back) I think the ECU's in RHD trucks are still mounted on the left side but under where the glovebox is situated :shrug:

vagrant_mugen
03-14-2019, 11:54 PM
Nice teach me some more s.African terms! An even the outback variation too wouldbe awesome.

My idler arm is supposedly here, unfortunately at present its locked in the mailbox and my 2 attempts to
coerce the lock into rotating open, failed. Being that this was at 1-1:30am I decided to abort any further
attempts at lock smithing & avoid getting arrested for tampering with a mailbox lockin the wee hours..
So I'll hafta wait til morning.

After further inspection of the chassis & injection looms, they both jump from the firewall to the engine almost
in the middle of the firewall, as well as there is a ziptied loop of extra length in the inj. loom under the bonnett,
so I shud be kosher to swap the ecu side with the fuseblock side where they go thru the firewall.
Same size holes, an then the fuses will be on the drivers side ( I was gonna leave em on the left over the battery's
new location, but it'll be more properist on the right switched w the ecu.)
Only thing that makes me nervous is the wires being so old and brittle, I hope none crack & develop
phantom shorts.

I have no tracking info on the steering box, seller & eBay states that its shipped, but there's no track package
tab and he ain't replying to my messages anymore... So well have to wait & see I suppose.

I have some rear brake line/system deletion quandaries, but I'll wait til I have some pictures to splain a bit more
pacifically to yall... ;)

geezer101
03-15-2019, 02:32 AM
Yeah if mess with DSM stuff you will soon hear about wiring harnesses developing mystery faults from broken wires. Put money on trucks suffering from similar issues when you man handle the wiring. I don't know beans about South African slang - only found out when I was looking up where the Mighty Max/Triton/L200 ended up being sold around various continents etc (it might even be 'bakkie' :shrug: - got a feeling might be the latter...) Ugh I hope you don't get played from the guy in the UK. Getting burnt like that doesn't do your faith in humanity any favours :shakehead:

vagrant_mugen
03-15-2019, 03:28 PM
So the idler arm is here. Yae. box was totally F'ed, one seam torn completely open, no
packing material to speak of. the whole arm was hangin out the side when i picked it up....
but the part wasnt damaged, the nut was threaded on enuff to not spin off somehow, if
there was a cotter pin/grease fitting they are long gone. no worrys.

My hasty purchasing has supplied me with parts off of a 2005 mkIII trition/L200, which is nice
cause they are newer parts, esp the steering box which is used. But alas, the dimentions are
NOT quite the same. Not off enough to worry me, just hafta persuade things a bit more is all.

the two forward holes are close enough to call the same:
22048 22049

but the 3rd is off by a good 1/8 inch off, maybe a tad more:
22050 22051

thats how much its off, not much:
they are just thru-bolted thru the frame rail so ovaling out a hole is not a big
deal, but there are other dimentional issues at hand here. most obtrusivley
is the idler arm itself, which is about 1/2 inch LONGER than the MKII maxes:
22052 22053
now things start to get tight when you look at the clearances between the
lower control arm, the tie-rod, shock, etc. in here. until i can get the LHD
idler arm & box removed and actually place things against the framerail its
hard to tell exactly how close everybodys gonna be:
22054 22055 22056

hopefully the idler arms balljoint will clear the bump-out in the tie-rod, if its too close
im either going to slot the steering box holes & move the idler arm & steering box
forward on the framerails like 1/4-3/8 inch, shudnt need more than that, prolly wont
take the whole 1/2inch, looks like enuff space.

OR, i was going to rotate BOTH the arm & the box a tad to change the angle of the
idler & boxes pivots like 10 degrees or so, thusley:
thing is it'll move the balljoint down which is closer to the lower control arm, so we'll
see once the box arrives ( if you jinxed me geezer so help me...) and i can get things
mocked up on the frame.

ive been lazy this week, ive nothing else to report/post, sadly.

vagrant_mugen
03-15-2019, 03:36 PM
i forgot to snap some pics of the rear brake lines and the odd capsule/canister i found in front
of the right rear wheel, tucked up under the bed corner, has brake lines and vac lines going
into it. i was following the 2 brake lines as i want to delete the load/pressure regulator unit
that is mounted over the rear axle.... hoping i can delete all that shit and just have a brake
line ( or even if need be) to the rear brakes. ill snap some in a bit & slap em up show u wat
im talkin bout.

vagrant_mugen
03-16-2019, 08:09 PM
So ive got this thing sittin around, it wouldnt be hard to fit this guy into Montgomery.
its a vw 2.0L 16v dohc (aba/16v) w/ t3/t04 custom header & intake manifold.
just needs a megasquirt kit and it'll do 300whp....

22068 22069 22070
22071 22072

heres the stuff i want to delete from underneath the truck, any reason why i should NOT???
22073 22075

geezer101
03-17-2019, 01:06 AM
I think the rear bias brake proportioning valve has to stay. IIRC at least one or 2 members have had problems with their brakes after messing with these things (one was due to it failing outright and not being able to source a replacement unit) but this may be load proportioned - more load on it via the spring = more actuation of the brakes. Someone will chime in on this...

vagrant_mugen
03-17-2019, 08:15 AM
i know what its there for, but i want all that extra shite gone...

even if i gotta install an aftermarket bias valve, im thinking about ditching the mechanical e-brake and putting in
a line lock or was even thinking about a stand-alone cylinder with its own resivor so its not reliant on the primary
brake system & can actually be an emergency brake.

vagrant_mugen
03-17-2019, 09:15 AM
I just don't know what this thing is. I'm leaning towards a vacuum tank to keep the booster & brakes harder if u stall out on a steep incline maybe, idk?????

Chargerx3
03-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Proportioning valve and the other looks like the rear ABS. I would at least keep the proportioning valve.

geezer101
03-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Yeah the entire e-brake/hand brake assembly isn't exactly inspiring or beautiful. I'm considering going hydraulic e-brake/drift brake with a lever locker on it just to simplify the set up, something easy to mount between the seats on the trans tunnel...

vagrant_mugen
03-17-2019, 08:56 PM
The thing is I'm not sure i wana go to buckets, i kinda like the bench. In which case I need to
utilize the OE handbrake under the dash/column.....
I can get creative with arms & levers, I'm even thinking about a clutch master cyl w its own line
going to a motorcycle caliper or some tiny rear caliper off a car, squeezing either one of the
(hopefully) 2 rear disks or I was even thinking about a tiny rotor on the driveshaft to the rear
diff. Me padre said monster trucks run one giant rotor on the driveshaft behind the tranny.
Thought that was interesting idea.

