PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharging a 2.6L???

Salteen
01-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Ok so I have a 1987 Dodge Power Ram 50 with a 2.6L. I am putting the motor out a 1982 in it, its a 2.6L out a 4x4 truck. I have put a Weber 38/38 400cfm 2 barrel on it and an exhaust manifold that deletes the EGR system.

My question is, what would it take to put a turbo on it? I want to potentially modify it and I want to see what i can and cant to. I have a set of high torque cams going into it and i figured a turbo might help the top end. I figured an inter cooler wouldn't hurt either.

I am not looking to do this right now, I am looking to do this later on. I am 15 years old and I don't look to make 1000 HP and put it in a little truck and wind up in a ditch or wrapped around a tree. I don't feel like trying to find the turbo version of this engine because i have a 50-60k mile motor right now and i feel like i should make the most of it. And the fact its probably pretty rare to find that.

Any advice would help. Thanks! :D

geezer101
01-09-2020, 12:45 PM
Easy - use the turbo parts from a Conquest/Starquest 2.6. Make it easier and use a whole engine for the transplant and strip the engine management + harness from the donor car so you won't have to mess with an aftermarket ECU.

Salteen
01-09-2020, 02:18 PM
I dont really want an ecu period. i want it straightforward and simple. i dont want to fool around with the wiring stuff. make it like the mid 70's.

i was thinking of a small Garrett turbo of some sort, one that could push, say, 8 lbs boost? what power/boost can a G54B take before something breaks? how should i do the piping? what kind of intercooler do i need (or does the conquest/starquest have one?) is a twin carb 38/38 synchronous setup a good idea for a turbo setup?

geezer101
01-09-2020, 06:19 PM
You can actually do this but you'll need to think outside of the box. Here in Australia we has one generation of Mitsubishi Sigma (RWD 4 door sedan) that came with a draw through factory turbo. It is boost indexed which means you can get it to boost hard. It used a CD175 Stromberg carb that easily kept up with fuel demand. MY buddy has one - I volunteered to rebuild and modify his and after some tweaking, it ran 20 psi of boost. Only drawback is it can't be intercooled. Here's a link to my friends' factory GH Sigma turbo from one of my posts -

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/5074-81-2-6-sport-turbo-possible?p=44007&viewfull=1#post44007

It requires a distributor built for turbocharging and luckily the Conquest would be the place to get a donor unit.

Salteen
01-09-2020, 06:21 PM
Ok, thankyou very much!