PDA

View Full Version : Stock Radio HELP PLEASE!! Im tired of staring at this giant hole in my dash

RossOtero
11-19-2021, 10:24 AM
Hey folks, im trying to install a stock radio i bought off eBay. Im trying to wire in the factory harness because the previous owner wanted is touch screen HU back and cut the wires harness and all. I was left with a big hole in the center dash filled with a bunch of wires. the harness i bought is the Metra 71-1743. There is no ground wire coming from the harness, and the back of the bag says "if black wire isn't present then to ground to the chassis." Question one is, i know where to ground to the chassis but where do i ground to the actual HU? since there isn't a ground coming from the harness, do i ground to the outside or shell of the HU? If so, where is there a good spot to ground on the HU? Ive attached photos of: the wires coming from the truck, the new harness or harnesses, the back of the bag of the harness, the HU i bought off eBay. Many thanks!

camoit
11-26-2021, 03:15 PM
A good ground is to the same ground the cigarette lighter uses

SubGothius
11-26-2021, 07:25 PM
Ground to chassis means you'd ground the chassis (housing) of the head unit to the chassis (body/frame) of the truck. If that hole at the rear center of your main HU fits into a metal stud on the bulkhead behind the dash, there's your ground.

The other wire colors in your harness appear to conform to the industry standard:
https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/headunitharness.asp

M08Lancer89
11-09-2023, 05:51 PM
I will gladly buy that radio off you

Hey folks, im trying to install a stock radio i bought off eBay. Im trying to wire in the factory harness because the previous
owner wanted is touch screen HU back and cut the wires harness and all. I was left with a big hole in the center dash filled with a bunch of wires. the harness i bought is the Metra 71-1743. There is no ground wire coming from the harness, and the back of the bag says "if black wire isn't present then to ground to the chassis." Question one is, i know where to ground to the chassis but where do i ground to the actual HU? since there isn't a ground coming from the harness, do i ground to the outside or shell of the HU? If so, where is there a good spot to ground on the HU? Ive attached photos of: the wires coming from the truck, the new harness or harnesses, the back of the bag of the harness, the HU i bought off eBay. Many thanks!