Chargerx3
03-18-2019, 09:00 AM
I got tired of the bench. Long rides and that saggy thing kills your back.

claych
03-18-2019, 12:21 PM
More pics from different angles ???
What are these (marked in red)

vagrant_mugen
03-18-2019, 01:00 PM
those are the bed mount towers coming up off the framerails, the black cylenders atop them
are the 4inch lifts. that shot is from above the driveshaft looking to the right over the right-side
framerail. ill take more pics soon.
heres some labels to kinda get oriented......

tortron
03-18-2019, 02:23 PM
Charcoal canister?

vagrant_mugen
03-18-2019, 08:19 PM
nope its not the charcoal can. thats up underneath the hood.
heres sommore pictures of the mystery can and where it is:
22085 22086 22087
22084 22088 22089

vagrant_mugen
03-18-2019, 08:32 PM
heres where im at with the wipers. the linkage is mounted, but theres a tiny difference between
the RHD & LHD linkage, i have to clock the end of the arm which bolts to the motor, see:
need to get clocked 90 deg from 12 to like 3 or so.

the wiper blade arms are also R/LHD specific, theres a wee little tweak that needs to go
the other direction:
22093 22094 22091
and heres what they look like now:
still need a little tweaking but theyre close. ive got it nextdoor tonight in the
welding/body shoppe. gonna tryin get some firewall stuff welded in. hopefully
weld in the wiper motor mount & fix the linkage. ill post up whatever i get done.

gonna have a cup of tea and a schmoke & get to it. more pics in the wee hours

vagrant_mugen
03-18-2019, 08:36 PM
IDK wat happened to the 1st mystery can post. mysterious.....
try again
22097 22098 22099
22096 22100
realized theres a vacuum line that comes out of the top of this thing and into the rear right
corner of the cab. im puzzled by this.:

geezer101
03-19-2019, 12:32 AM
I had an idea to make my own wiper linkages using heim joints and threaded rods - however I have no idea if it would work... These linkages are getting old like the rest of the truck and IDT anyone will do through the effort to either reman these or find an off the shelf /newer assembly that is compatible.

vagrant_mugen
03-19-2019, 12:37 AM
they sell new mk1 pajero wiper linkage its on ebay uk, but its from malaysia:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Mitsubishi-Pajero-Montero-Shogun-MK1-83-90-L049-L047-L149-Wiper-Linkage-NEW/282789089240?hash=item41d78b0fd8:g:wYQAAOSwbtNaRed K

vagrant_mugen
03-19-2019, 12:47 AM
i was going to order new linkage for this truck, but im outta cash after shelling out for that steering box.
perhaps itll get a new set somtime, but these will suffice for the time being.

i got the clutch & brake re-enforcement plates done and welded on the firewall. and pulled off the horrid clearance
lights atop the cab, bunch of screw & wire holes to fill. PITA. have pics in few more hours.
now onto the clutch support, wiper motor & linkage.

vagrant_mugen
03-19-2019, 05:24 AM
so i pulled the BS clearance lights that some dumb shite drilled 3 holes x5 lights so x15
holes in the paper thin roofskin. lots of body work up here:
22108 22109 22107
looks much much betterer.

Got the brake booster plate cut out and the mitsu logo too:
22110 22111
22113 22114 22112

And the plate re-enforcements and clutch support all welded in place, then a quick grind
and some primer until i can prep the whole cab and paint the floors, firewall, and jams.
22116 22117 22120
22119 22118 22121

i still need to make two bosses to bolt the tabs on top of the brake pedal assembly to, but i haft to wait
until I patch the old blower motor intake hole, because one of the tabs is under that hole at present...

i gotta go to an appointment at 9am, so im done for the night/morning. ill be back at it later on.
hopefully that steering box shows up in the next few days. im ready for it. :)

geezer101
03-19-2019, 01:39 PM
Grrr of all the places to blow holes in a panel, the roof turret is the worst place to do it. You are really getting into this truck and making lots of progress. It's a PITA setting up the pedals but at the same time you'll bee able to tweak them so they suit you perfectly. It's coming along nicely :thumbup:

Chargerx3
03-19-2019, 02:19 PM
That canister is for your rear ABS.

vagrant_mugen
03-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Grrr of all the places to blow holes in a panel, the roof turret is the worst place to do it.

i know right? idk if im gonna tryin weld them up, or just dimple eash hole in a little bit, & use this underwater
fairing filler for sailboats that my dad uses, stuffs even petroleum resistant. ive used it to replace shifter bushings
on my e30 and covered in grease theyre still tight 5 years later... not big on filling holes but i dont know if heat
is gonna be a good idea on that paper thin roofskin. i dont want to warp it any worse than it is already.

That canister is for your rear ABS.

ABS? then its outta there! what does that line going inside the cabin go to??? i havent and am not sure if i want to
pull that rear interiour panel off...

if i am indeed going to remove that rear load-sensing proportioning valve contraption, as i believe i am, then
i was curious if i should keep the x2 lines that go back to the rear axle, or just run a single back and tee it
to either side???

Chargerx3
03-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Trace them, but you might need to find a way to tie them into each other

vagrant_mugen
03-21-2019, 01:15 PM
ill take some pics later and see what things look like. tanks bru

heres a lil more on the wipers....
i still hafta flange the two panels and spot weld them back in, think i got the linkage correct as well.
22133 22135
you can see the harness in this shot, the two leads that go to the engine are almost centered on
the firewall, so it should flip over and swap sides pretty easy.

vagrant_mugen
03-21-2019, 03:39 PM
22136 22137 22138
idk wats up w these pics

vagrant_mugen
03-22-2019, 11:27 PM
been lookin at the rear brake lines a lil more, i appears that one line gets T-ed from the front caliper lines
and a 2nd line comes out of the rear (closest to booster) master cyl port, drops down next to the line
coming from the front brake line and both go back into the rear load prop valve.
makes me think that the valve might sned more pressure from the front circuit when there is a heavy enough
load in the bed. the ABS canister thing must be there to keep them from getting enough pressure to lock the
rear wheels im guessing... ill have pics in the early hours or tomarra some time.

still waiting for the steering box.........................................

vagrant_mugen
03-25-2019, 09:14 PM
wiper linkage done:
22176 22175
flanged the motor mount & blank:
22178 22177 22179
and spot-welded them on the panels:
22180 22181
drilled out the surrounding firewall:
22182 22183
i didnt get a shot of them in place and i havent welded them in place because
i have yet to cut the new blower intake, but i did remove the intake lip thing
you can see it in the last pic where its getting moved to. im just going to use
adheasive seam sealer and just glue it in place rather than of spot welding it,
the lip and the new rain gaurd that goes above it to keep the water from going
into the blower. once i get those installed ill weld in the panels & blend it all
in with filler then fair it in so it looks like nothin happend....

vagrant_mugen
03-25-2019, 10:03 PM
ah yes and the brake lines. heres the lines as they are minus the master & booster
i still havent gotten shots of them down the frame & to the rear end tho...

this is the cluster of splitters after splitters:
22185 22186 22184

vagrant_mugen
04-04-2019, 11:24 AM
im sure that because of the lack of updates your expecting a shit-ton of pics
and progress to have been made... unfortunately thats not the case.

so as far as the steering box i ordered 3 weeks ago, heres the message i got from the
doucher wet-hand i purchased from:
"I just received back and a fine of £200 because cwas leaking oil...I wrap again cand send it tomorrow better drain"

in short i said that this is crazy, i want pictures of a shipping receipt, tracking number, and proof of expidited
shipping. otherwise im turning this over to ebay for refund. totally amateur far as im concerned. i hope he did get fined
if he cant drain a steering box and put it in a couple plastic bags and newspaper before boxing it up. what the hell.
im kinda pissed about this.

