PDA

View Full Version : Valve tap and (shushing)? noise

Lanklo
10-30-2021, 02:07 PM
90 mm 2.4l with rebuilt head installed. Also came w/ speced cam and new hydraulic lifters. Soaked and primed lifters before install. Now sounds like 1 or 2 valves tap but at the same time I hear a shushing noise ,fairly loud, that I can't pinpoint. Tested all external parts and it comes from (facing) right front area. At idle it starts a few seconds after start and then shh shh shh at approx.75 times per minute.
After a long wind description question is could the tap and shh be related or a potential cause be given. Going to do oil pressure test to see how it reads. Any other suggestions?

royster
10-30-2021, 02:43 PM
Hey Lanklo...I had the exact same year and engine. I replaced the lifters just like you, only two or three of them were upside-down. I had to remove the lifter assembly, pull them out and turn them around. You might consider that task, painful though it may be.

Lanklo
10-30-2021, 03:03 PM
l'll check them. I try to be methodical but still f*** things up, alot.

geezer101
10-30-2021, 07:32 PM
Be aware that hydraulic heads don't work well with high lift cams and/or heavy duty valvetrain springs. As a rule of thumb SOHC Mitsubishi engines perform better with more duration than lift (lift can actually kill performance in these engines). Hopefully it's as Roy has pointed out and you have 1 or 2 lash adjusters in the wrong way and it's an easy fix.