PDA

View Full Version : Need help with brakes

Jnitz97
11-14-2020, 04:58 PM
I am a owner of a 1992 dodge ram 50 4x4 I am trying to replace the brake rotors and calipers when I attempted to take the caliper off I removed the lower bolt and took the dust cover off the top bolt but can not figure out how to get it out it sets back in the caliper and online says it's a 12mm socket but even a thin wall 1/4in drive socket wont fit into the hole to take the bolt out any ideals or what I'm doing wrong

tortron
11-14-2020, 07:18 PM
Take these ones off
http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=25955&stc=1
and you can remove the caliper and carrier together.

im not sure where you are having the clearance issue. post a pic of your setup.

Jnitz97
11-15-2020, 08:26 PM
I can get a picture but the dust cap over the second bolt to remove the caliper from the bracket if you take the dust cap off I cant get that bolt out due to I cant get a socket in it

B-Line
11-17-2020, 07:52 AM
Did you get this fixed? You can bend the shroud if you cant get access to it.

PS. Great time to put new Stainless Lines on as well. ;)

Jnitz97
11-17-2020, 08:02 PM
It is not letting me post a picture but in his picture above the bolt I am having trouble with is under that silver dust cap on the caliper itself when you remove that dust cap there is a bolt that actually sets back in the caliper and I can not get a socket into it to remove the bolt I cant find a socket that will actually fit in25983

tortron
11-17-2020, 10:31 PM
Nah boss, don't need to touch that on floating calipers. Take the other exposed bolt out and slide the caliper off (should be enough space to rotate the caliper off the disc, otherwise remove the caliper and bracket like I have in that pic)25984

Jnitz97
11-18-2020, 01:10 PM
Don't both bolts need come off to grease the slide pins in order for the caliper to release the break pads cause that's what It feels like its doing it feels like my breaks are sticking

tortron
11-18-2020, 03:03 PM
No the upper (small bolt) is holding the sleeve that the caliper slides on (the bushing is inside the caliper body), so you lubricate it still attached (i.e the piece the small bolt is holding doesnt move, it is the fixed part)

The lower sleeve will push out of the caliper body and you lube between the removed sleeve and the body of the caliper

tortron
11-18-2020, 03:08 PM
See pic here. You can see the small bolt is holding the post, the caliper slides up and down this post.

The lower bolt that you have already removed holds a sleeve
Shown on this pic.
Push the sleeve out of the caliper body and lube the outside of the sleeve