But regardless of the bullshit, i ordered a Tundra front brake rotor for fittiment on monty here.
my findings were fruitful-ish:
So my first issue was that the toyota rotors bolt on in-between the hub and the wheel, where the mitsu rotor bolts to
the back side of the hub.
Now, 1st i wanted to see the offset of the toyota rotor hat as well as the rotor hub diameter to make sure itll
clear the mitsu hub and sit at roughly the same spot as the stock rotor.
22276 22277
and the tundra rotor sits at the same spot as the mitsu rotor, the tundra going on as it does on toyotas,
in between the hub and the wheel.
the only thing thats going to need modification is the mitsu hub itself, which is quite a bit bigger diameter
than the inside of the tundra rotor:
22278 22279
but there is more than enough meat on the hub to machine it off and still have plenty around the studs,
which might need to get swapped out for longer ones...

i havnt gotten a caliper to play with yet, but im hoping that the rotor being close to the stock position,
and the fact that the 4-piston tundra calipers dont need slider pins, hopefully itll be straightforward to make
some adapter brackets to mount them up. ill post up more when i get a caliper.

vagrant_mugen
04-04-2019, 11:26 AM
great.
idk what happened to the text color.
hope you like squinting

MrPaco
04-04-2019, 12:20 PM
great.
idk what happened to the text color.
hope you like squinting

I think that if you copy and paste from somewhere else, like an email, it keeps the black ink like the original. and then everything else you write after that stays black.
If you want, you can fix. Click the edit button on your post, highlight the black text and then click the button on the toolbar with the big letter A above, then choose white.

vagrant_mugen
04-05-2019, 09:51 AM
I'm not a donator yet I don't have the edit function available at my disposal...
Soon tho I'll be flush & plan on sending some funds in, I'd rather NOT have the little donator badge honestly

vagrant_mugen
04-20-2019, 03:56 PM
So I got another box en route from Britannia, from a proper breaker. Expedited DHL shipping supp to be 3-4 days
But I'm not holdin my breath after last 2 items from the Anglo isle. I'd be super amped if it got here by next weekend tho

Very little progress, I got a few things done but not much. I'll tryin take some pics that arnt too lame in a while.

geezer101
04-20-2019, 08:29 PM
Fingers crossed you finally get what you've been chasing :pray:

vagrant_mugen
04-22-2019, 03:28 PM
F'in A.
I didn't purchase it til Thurs afternoon, and Friday is a holiday obv, but the UK has Monday off as well....
No worries tho long as its here by next week I'll be satisfied.

Pickin away on things every evening as much as I can b4 I pass out sitting down staring at the truck in the early morning hours.
I'll post those pics from the other note shortly, padres blowing primer next door where the computer is next to.
(Not that they are really worth the time to post/view but, my ambition is not at a high rpm at present.

vagrant_mugen
04-22-2019, 05:02 PM
so like i said, very little got done, but i glued in the block off's for the left-most wiper hole,
as well as the brake booster:
22379 22380
i plasma'd out the blower motor port, but theres a bracket spot-welded up under the
dash holding it i place, i have to drill them out and itll all pop out.
next i have to glue the rain gaurd/lip thing down around the blower inlet.
22378 22377
this is the adheasive that im using on these things. marine grade should keep the water out.
heres the steering box mount points, minus the front upper bolt
you can see the bosses are actually each a piece of pipe that goes all the way through
the framerail and is welded on both sides. so i hafta cut out the rear-most boss and move it back
about 1/8 inch, which is a small amount for all this work i will admit. but being that they are welded
in lengths of pipe, i cant oval them out, and i dont want to use a smaller diameter bolt.
with the plasma cutter and the MIG it wont be but like a 45min job.
The only foreseeable hang-up will be the longer arms on the idler & steering box.
if i cant make them clear things as-is, im going to see if the arms off my OE max idler & box
can be swapped onto the newer mkIII L200 idler & box. if THAT fails, ill hafta move BOTH the
frontmost 2 box mount bosses instead of the 1 rear boss, or possibly even all 3 of them forward
to clear the longer arms (i have a sneaking suspicion that between the box and the arms that the
steering ratio mite, hopefully, be smaller lock to lock....) but i could also see mitsubishi just re-using
the same ratio box and just changing the arm lengths of the box & idler to decrease turns.

im pondering what to do about my radiator support now. im going to have to seriously modify
the existing headlight surround to go from the square headlites to the round ones.
the yellow marks are where the adjuster holes need to be, and im gonna hafta cut out the parts
in white outline to fit the montero bezels & corners.
so im leaning heavily towards scrapping the entire OEM radiator support & making everything
custom from new steel stock. i think itll save alot of time & look good too.
more to follow, somtime

vagrant_mugen
04-24-2019, 11:01 AM
well DHL sent me a txt message w my tracking info,
it got picked up in the UK yesterday, and they're stating a delivery date of TODAY by end of day....
unless they put it in an F22 raptor or somthin & hauled it over specially for me i dont see that happening.
Although id be thrilled if it were so.

geezer101
04-24-2019, 02:24 PM
...somehow I think they are being optimistic of their freight abilities

vagrant_mugen
04-24-2019, 02:37 PM
it says it was in East Hartford at 2pm, so it mite actually be here today.....
im very very surprised. i dont know how they skirted customs but for having left
Rotherham UK yesterday. im quite astounded.

vagrant_mugen
04-24-2019, 04:45 PM
its 730, i dont know when DHL ends its day, but im thinkin its gonna be more like tomarra....
regardless when it gets here, im probly gonna pull an all-nighter and at least get the idler arm & box
installed, and get the steering column & wheel swapped over. i think thats do-able for a 10hr evening.

then ill still have to flip the engine harness over so the fuseblock, column & gauge/dash plugs are on the right hand side,
and i shud prolly tryin move the clutch pedal, master and line over b4 or at the same time as the steering wheel, along
with the throttle pedal, but it mite be humorous NEEDING someone in the old drivers seat to work the clutch & throttle
while i steer and stop to move it out of the way for work in the morning....

soon as its here ill take a cpl pics and probly tryin get it on asap.

vagrant_mugen
04-25-2019, 11:39 AM
finally.

geezer101
04-25-2019, 02:24 PM
It looks pretty crusty, nothing a date with a wire wheel and maybe some new hardware won't rectify.

vagrant_mugen
04-25-2019, 10:52 PM
130AM update
taking a brake for dinner.
good news thus far, the box fits the 2 farthest holes front to back,
22398 22397
so i can get the box and idler arm bolted in with 2 bolts each for now, and focus on moving the
column over as well as the clutch and throttle pedals.
hes some crappy shots of the right and left sides:
22399 22400
so ive got like 6 hours to do the column, clutch & throttle.
and itd be nice to flip the harness over as well but im not gonna get overly-ambitious.
gotta go times a burnin

vagrant_mugen
04-26-2019, 10:09 PM
22407 22408 22409

geezer101
04-26-2019, 11:00 PM
Way more complex to set up compared to converting a RWD truck. Looking good though - nice work :thumbup:

vagrant_mugen
04-27-2019, 07:14 PM
Yeah, looking at it b4 hand I was like, "piece of cake, just move it all over..."
And given that I had all the correct RHD aus/JDM/uk parts to bolt right in it would be way easier.
Modding all the supports and pulling spotwelded parts off the left to move them over eats up the
hours for sure.

Wasted a bunch of time running around looking for a new fitting for the return line w nothing to show.....

vagrant_mugen
05-06-2019, 06:02 PM
Jumpin jahovas, sorry for the lack of attention here. Been going crazy trying to get my
garden planted, still behind schedule....
Been picking on Montgomery a bit, more head scratching and scouring the interwebz for pics of proper
RHD components so I can mod my bits to match close as I can. If I only spent an hour or 2 & got my 2017 tax
return sorted out & mailed in I'd have a nice chunk of capital to purchase these items with instead of making
them all myself, but alas, I'm a slow grasp of logic & reason sometimes.............

I'll have a big pic dump in an hour or 2, along with some interesting findings. (Mite only be singular, I have to review
the research I've done to see if its actually finding(s) plural.)

Be back shortly

geezer101
05-07-2019, 08:02 PM
That's how it goes. It's always the prep work that eats into your wrenching time. It's good to know I'm not the only one who is behind in lodging their tax crap :rolleyes:

vagrant_mugen
05-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Sorry for the hold-up, too much vodki these past cpl nites....
so i was sitting in the truck last week, and the column just still seemed too
far to the center of the cab. i noticed that the column tilt bracket appeared to be
RHD/LHD specific, so i had to cut that apart and sckootch it over to the right:
22471 22472
22474 22475 22476
the after-shot is in the next wave of pics, my bad.....
22477 22478 22479

More shortly, for realsies

geezer101
05-08-2019, 03:13 PM
There is a lot going on to do this swap. So many little things you wouldn't think were necessary. Got to excuse my ignorance but does the Gen 2 have a safety switch in the clutch pedal? This is something that bugs me with the Gen 1 and all it would need is the clutch pedal travel stop bolt and nut to be ground off at the welds and a bigger nut that will take another brake switch tacked in. I'd have to take the entire dash apart to get to it, but it's a one shot deal. I'm feeling a bit inspired by your efforts :thumbup:

vagrant_mugen
05-08-2019, 04:15 PM
22483 22484
22485 22486
22487 22488 22489
22490 22491 22492
22493 22494 22495
22496 22497 22498
22499 22500 22501

vagrant_mugen
05-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Got to excuse my ignorance but does the Gen 2 have a safety switch in the clutch pedal?
yea it does, its a little 1-wire button. ill snap a pick for you...

22505 22506
22507 22508
i need to mount this lil fuse block somwhere, mite go on the firewall.
i have to run a cable from the (+) positive terminal of the battery to the lug there:
22509 22510
And i have to add about a foot or so of length to the MAF wires.
But the harness flip over seems like itll work out alrite.
need to add some wires here & there but way better than leaving the
harness LHD.

vagrant_mugen
05-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Lines didnt come out great, but i want to put in a cooler eventually,
so ill probly run a -AN hardline adapter on the return fitting and then i can
plumb in a nice cooler...
22513 22514
now the left hand side is gonna be tight with the ecu, LHD blower motor assmbly,
and LHD heater box. im going to have to make some very slick, low-profile ducting
to hook up the blower outlet which is up against the A-pillar/firewall corner,
and the heater box inlet which is on the right hand (now drivers side)
22515 22516 22517
these others are of the harness on the Right side, its gonna fit nicely.
ive only got to lengthen the interiour light wires, maybe a couple others...
22519 22520 22521
22522 22523 22524
still need to mod the brake pedal, clutch pedal needs tweeking, and im going to tryin
replikate a RHD throttle pedal. hafta make 1 more brake line to connect the rears up, ive yet
to delete the rear ABS can or prop valve...
more pics soon.

vagrant_mugen
05-08-2019, 09:58 PM
i cant find that damned clutch switch, it looks just like the door light switches ive removed on all my
kraut cars, a little black plastic shaft w a spring & contact to a male spade.
its only 1 wire, im assuming it grounds out a relay or powers it, to allow the starter relay to
connect or whatevermitehaveyou.....

ill keep lookin for it, but idk where i put it. ill lyk soon as i find her tho bru

vagrant_mugen
05-09-2019, 03:53 PM
I almost forgot to post my findings regarding running a mkIII k74 L200 steering box & idler arm on
a mkII L200/mighty max w all remaining steering & drive line OE mk2 parts:
The mk3 pittman & idler arms are about an inch longer than the mk2 units, and I had hoped to see
some difference in the steering or lock to lock turn count....
....however, with the longer Pittman & idler arms my lock to lock turn count went from
about 3 & 1/2 down to just 2 turns L2L.
I think ralley cars & race cars have like 2 & 1/2 turn racks, so finding
that my truck is tighter than that was cool, at first. Now I'm thinking that wen I go to turn on the heater or radio
a small movement of the steering wheel is gonna send me into the woods.....
I'm going to wait & see how bad it is driving, but worst case hopefully I can retrofit the mk2 arms onto the new box.
We shall see. Given how crappy the turning radius is it might not be as bad as I worry......

But if anybody wants to dramatically shorten their steering wheel turn count, 1998-2006ish L200 steering box & idler
arms on a mk2 mighty max/L200 drop link/tie rods gives you 2 turns from lock to lock.

Rcornsilk
05-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Woow, vagrant_mugen! That's gonna be a crazy ride driving on the other side! Cant wait to see the finished product!

geezer101
05-09-2019, 11:35 PM
If the steering needs to be tamed, maybe a steering damper kit will help smooth it out a bit. I've been trying to source something that will work for a 2WD Gen 1. So, in theory I could use MK III idler and pitman on my Gen 1 to sharpen steering response?

vagrant_mugen
05-10-2019, 08:36 AM
I don't know how close the mk1 stuff is to the mk3, but if the splined shaft the column attaches to is the same size
on the mk1s as on the mk2 boxes, and the pittman & idler arm ends are the same taper on the drop link, it shud work.

