Thread: Weber 32/36

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The floor in that plenum is smoooooth as! How many layers of adapter plate are on that manifold?

Array
    Status
    Irving, TX
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks for the advise, guys! So, I have the carb mounted in the vehicle, but I just realized that I didn't do all of my research: I have an automatic transmission and apparently there is nowhere on the lever that the a/t kickdown cable can be connected to. Honestly, I do not want to have to get another part and wait for it to show up at my door, so I am considering "unconventional" ways of getting that kickdown cable connected to the lever if you know what I mean. Any ideas? Worst case scenario, I have some duck tape laying around somewhere...

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Save yourself a lot of pain and just order the kickdown linkage from Redline. It's proven, it fits, it works as advertised.

Array
    Status
    Irving, TX
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I am about to send a response email to the Redline rep I got a hold of, but before I do, I want to mention that he told me in the email, "Please can you confirm how the vehicle is working the kick down is for passing gear and is not mandatory for the auto transe [f]unction." I have not fired up the Ram 50 since I installed the carb, but if I did and took it out for a spin, would I really be okay? How will my truck function without the kickdown cable being used?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    not a good idea - the tranny needs the kickdown to work properly. It will not downshift when needed and be sluggish and will cause problems all around. Get the kickdown lever and set the cable up for a slight slack with the throttle plates at rest.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I just started the Weber install on my '88 auto trans and have the same issue with the kickdown cable. Does anyone know a part # or kit # to order?

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

ENJOY
    Last edited by maxdsm; 11-08-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Good install thread but the poor guy got a fake.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    He also didn't tap and plug the 2 coolant ports on the manifold with allen screws - these fed the old carbs choke. If you don't tap and seal them off, they can over time start to leak coolant either into the intake or all over the side of the block. Most install manuals for these carbs leave that out - mine from when I installed the weber on Geronimo in 1983 came with the screws and stressed this point.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Is yours Italian? Still got a copy of the manual?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes its italian, and I may still have that manual - I will hunt for it. Saw it not that long ago.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I was gonna say the same thing about that carb. It doesn't look like the one I just installed. Very similar but I don't see any "WEBER" in any castings.
    I managed to hook up the shifter cable by making up my own linkage parts. I used a bit of 304 stainless from the scrap bin at work, and bought some stainless hardware.WP_000096.jpgWP_000097.jpg
    WP_000106.jpgWP_000103.jpgWP_000104.jpg.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    nice work - that looks like you put some time into that! You thought about making a few of those and selling them on here?
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks Pennyman1. It did take a bit of time figuring it out. Cereal box cardboard is great for making templates for stuff like this. When you get it the way you want it, just unfold it and trace it out on the metal. The oblong hole for the shaft took a good hour to drill and file to fit and was the hardest part. I hadn't thought about selling them. I'm surprised that Redline does not include anything in the kit for that cable. They advertise it as being for the truck with automatic.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    that linkage adaptor is extra - the kits that are for auto trucks should come with them, but yours did not for some reason. You did great with making a solution that works.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Dallas OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    i just installed a weber can i get any help i need pictures of all around the vacuum lines everything i cant get my truck to run once i installed it please help

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hi, welcome to the site. If you look at the pics I posted you'll see one vacuum line going from the bottom of the weber to the distributor. This is the only one you will need. Any other vacuum ports on the manifold need to be capped off. If you look below the carb in my pic you'll see the brass plug i used to replace the vacuum fitting that had about 5 tubes coming out of it. I replaced the thermo valves with brass plugs also. The line you see coming from the EGR valve is just for show. I ran it to the aluminum box on the fender where half of the old vacuum lines went anyway. The emissions test places like to see it hooked up or they won't test the vehicle.
    I had to squirt a bit of gas down the carb to get it to fire at first and after that no troubles. If you are using the mechanical fuel pump you could be cranking for a while to fill the float bowl before it'll fire. Try dumping a bottle cap of gas down the carb, make sure the choke is on and crank it over. It may take more than one try if all the fuel has drained back to the fuel tank.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    The lack of an affordable auto linkage has come up a few times here and on other forums where they use this carb. Might be worth it to make a few and sell them. Looks professional.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Fuel, Spark, Mechanical....I'm sure mechanical is OK, Be sure your getting fuel and spark and follow thru on Andy's info.

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    That linkage was not all that difficult to make, but it was quite time consuming. I made it at work on my lunch breaks. All you need are a grinder, a vise, drill, small file or dremel, and a hammer.... plus a bit of patience. The most important thing is to maintain the relationship between the shifter cable and the throttle plate. I made sure the distance between the centre of the holes was the same as that of the Mikuni linkage, and that the holes were the same size . I wanted the cable to pull the same distance with respect to the throttle position. The straight piece is to compensate for the adapter plates and there was not a predetermined length for this so long as it wasn't too short. There is plenty of adjustment in the adjuster to set the cable tension. There is no quick way for me to make up a quantity of these and be able to sell them cheaply. I had to grind and file and fit the piece using old school methods and would have to remove it from the carb to do it again. If I had made the pieces up before I installed the carb it probably would have been easier and I would recommend that to anyone who wants to make one.

Array
    Status
    Dallas OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    why is my weber squeeking???

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Air leak, gasket issue. take some soapy water mix and shoot it around the base. If the throttle raises you found your squeak. Or maybe a mouse has made a home in it.

Array
    Status
    Dallas OR
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    i put a weber in my truck but i cant seem to get the idle settings right it idles low while its cold then just right when it warms up and its running rich any helpful hints or tips

Array
    Status
    Roseburg, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I just wanted to note that in my talks with redline weber, I inquired about the AT kickdown linkage and the gentlemen bluntly said they don't make it. Also refered me to a place called triangle auto supply to order parts for my webber. I called them and got the same response in regards to AT kickdown.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast