PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Hole

88SportsCab4x4
05-14-2020, 09:34 AM
So what is this plugged hole for? I’ve scoured the Owner’s Manual and the OEM Repair Manual and can’t find anything mentioning or illustrating what would go in that plugged hole. The switch shown is for the fog lights and the switch for the roll bar lights is to the right of the steering wheel. This looks factory, but I’m at a loss as to what it’s for.

geezer101
05-16-2020, 12:14 AM
Either manual choke or something for the diesel version. You'll find random connectors in the wiring harness as well. Different countries have different options as well...

Salteen
05-17-2020, 05:41 PM
seems to me there used to be a fog light switch there maybe?

dancinggecko
05-19-2020, 04:10 PM
Geezer has it right. It is a cutout for the hand-throttle for the diesel trucks. It basically acts as a manual high-idle to help it warm up in cold weather. Would be a nice and convenient spot for an accessory switch though

camoit
05-19-2020, 06:47 PM
That is a cigarette lighter hole.
I'm sorry. Now that the world hates smoking. It's a power port.

I just noticed it's on the left side. It would be for the head light / dimmer combo.

Salteen
05-19-2020, 07:07 PM
the headlight dimmer is on the column in the second gen. could you please clarify?

cigarette lighter is below the radio

85Ram50
05-22-2020, 06:45 AM
Car makers have been known to add ports for future add ons. Might be for a planned improvement that never happened or some PO made the hole then plugged it.

claych
05-24-2020, 11:40 AM
88SportsCab4x4,
The picture below credit to board member > Mike P< build thread - 87ram 50 sbc/t5 swap - .
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/qq228/fecustom/IMG_20150916_071718749_zps84sduetl.jpg

geezer101
05-24-2020, 02:25 PM
^neither of those switches are Mitsubishi OEM. Back in the dark we go...

tortron
05-24-2020, 03:00 PM
I have seen some here in NZ that don't have the blanking i.e. there's nothing there, unpunctured dash.

I would bet there was never anything there in any model from factory, manufacturers have been leaving spots for extra switches for ages, desirable for dealers to out an add on in there professionally.
1st gens have holes ready to go next tot he steering column, the steel in the dash is pre punched for a switch you just have to cut through the vinyl to get it

geezer101
05-24-2020, 03:02 PM
...so who did play the cowbell in "Don't fear the reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult? :shrug:

xboxrox
05-24-2020, 03:32 PM
FUNNY "MORE COWBELL" https://youtu.be/cVsQLlk-T0s

The FBI is watching you through that hole -- check your truck for cameras mics you might be wire tapped
:apu:

claych
05-25-2020, 11:21 AM
^neither of those switches are Mitsubishi OEM. Back in the dark we go...
?? The 'ROCKER' (ahahahahahaha-buhahahahahaha) switch is not MOEM -OBVIOUSLY-.
How do you know the 'button' switch is not MOEM ??.

I would bet there was never anything there in any model from factory,
[/QUOTE]

^ With respects ---
In the NZ MARKET ?
In the AUS MARKET?
In the Asian MARKET?
In the U.S.A MARKET?

Humble Apologies .

tortron
05-25-2020, 12:24 PM
Because all the rest of the switches are elsewhere. Headlights,horn, heater and so on are already accounted for. This only leaves an add on to need a switch.

geezer101
05-25-2020, 02:47 PM
Mitsubishi uses a specific design ethos which you'll see from generation to generation (the big blocky toggle switches became part of their design ethos about 83/84...?) LED backlit toggle switches were never fitted to any pre 2000's built Mitsubishi and that particular round switch is a generic aftermarket switch (something Mitsubishi wouldn't do as it would undercut their spare parts supply)

claych
05-26-2020, 11:36 AM
Because all the rest of the switches are elsewhere. Headlights,horn, heater and so on are already accounted for. This only leaves an add on to need a switch.
^ switch ? or lamp?

Mitsubishi uses a specific design ethos which you'll see from generation to generation (the big blocky toggle switches became part of their design ethos about 83/84...?) LED backlit toggle switches were never fitted to any pre 2000's built Mitsubishi and that particular round switch is a generic aftermarket switch (something Mitsubishi wouldn't do as it would undercut their spare parts supply)

geezer^^ the backlit Hazard switch & foglight switch pictures posted in the O/P's original thread are fake?

geezer101
05-26-2020, 02:46 PM
The OEM fog/demister etc switches have an incandescent replaceable globe in them. I've never seen one blow though...

Salteen
05-28-2020, 08:07 AM
my truck has this thing, so no one drilled the hole and put it in, its been there from factory. my best guess is manual choke for a diesel, something for glow plugs, light switch for the factory rollbar, or maybe its a cargo light switch. idk, just really odd. all the dashes are the same in these truck too.