But the pattern on the framerails will hafta be modded so all 3 bolts line up for the box & idler.....

vagrant_mugen
05-10-2019, 10:57 AM
I don't know how close the mk1 stuff is to the mk3, but if the splined shaft the column attaches to is the same size
on the mk1s as on the mk2 boxes, and the pittman & idler arm ends are the same taper on the drop link, it shud work.

But the pattern on the framerails will hafta be modded so all 3 bolts line up for the box & idler.....

vagrant_mugen
05-10-2019, 11:05 AM
Damn it double post.....

I was mostly asleep when I read that, once I measure the shaft on the steering box where the pitman arm
attaches, I'll know if the mk3 arm will do the mk2 box.
Now as far as the idler arm, as everybody makes their own replacement idler arms, the pivot shaft seems
to vary in diameter at least between the mk2 OEM idler off my truck & the aftermarket mk3 RHD idler I bought
from the UK thru mitsybitz on eBay.
So w the idler arm, ur prolly gonna hafta fit the entire mk3 unit onto your mk1 frame rail,
Unless you can find a mk3 idler arm with the same diameter shaft as your mk1....

vagrant_mugen
05-18-2019, 09:56 AM
So, still no major hurdles cleared, but im pickin away...

so i been tryin to figure out a replacement intake pipe, the OE rubber unit is deteriorated as
every time you touch it ur hands are black. so im gonna replace it w a steel unit.
i was going to put the airbox in the stock position, but im really NOT looking forward to
having to lengthen the MAF connector wires so im considering moving it to the left side of the bay
now that the brake booster is on the other side now. then i was thinking about if i was ever to
install a snorkel i DONT want it to be on my new drivers side. with this 180* intake it can go right
out the fender and up the left side A-pillar.
22565 22566
I finished up the brake lines, at least in the engine bay. its a cluster across the firewall, ive yet
to lay them out and mount them all pretty like....
22567 22568 22569
And i hafta hammer out these little tabs that are bent over on the clutch line mount tab.
im not 100% its for this application, thinkin the clutch cable for the RWD trucks.
but itll suffice once im thru w it.
And heres the seats im thinking about running. theyre kinda recaro knock-offs,
theyre nice, little heavy, and theyre are stupid stiff. i need to lend them to a 250lb guy to
drive around on for a cpl months to break them in....
22572 22564

geezer101
05-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Ooooh, that air cleaner assembly is close to everything. You've really given yourself a challenge on the swap. We got ONE model of truck that was 2WD V6 - now that would be an interesting performance build (twin turbo V6 swap anyone?) Awesome work :thumbup:

vagrant_mugen
05-19-2019, 10:34 AM
i keep forgetting to measure the steering box shaft for you mate, im swamped today but shoot me a PM
later on or tomarra to remind me, ill compare to the k74 box see if the arms are swappable for your mk1 .....

its not as tight as it looks, i kinda wedged the upper in there for the picture, its closer to the fender
than itll be. esp w the 4inch body lift, it adds alot of spare atop the engine. my father hates it, im rather
impartial to the look, but the added room to wrench is wunderbar.
the air filter housing got damaged when i tied to butt-hump the box truck, im going to run a cone filter
temporarily until i can fab or find a nice little 10inch cube airbox i can mount there and plumb a snorkel
into eventually... although i doubt ill ever have to do any river fording that would be that deep.

vagrant_mugen
05-19-2019, 11:31 AM
id nearly forgotten about the throttle cable....
i ordered a cable from a 1990 mitsu galant, it measures 65 inches rather than the 34 inches of the
stock 1991 mighty max cable (curiously the rockauto site listed the replacement aftermarket max cable
at 41 inches, which i almost purchased but didnt want to risk it being too short. and the galant cable was
on clearance for $10, $20 total shipped, bloody teevs...)
22578 22580
obviously its far longer at 65inches
difference in the flanges, as i have to drill the holes to mount it anyway.
and theres where its going, the black rubber gasket stuck to the firewall is where its gonna hafta go
theres very little flat surface in the area, its quite multi-faceted

vagrant_mugen
05-19-2019, 09:30 PM
throttle cable installed
22598 22600 22597
this is more where the MAF is gonna go, minus the OEM airbox:
now i hafta fab the throttle pedal arm....
...among many other things.

vagrant_mugen
05-22-2019, 04:10 PM
almost done. its too long, ive gotta cut the arm & shortn it a tad, but it works.
i had to use a torch and heat up the LHD bends, straightened it out, and bent it where
i needed it to go. i had to twist the pedal end itself around 180 deg, but i think its gonna work out alright.
at first i was trying to replikate the OEM rhd arm exactly, but i ended up just doing what i needed to.
i forgot to take a pic of the LHD arm before i started....
22619 22620 22621
22622 22623 22618

vagrant_mugen
05-23-2019, 01:27 AM
fini
but i hadda scootch the clutch & brake over to the right a tad, now ive got room
for a dead-pedal on the left next to the tunnel.
im starting to work on the dash a bit, at least making the cardboard templates.

drivability-wise all i need to do now is finish tweaking the shifters to the right & weld
on the short throw extension, then fab a little riser box to pick up the pivot point the same
as the extension im welding into the sifter to change the length between the pivot point and the
end of the sifter lever that moves the shift forks, etc.... ill post pictures wen i begin the surgery.
the process shouldnt be too difficult for anybody with a decent MIG welder to replikate on their trucks.

geezer101
05-23-2019, 05:39 AM
The pedal layout looks better. A footrest for lefty would be a nice touch (you get used to them being there in more modern designed cars) You using the stock pedal covers or something a little more flashy?

vagrant_mugen
05-25-2019, 05:20 PM
Stock covers, I only have the gas & brake tho, imma hafta make a trip to the junkyard for one, and I wanna
find sommore grab handles to install on the A-pillars like the Toyotas have.

