Thread: '89 Toyota MR2 - '74 Celica GT - '86 Mits Mighty Max - '85 Ford Thunderbird

Threaded View

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Just went through carb and found a lot of jelled fuel inside, plus a sunken float half filled with fuel and clogged emulsion tubes which cause fuel to squirt out of accelerator pump and out a hole at the top of the carb.

Check out this video.

This was a new carb installed but it must of sat on a shelf for a long time to have so much old fuel caked inside it. Edelbrock pre-runs their carbs and then usually ships them and they can have some residual fluid inside. After I replaced the floats (thanks to Camoit for the advise) and cleaned all the tubes, vents and jets, the car is running awesome. It sounds like a monster right now and will be a blast to drive I'm sure.
    I need to fine tune the console shifter in relationship with the AOD transmissions. It is such a relief to move the shifter from column to console because the the linkage was so sloppy that pinpointing a gear was so far off. Now it is firm and the pointer actually is pointed at the right letter on the shifter label. I have to knock out the column shift shaft and remove the shifter arm, but the main work is completed. I spent a good 3 hard days under that car removing all the old linkage and reversing the transmission lever for the reverse cable connection from a pull to a push since the console cable attaches from the back on the lever. The shifter is off a 5.0 GT Mustang which just about everything is compatible because my car and a mustang are all fox body chassis.
    Getting closer to to going for a drive in it and I am eager as hell to see what it can do. All the work probably added about 75 horse to the thing.

Be sure you are using HD by clicking on the flower looking icon at the bottom right in video player.
    Adjusted timing & mixture a bit, repaired carb.
    UPDATED VIDEO
    Last edited by BradMph; 03-24-2016 at 12:26 PM.