Array
    Status
    Hanford, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

EGR system

i have a 1989 mighty max... has anyone ever changed the thermo valve, it might have another name but in the book its called thermo valve (Cali models) if so where can i find it? or at least know the real name.

Array
    Status
    Cali
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    posted in da wrong section.. but to answer ur question, I got both of mine from a local pick'n'pull. both are on da intake manifold...one is close to firewall (small w/ 2 vacuum lines connected to it) and da other is under manifold below thermostat housing (bigger w/ 4 vacuum lines attached).

see pic attached (red paint marks my old ones, da other ones are from pick'n'pull)
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Hanford, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Yeah in still new to this and I notice it was the wrong section 10 mins later... Anywho do I have to get them from a pick n' pull? Or can I just get brand new ones??

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Thread moved. I could never find those at the local auto parts stores but maybe Mitsubishi still has them? I ended up getting mine from pick-n-pull also.

Array
    Status
    Hanford, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Thread moved. I could never find those at the local auto parts stores but maybe Mitsubishi still has them? I ended up getting mine from pick-n-pull also.
    Would these thermal valve cause my truck to hesitate? Or would that be my ERG?

Array
    Status
    Statesboro, Georgia
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by flbadrian View Post
    Would these thermal valve cause my truck to hesitate? Or would that be my ERG?
    I'd like to know the answer to that one too !

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Statesboro Blues View Post
    I'd like to know the answer to that one too !
    Could be a number of things but the thermal vacuum switch shouldn't be on the list. A bad accelerator enrichment pump on the carb, a bad vac advance on the distributor, clogged jets, engine tune, a bad coil, spark plugs out of spec (or any of the wear and tear components of the ignition system), gummed up EGR valve on the carb, accelerator cable not adjusted properly... plenty of places to start looking.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Statesboro, Georgia
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    IMG_0201.jpg well here's what mine looks like, lucky I live in an area where we don't have emission testing BS to worry with. I just capped and plugged all those lines to it and kept on going down the road. I love it where I live, we can drag an old jalopy back to the house on a chain nobody even bats an eye here !

Array
    Status
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Hello, curious if someone could help me point out where the EGR temperature sensor is located or the general area? I have a code 43 and the EGR temperature sensor is about the only thing I haven’t replaced yet. 1990 Mighty Max 2.4 automatic here. Thank you!

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMaxSam View Post
    Hello, curious if someone could help me point out where the EGR temperature sensor is located or the general area? I have a code 43 and the EGR temperature sensor is about the only thing I haven’t replaced yet. 1990 Mighty Max 2.4 automatic here. Thank you!
    My 1991 factory manual shows the EGR temp sensor threads into the EGR valve. This web page shows it applies to the 1990 model year, too.
    https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...em--egr-system
    However, it looks like the sensor was only on California vehicles. If your truck isn't from CA, it may not have one.
    Last edited by FMS88; 05-26-2024 at 08:14 PM.

Array
    Status
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks so much and I now see what you mean. My truck doesn’t have one nor a connector for it but I’ve since encountered one at a pick n pull that has one so I know what it looks like. I keep getting a code 43 for things relating to EGR, I’ve replaced the EGR valve, the solenoid and pcv valve but I can’t shake this code 43 - at least that’s what I’m interpreting the voltometer reading as. I will probably scope out the valve control vacuum next.

Array
    Status
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Are one of these the EGR vacuum solenoid?

Array
    Status
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Sorry not sure why my picture wasn’t included, I’ll try reposting from a desktop. I’ve since figured out where the EGR vacuum control solenoid is and determined it’s bad. The Mitsubishi part number MD136198 Is discontinued and when googling for Mitsubishi mighty max/Dodge Ram 50 EGR vacuum control solenoid I get nothing. So after taking off the EGR vacuum solenoid which is on a bracket screwed to the frame (there’s actually two parts on the bracket) I looked on the back and found these two part numbers K5T47172 and K5T43983. When I search the internet for those, I get matches on eBay for Mitsubishi 3000gt and Galant/Diamante. The eBay pictures of the parts looks exactly the same as what I’m looking for. Most likely a case of a cross compatible part that isn’t really documented. Since that’s the only place I can find them, I went ahead and ordered these two and will try my luck, crossing fingers it clears out my code 43.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Nice work on finding the issue. Hopefully the new solenoid will be the end of your Code 43 woes.

Array
    Status
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks will definitely keep this thread updated either way. The solenoids are coming from China so will be a few weeks.