Started making a cardboard dash to mock up a template to bend up on a friends 8ft brake.
The dash is like 4ft 5 inches so it won't quite fit in our 4 foot brake. I'll post a pic shortly

vagrant_mugen
06-02-2019, 05:34 PM
short shifter started, should be finished by later tonite. im going for a ride before it gets cool.
22658 22659 22660
22661 22662 22657
so once this tower is welded together, i just have to extend the shifter end
the same length and the throw should be stupid short. i decided to go with
1.5inches instead of 2in, but it should be GREATLY reduced in throw. then im
extending the upper portion 4 inches or so to make up for the body lift, i like
my shifters close to the steering wheel.

geezer101
06-03-2019, 12:03 AM
You've really done an awesome job of planning this one out. I think the 2" extension would've been overkill. A short throw in a 4x4 - crazy :grin:

...and if you get it glued together by tonight, good luck with the maiden voyage :thumbup:

vagrant_mugen
06-03-2019, 10:46 AM
You've really done an awesome job of planning this one out. I think the 2" extension would've been overkill. A short throw in a 4x4 - crazy :grin:
...and if you get it glued together by tonight, good luck with the maiden voyage :thumbup:
short throws for everything. stock shifters are for girls & limp wristed boys....
this thing is far from drivable, the shifter came out very nice, but i have some engine bay wiring to sort out
before i can start it again, the brakes need to be bled, AFTER i delete the rear ABS can & load prop-valve.
and theres no radiator or heatercore, or coolant for that matter, so drives would be super short.
that wont stop me from driving round he parking lot soon, really just need to re-connect the wires im
re-routeing & plumb the MAF back in. brakes are for mo's anyhow.
pick dump.....

vagrant_mugen
06-03-2019, 11:05 AM
So heres what happened:
pics are all jumbled & missmashed, i dont have time to sort them out for yall my bad.
it was an uber bitch getting the upper off the shifter, had to cut open the side and pry it
open. i deleted the rubber insert, and added a thick heavy piece of 5/8" round stock to add
some heft to the upper, welded the upper portion to it, and an m10 bolt to the bottom to
thread into the shifter collar i welded on the lower shifter unit.
22676 22677 22678
22679 22680 22681
22682 22683 22684
22685 22686 22687
22688 22689 22690
little trick i use to tack-weld small parts together you cant clamp. wrap masking tape
tite over the seam, then cut a strip out off the seam and tack weld it, flip over and repeat.
then pull the tape, wash off the adheasive and finish welding. G'nice.
finish product puts it right next to the steering wheel, throw is about 3-3.5 inches from 3rd to 4th.
had a helper to finish up the test install...
22691 22692 22693
22694 22695

geezer101
06-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Bit harsh with the stock shifter comment :lmao:Hmm, the gear shift in my Hung Dog wagon does feel a bit like I'm swinging a boat oar though. It sounded like you were a lot closer to taking it out on the road (sans interior). Your pooch wants this thing going so it can do an evaluation. Looks solid :thumbup:

vagrant_mugen
06-03-2019, 08:11 PM
For sure he does, he loves riding around, but only if its moving......
It runs and drives, but I've been slacking so the brakes arnt 100% done, that won't stop
me from going for a short ride.
Only thing is I just pulled all the pedals & mounts out to get sandblasted & painted, as Mitsubishi
sent most of it out bare steel, so long as it was hidden up under the dashboard. Sshudve been
done a while back but now its all modified & ready for finishing.
It'll give me time to sort out the wires & radiator.
I still have the entire front end to swap on too, inner fender is back to straight, but the Monty nose
has yet to be fitted.
Driveable in 2~weeks
Done done in like 2+/- months. I hope.
I got some strict deadlines for the years end, and this rigg is under my ass
for at least 3000miles overland, an almost 2500 lover sea to where I'm headed
for winter...

vagrant_mugen
06-11-2019, 03:04 PM
shiny black parts....
22751 22752
22753 22754
got the intake piping sorted, just have to cut out the flange to bolt the cone filter to the MAF:
22750 22749
....and i got my headgaskets, timing belt & water pump in, gotta tear the heads off
an get it all sealed back up to start driving it around while im building the 4G64T.

vagrant_mugen
06-11-2019, 03:56 PM
... and no that was NOT a typo, i am going to build a 4G turbo...
im assembling a turbo VR6 longblock for my friends vw mkI R32 gti to help fund montgomery here,
he had a barely-used precision t3/t04 i snagged from him, im gonna sell my vw 16v/aba turbo motor to
fund a nice 4G64T build. ill make the turbo header and short runner IM myself, think im gonna run it on
megasquirt so i can have different tunes for ethanol, hi boost/low boost & N/A if the turbo should fail in
some crappy spot away from civiliation, ect....

ive been looking at the montero/pajero trannys and i think the 4D diesel gearboxes out of the mkII and newer
riggs have the removable bellhousings like my V5MT1, im just not sure about weather the longitudinal 4D diesels
are wideblock or narrow, im assuming they are wideblock pattern tho. thats the only thing i have to sort out,
is the bellhousing as im aiming to keep the V6 V5MT1 for the time being until i get the funds for a diesel gearbox
perhaps, i gotta read sommore about the toughest mitsu 4x4 gearbox i can find to hold 3-400hp.

Im supposed to get the 2.4L 4g engine outta mcant99's max once he swaps in his fancy yota ITB beams 6sp swap,
so i need to find a DSM/Mitsu 1g DOHC cyl head to slap on it, or im gonna tryin find a mitsu/kia 4g64 to boost.
havnt had much luck sourcing either at present.

Anybody got a complete 1g 4G63 cyl head for sale???

vagrant_mugen
06-18-2019, 12:28 AM
finished up the intake
went to fire it up again to go next door the other night & get sommore metal work done,
i turned the key to crank it over, and in the acc & on position, there was this terrible
door-buzzer noise (but louder) coming from the ECU area... it was the ECM relay right
next to the ECU, thing is friggin screaming. i know it aint supposed to make noise besides some
clicking perhaps, so i think its cooked...

so i ended up tearing into the headgaskets & timing belt/seals/water pump instead.
22840 22841
got the heads off & washed up along with the block,didnt take before pics
really wasnt very dirty atall inside the chambers or rocker covers, didnt take long to wipe them off.
22839 22842 22843

vagrant_mugen
06-18-2019, 01:16 AM
found some un-pleasantries. 4 or so stripped out exhaust stud holes will require some
heli-coiling, and the rear most stud on the right head was sheared off like 3/16" into the hole
22844 22845 22846
bollocks. this will take some persuasion....

heads all scraped and washed up
22847 22848
rocker covers are pretty damn good looking for 30 years old:
and i got the radiator in. slowly compiling parts here...
22849 22850
and yeah its a lil tweaked from shipping but nothing detrimental, itll suffice. im not tryin to F around
with returning it, as it was the 2nd to last one they had. salrite.

MrPaco
06-18-2019, 05:57 AM
I don't remember what shape the body in your truck is in, but in case you are looking for some metal, here's a few pieces you can get for cheap near where you are. The add doesn't say it but I'm pretty sure these are for a 2nd gen, I remember when the guy was selling the whole truck.
https://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/d/coventry-mitsubishi-mighty-max-parts/6914604787.html

vagrant_mugen
06-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Nice find. If I wasn't strapped for funds I'd go grab that stuff, super cheap.
I'll check this weekend see if its still round.....

