PDA

View Full Version : New owner 1989 Ram-50

charger_john
02-17-2020, 11:15 AM
I picked up my new work truck last week, it's a 1989 ram 50 2WD in white.
Long bed, 2.6L, manual steering & trans, 172,000 mi and just about no "options," very very basic rig.
It's straight and rust free, and runs great, and of course needs a lot regular TLC/deferred maintenance done.

My plans include adding a contractor rack and possibly a winch on the front. After I get the basic truck fixed up well.

This forum has already been a great source - thanks all!

Oh by the way, $2300.
I thought the price compared well to other offerings in this area and it's in a lot better condition than most.

Cheers
charger_john

charger_john
02-17-2020, 11:22 AM
It had this old aluminum canopy on it when it got it, but that came off on day 1:

It'll hold my motor cycle, super easy to load....

This is what I plan to put on it:

xboxrox
02-18-2020, 01:20 AM
Looks like you did good, nice looking truck... Gosh, charger_john do you really tie down the bike with the straps hooked on the wheel wells..? Might that cause possible body dents outies..? I would love to be younger & have a motorcycle to put in my truck too... Oh, would you mind sharing how you load & unload the bike into the truck..? Thanks-A-Lot

Looking Awrite :thumbup:

charger_john
03-10-2020, 07:39 PM
Hi xboxrox, somehow I didn't notice your post until now. I used rags to protect my truck from those tie-downs. If I was going to do this a lot I would install tie-down eye bolts on top of the wheel wells inside the truck bed but this was just a 1 time deal.

Back in the day, the good ole boys would take off the tailgate and use it for a motor cycle ramp!! But I never tried that. I have a ramp sorta like this made with a 2x12. It's pretty standard

geezer101
03-10-2020, 11:59 PM
Oh damn, I just noticed the straps over the sides of the tray into the wheel arches. Gen 1's had cargo rails inside the tray for this kinda stuff or the hooks around the outside top edge for a cargo net etc. Wonder why Mitsubishi dropped the feature from the Gen 2's :scratchheadyellow:

68valiant
03-13-2020, 12:05 PM
Those rails are part of what attracted me to the 1st gen trucks. Very handy indeed!