PDA

View Full Version : New owner: Power questions, To swap or tune up?

Stealthy
12-06-2020, 08:41 PM
Hello, I recently picked up a 1980 Plymouth Arrow pickup. I Have been trying to find parts such as an intake, Carb, or headers that would boost performance in my 2.0L [ G52B] engine but keep coming up short on google searches for the g52b engine. Would it be more worthwhile to swap to a larger engine for performance or continue trying to find parts? Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

tortron
12-06-2020, 09:46 PM
Try searching for 4g52 parts instead

geezer101
12-07-2020, 02:47 AM
Hi and welcome to mightyram. The Plymouth Arrow shares the same engine as the early Mitsubishi Saporo (the predecessor to the Mitsubishi built Dodge Challenger). The engine is an Astron I and is hard to get parts for. There were factory twin carbs for them but you're gonna struggle even finding references for them, little alone a complete or operational set. You 'should' be able to find headers for it as it's the same stud pattern for the 4G54 2.6 engine and you can swap the factory Mikuni Solex for a Weber 32/36. A custom grind cam, some port work, de-govern the engine by eliminating the balance shafts and clutch fan and it'll rev better than the 2.6 all day. There was a draw through factory turbo version of the 4G52 and it was nuts. They were only made and sold in Australia (one of the very few performance Mitsubishi vehicles on offer for sale in Oz at the time)

Lon Moer
12-07-2020, 12:13 PM
Fire Arrow Pick-up

Stealthy
12-13-2020, 03:08 AM
Thank you all so much for the replies, I had been banging my head against the wall even trying to find info on the engine in it! Sounds like it will be a new carb first and then some more fun to drop under the hood after the speedo gets fixed/replaced

Stealthy
12-13-2020, 03:27 AM
I also wanted to ask, is there possibly a 5 speed trans that would mount directly up to the engine, I have the stock 4 speed in it right now and the gears are SUPER close together so shifting has been a learning experience hahaha.

Stealthy
12-13-2020, 03:42 AM
I also wanted to ask, is there possibly a 5 speed trans that would mount directly up to the engine, I have the stock 4 speed in it right now and the gears are SUPER close together so shifting has been a learning experience hahaha.

geezer101
12-13-2020, 05:20 AM
Short answer - yes. D50 5 speed is a straight swap, bolt up deal. Next question is - your 4G52 a wide or narrow block? The 4G54 is a wide block transmission mounting pattern, the G63B (belt drive 2.0) is a narrow block. Both transmission types were an option depending on the engine. The extra leg is helpful on the freeway. The info is (or should be) on the forum somewhere, but a member will chime in and confirm if you can't find the info.

Stealthy
12-15-2020, 11:59 AM
Alright I saw another forum post regarding transmission swaps, I will have to take a pic and post it later to see if it is the narrow block, with how small it is I believe it is the narrow block though

dash
12-15-2020, 08:23 PM
this guy has done everything imagineable to that poor Arrow
http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=129467&st=0
says his 2.0 is narrow block, but auto trans. Prob all early were. Mitsu switched back and forth

If the lower bellhousing bolts are 12.75" appart than you have a "narrow block" and if they are 13.75" appart you have a "wideblock"

geezer101
12-15-2020, 11:21 PM
I had one of those 'Arrows'. It was a Chrysler (MItsubishi) Lancer. Sold under the 'Celeste' name as well. It was a great little car. Was light as a canoe and handled like a go-kart. Had a G32B (1.6) and 4 speed but I bumped it to a 5 and fitted stiffer rear springs after the factory ones snapped. It was a bit of a slug and had the hell beaten out of it before I got it. Riposa in Pace old friend...

camoit
12-23-2020, 09:01 PM
2.0 is narrow. 2.6 is wide in the 1980 that if the engine wasn’t changed.
It should have a stamp on the block next to the head on the front of the engine telling you just what you have.

Stealthy
12-24-2020, 06:13 PM
Yeah it is there narrow block ty for the tip! What would be the code of the 5spd that would mount up so I can try to call a local yard and see if they have one, keep the 4spd as a backup