I gotta tryin get these broken studs pulled, didn't notice but both L & R heads have the same rear most stud
broken off almost exactly the same. So I've got x2 bitch ass studs to pull. So fun. Wish they left a lil more
meat to work with instead of sub-surface shite.

vagrant_mugen
06-29-2019, 10:00 PM
As much as I didnt want to give a white about this engine, my nagging compulsiveness
along w my father lead to most everything I unbolted to get sandblasted & painted, except for
the rocker covers which are in very good shape & I can't bring myself to mess up how well they
look for nearly 30 years old. ( I only washed the lower intake Mani, was NOT feeling pulling injectors
out & whatnot.... So no blast/paint for that)

vagrant_mugen
06-30-2019, 09:03 PM
New headgaskets, bolts, seals, timing belt, tensioner, wasserpumpe.
bout 85% of the parts got blasted/painted.... thinkin about stayin up for a while
an tryin get it mostly back together. i need to buy sommore small stuff, exhaust nuts,
rocker cover gaskets, that damn ECM relay, im sure few more tings.
22887 22888 22889

vagrant_mugen
07-03-2019, 02:58 PM
getting closer. still havent gotten the rest of the parts i need to button up the engine,
but soon ill have it back running so i can get it over to the body shop to get back on the
front end.
22900 22901

geezer101
07-03-2019, 08:48 PM
The clean up of the engine was worth it. It's one of those things you regret not taking a shot at when you had the opportunity. Nothing beats a fresh looking motor :thumbup:

vagrant_mugen
07-04-2019, 11:51 AM
indeed sir. well put. i am glad i did it now.
tanks bru, always good to see some support. at times the only reason i think i post is to keep
me ambitious & on track. and theres nothing wrong with dah atall....

geezer101
07-04-2019, 02:40 PM
...need sum mad ITB's and trumpet stacks on it now :grin: It's good to get some feedback on what you're doing and yeah, it does keep you motor-vated. And sometimes a pic or 2 can expose a problem to fresh eyes you've missed (like xboxrox and his bad throttle cable I noticed). Once you've got the front end sorted out and the new radiator glued in, you should be rockin' it :thumbup:

vagrant_mugen
07-04-2019, 09:03 PM
im trying to keep the pics flowing at least as much a the text, as WTF is a thread w out pictures,
NOT SHITE.

tis never soon enough as you know, i gotta get my arsechvieszer in gear & get this thing driving.
i still hafta build a dual-sport hybrid outta my '81 kz550 and pack up to move westerly this
fall/winter... ive been drinking & sleeping too much. idleing me life away as usual.
ive to light a fire under me arse with somthing soon or imma be scrambling come cold...

vagrant_mugen
07-17-2019, 10:27 AM
got the coolant inlet sorted out. the new rad i got has the lower outlet on the right side instead of
on the left underneath the inlet. so i had to make a new inlet flange for the lower hose.
22949 22950 22951
22952 22953 22948
22954 22955
still got pleanty of room for an electric fan & shroud.
itd be nice to sort out a temp switch to hook the fan up to, anybody got any
OE thread-in switches i mite be able to utilize???

vagrant_mugen
08-26-2019, 10:34 AM
Well.
its been a crazy month to say the least. eviction proceedings have begun
so im in scramble mode to get this thing driving again asap
padre is moving to fckin maine, last week it was 2 months, now its 2 weeks.....
so im under serious pressure to finish it, unfortunately NOT to the specs i want and had planned for november

i got it fired up this weekend, sides the idler pulleys it sounds really good. so happy it started back up w/out any
bullshit after tearing it down like that. new fuel/ecm relay fixed the fuel problem, did the trick, F'n awesome.

so next is get it to the body shoppe for the new nose, and at least a coat of primer to freshin shit up a bit.
i got a pair of gay jeep rubicon sealed beam headlight assemblies to fit, as they have the adjuster bucket
and everything as a bolt on unit. once i get some funds i can get some baller H4 headlights to drop in.
ill have some pics up soon, bout to wrap this bitch up a bit, least driving/stopping and registered.
its starting to get chilly already tho, i gotta sort out the heating/vents/defrost pretty soon here too, might
be forced to do that elsewhere though.

more very soon.

geezer101
08-26-2019, 02:31 PM
That's tough when you're being told to get everything wrapped up in a short time. At least your truck starts and runs without and grief now the fuel relay is doing it's thing. Good luck with the final touches. Even if you don't get it to the point where you wanted it, you won't need a tow to move it to your new accommodation. :thumbup:

vagrant_mugen
08-29-2019, 10:04 AM
HELP!
i need a good used fan idler assemblie!!!
anybody got a 6g72 fan idler assembly they wana sell???
This guy. i need the pulley too.
LMK, thanks

vagrant_mugen
09-24-2019, 07:32 PM
down to the wire here, gota be out by oct 1st, im goin crazy tryin to finish this....
23440 23441 23442
23443 23444 23445
23446 23447 23448
got the old rad support cut off, made a new one, mounted the jeep wrangler headlight
assemblies where they need to be. i still have to make mounts for the grille and headlight bezels
above and below them. the lower piece is also the trim/body panel in between the grille and bumper
the overall width of the grille and bezels is wider than the maxes hood and fenders, so imma hafta
stretch the fenders out a tad and scab them in around the montero corner lights. wont be super
beautiful but its gonna be a 20ft truck, not a 5ft looker

Chargerx3
09-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Do like that Montero grill.

geezer101
09-24-2019, 09:08 PM
It looks like a legit Montero truck :shock:

vagrant_mugen
09-24-2019, 10:41 PM
be even more legit tomarra night when theres hardware holding it together
instead of masking tape....

i found enough 1/8inch sheet metal to slap together a bumper too if ive got the time...
i should really fix the massive hole in the frame before that tho.
gonna be a cunt of a next 5 days, bollocks

vagrant_mugen
09-24-2019, 11:32 PM
23456 23457
lower valance template.

vagrant_mugen
09-28-2019, 09:51 AM
23481 23482 23483
23485 23486 23487
23488 23489 23490
tryin to finish up the front end today, just have to make the corner
pieces to tie into the fenders, and the grille and bezel mounts
got my upper dash bent up this morning, need to cut the radius for the windshield

geezer101
09-28-2019, 12:24 PM
Oh man, that's a lot to take on in a tight time frame. And you're managing to do a not crap job of it in the process. It looks like the South American model trucks (Savannas IIRC?)

vagrant_mugen
09-28-2019, 07:30 PM
23492 23493

vagrant_mugen
09-28-2019, 09:47 PM
23497 23498 23499

vagrant_mugen
10-02-2019, 01:42 PM
23514 23515
almost ready to squirt

vagrant_mugen
10-03-2019, 04:25 PM

MrPaco
10-03-2019, 07:49 PM
:clapyellow::clapyellow::clapyellow::clapyellow::c lapyellow:
Looks great, the bumper will complete the picture nicely. Well done!

Chargerx3
10-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Looks great. Lose the diamonds in the grill.

geezer101
10-03-2019, 11:58 PM
Damn, the guy can move fast! Looks good though. I'd keep the diamonds as it looks legit.

MrPaco
10-04-2019, 05:23 AM

geezer101
10-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Hmmm, would a Monty hood swap onto Gen 2 trucks? :think:

vagrant_mugen
10-05-2019, 02:07 PM
I tried to find out that b4 I did all this. People said the monty fenders and hood are different dimensions
Then the pickups, idk about mounting points

vagrant_mugen
10-18-2019, 03:58 PM
23580 23581
23582 23579
didnt have time to paint the cap.
got till the end of oct now to vacate, wish id have known before...

gotta get the carpet and interiour back sorted. need to slap together duct work
for the blower to heater, didnt get to finish the lower dash or new seats.
oh well, itll suffice for the winter. looks like im stuck for another cold spell here
in the northeast

vagrant_mugen
10-18-2019, 06:17 PM

gotta get those slots cut under the grille....
plasma konked out for a day just before paint, totally F'ed me.
i made that lower trim way too tall. and that center seam bothers me
in certain light, namely those last pics. too little time.
shoulda just just the monty nose on not taken on the RHD swap
always bite off moren i can chew

geezer101
10-18-2019, 06:59 PM
You took on a hell of a lot but it's worth it. As for the front clip being 'too tall' you can add a light bar or something to fill the void once the bumper is back on. That way it'll break it up visually.

vagrant_mugen
10-19-2019, 02:43 PM
HELP!
i got no gauges! its been so long since i drove this thing, i know the oil pressure
never registered, but i swore i at least had fuel level and coolant temp.....
ive checked to make sure all the grounds are secure, and everything appears to be
plugged in, checked all the fuses. ive got lights in the gauge cluster, but the gauges
themselves are not reponding.....

any thoughts????

geezer101
10-19-2019, 08:30 PM
Only thing I can recommend is pull the cluster out and check all of the harness connectors to the back of the cluster and check the traces on the circuit board. Seems weird that you have backlights to the cluster (which means power and grounds) but everything else is dead. I had a problem with a cluster ages ago where one side of the cluster straight up didn't work - turned out to be crap soldered joints (which may explain the non functioning oil pressure). 5 mins with a soldering iron - fixed (wasn't a MM or a Ram/D50 but that is irrelevant)

vagrant_mugen
10-21-2019, 05:08 PM
found the culprit, toasted wire on the cluster
the oil pressure and volt gauge and tach came up, but the water temp wont budge
fuel gauge finally came up after a minute or 2, but today it wont move atall....

i think im gonna get a new water temp gauge see if that helps, i really dont care about the
rest but water temp is kinda good to have

vagrant_mugen
10-21-2019, 05:09 PM
new water temp sensnor... rather

B-Line
10-21-2019, 05:23 PM
Very impressive build.

MrPaco
10-22-2019, 07:33 PM
gotta get those slots cut under the grille....
plasma konked out for a day just before paint, totally F'ed me.
i made that lower trim way too tall. and that center seam bothers me
in certain light, namely those last pics. too little time.
shoulda just just the monty nose on not taken on the RHD swap
always bite off moren i can chew

Looks like the bumper on the montero overlaps the lower lip on the front, where your bumper butts up against the lower lip from the bottom, making the lower lip look bigger.

geezer101
10-23-2019, 05:07 AM
Any chance you can get another dash cluster? It looks like a few of the traces on the back of your current one are 'iffy'. This is one of the things that bugs me about the printed film type boards - they are a biatch to fix and IMO not the most durable design.

claych
10-23-2019, 02:52 PM
edit....

vagrant_mugen
10-28-2019, 09:21 AM
Sick. I wana use a montero gauge cluster eventually...

So after i fixed that short, everybody works now, save
the fuel and water temp gauges, which are only there 75% of the time.
But get this, it seems to be my ignition key switch thats the culprit, if i move the key a little contact is made and the fuel/water come up...
Weird.

As for the lower valiance, i made it like 2inches taller than the monteros have, not that i had any actual dimentions...

Thank you all for the complements, it was a rush job and not up to my standards, but itll do for now

vagrant_mugen
10-28-2019, 09:22 AM
I need some schooling on the front suspension next, front wheel bearings are shuckin a bit, and the camber is not good, upper control arms need to be shorter it seems, ill get some pics up soon

vagrant_mugen
06-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Fuckin hell its been a while.....
Anybody down under have a lead on a shifter assembly? And a heater box, ebay Australia is less then accommodating.....

geezer101
06-11-2021, 04:15 PM
Ebay is beginning to suck all over. I'm reluctant to order any major new parts from the US due to the Kentucky Bermuda Triangle. Seems a lot of stuff goes in, but no guarantee it'll come out...

xboxrox
06-11-2021, 07:42 PM
My 2 cents ~ I recently got burned by an outfit called BAP to the tune of $450.00 + paint for a power steering gearbox that did not fit my truck when they said it would..! Too late for a return as well, out the entire $450.00..!!!

More 2 cents ~ On ebay, I ordered one hub cap BUT am in the process of ordering two 4X4 front hub caps (the ones with the big hole) the seller advertised two hub caps for sale... One chrome the other painted, I need two plain steel painted hub caps so I paid for buying the one painted... The seller emailed asking if I wanted to buy the other cap as I asked if he had two painted, nope just the chrome (I think?) I emailed that paint does not stick to chrome as the reason for not wanting his chrome cap... Well, he emailed again today with a photo of two silver color painted hub caps, thats what I need/want... I replied yes I will buy both BUT only as long as the 2nd hub cap is not paint over chrome...

The seller has a 100% score, we shall see..? After the fiasco with BAP I believe any ripoff is possible now-a-days..!!! :spam:

Taking A Chance ~ ebay sellers have so far been straight with me & provided the parts I was after (the small stuff for the Mikuni carburetor)...
George

xboxrox
06-12-2021, 10:24 PM
ebay Hub Cab purchase update ~ seller says his two hub caps are painted steel not chrome ~ previously paid for one, now waiting for updated shipping cost to Hawaii ~ hoping to get two decent front 4X4 hub caps
:thumbup:

UPDATE ~ the two hub caps are due to arrive between 17 & 30 June :camptrailer:

vagrant_mugen
06-17-2021, 05:29 AM
Very nice. Hope that pans out bru.
Geezers gonna tryin hook me up w some schtuff so i can get her back on the road again.
Im thankful for this small forum, yall been great

xboxrox
06-17-2021, 12:40 PM
Very nice. Hope that pans out bru.
Geezers gonna tryin hook me up w some schtuff so i can get her back on the road again.
Im thankful for this small forum, yall been great

We appreciate you being here too vagrant ~ Connectisuck..? Ha Ha :)

xboxrox
06-19-2021, 07:25 PM
Hello Ya'll
ebay seller stealthboat came through; received the two hub caps from Oregon today :thumbup:
http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=26637&stc=1http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=26638&stc=1