Thread: Roy's Garage: '90 2.4-4G64 5-spd D-50

Array
    Status
    delavan wi
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Hey roy do you still have the shifter from the parts car? I need one. See my want add for pics and the parts I need

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by thefreack View Post
    Hey roy do you still have the shifter from the parts car? I need one. See my want add for pics and the parts I need
    Hey, good to hear from you, freack.

Yes...I still have the shifter. It's for a 5-speed and I don't need it. I'll check your post in the want-ads.

Hope all is well.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Roy Your Back!!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks for the notice, MIHIFISI. I check in on occasion, using a friend's computer.

Hope all is well out your way.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Odometer turned 230,000 yesterday. Still hummin' along, still a joy to drive.

This truck has taken me on a lifetime of adventure.

010.JPG

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    & you "flipped the odometer" on the camera...i see the above pic is @ 10

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    That camera has been a real blessing, RRTT...and I'm still using the 100 watt bulbs you sent

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Odometer just turned 20,000 miles since I bought the truck in August of 2013.

DSC00329.JPG

Two years ago, when I made the gas tank repair, I inadvertantly used regular fuel line, as opposed to fuel-injected line. Time and ethanol finally took their toll and the line burst a couple weeks ago. There was no way to make the repair curbside, so I had to have the truck towed home.

Of course, I insisted on fuel-injected fuel line (which endures more pressue than regular fuel line). Pimpled clerk at Advanced auto insisted there was no difference..."Fuel line is fuel line" he said.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    .... oops reply submited in wrong thread...
    Last edited by claych; 12-16-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks, Claych. When I first got this truck, I knew NOTHING about fuel injection...or a lot of other things regarding Mitsubishi engines. (Just read this thread!!) What a learning experience it has been, and I'm better off for it all. That includes getting onto this forum. Speaking of which, my forum "birthday" is coming up.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    damn still wrong thread (lol at Me)
    Last edited by claych; 12-16-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: ubiquitous tripe

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    pimple clerk at Advanced auto ?...see if you can guess what i am now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZN4r8p6KbU

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I see your John Bellushi and raise you a pimpled clerk ala Simpsons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGTxD-5OnqA

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I'm experiencing some pinging on hills and under moderate load. I thought an octane boost (89 instead of 87) might eliminate this, but it hasn't.

Heeding Geezer's advice I checked my timing, and it's right where it's supposed to be: 7 degrees BTD and this is with the timing connector grounded.

I'm ready for someone to tell me the distributor is going (with its attendant sensor) or anything else.

Would really like a simple answer, though...one that doesn't cost anything.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    sounds like carbon buildup on the head and valves - run some fuel injection cleaner through it - I found Redline Fuel system cleaner works the best for me - available at Pepboys and other parts stores
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Roy, I have found that going by the book sometimes doesn't pay off. Especially with timing. All sorts of stuff goes on the ignition timing - distributor gears wear a little, timing belt stretches just a touch, the rotor button is keyed a little to one side or had a little bit of movement... and then you are scratching your head saying "why can't I get it to run right?" So, undo the locking nut on the distributor, connect up the ground to the timing and start it. Raise your RPM to 2,000 (where your engine does it's day to day thing) and gently swing the distributor from retard and advance until you hear the RPM jump. This is the sweet spot on your timing. Now retard it just a tiny bit and lock up the nut. Take it around the block and see if it's behaving itself.

I had a Nissan that ran 'o.k.' the entire time I had it until the timing belt popped on it (EFI 1.8 GM Family II engine). I broke out the timing light and set it by 'the book' but I felt it should've had more. Did the above as an experiment - ran the best it ever did. Then I sold it to some Chinese guys (who probably killed it lol) I figured that setting the timing at idle RPM was the thing that held it back and I had no idea whether or not the timing marks were entirely accurate. Got nothing to lose by trying it out...Let us know if you give it a shot and what your findings are Royster

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Many thanks, Pennyman and Geezer. I'll try those approaches.

Another issue I have is setting the TPS. I hooked up the voltmeter to the ECU as instructed, but couldn't change the setting: no matter what I did, the setting remained the same...4.95. It's supposed to read 0.4 or some such thing. Perhaps the meter setting was wrong, though I tried various settings with the same results. The TPS is only a year old. Fooling with that ECU is my least favorite task on this truck. I just don't understand it, and it's a bitch to get to. I finally just set the TPS at a midway point ( biased toward -) and called it a day

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    sounds like carbon buildup on the head and valves - run some fuel injection cleaner through it - I found Redline Fuel system cleaner works the best for me - available at Pepboys and other parts stores
    Couldn't find this at Advanced, (and Pep Boys is 20 miles away) so for now I added some Lucas fuel system cleaner. I like Lucas products, so we'll see what happens.

I've yet to try Geezer's suggestion; I want to start with the simple stuff, first. Since I never run the truck past 3,000 rpm, it seems likely that carbon deposits are lving in there, rent-free.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Today is the anniversary of my joining this forum. I take this opportunity to thank many of you for your sharing of experience, insights and humor. The forum has been quite an experience, and I thank Camoit for his constant efforts to keep this a troll-free forum...and everything else he does behind the scenes to keep MightyRam50 a good community.

There are actually too many members to thank in one posting, so let this be just a general "thank you" to all who have been so kind to me in these past two years.

DSC00336.JPG

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A measure of a mans' self worth is the company he keeps. Another measure is what he brings to others. It's people like you that make this site everything that it is and what it has to offer

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Wow. I wasn't expecting that, Neil. A humble thank-you for the recognition.

I'd like to note that your contribution to the forum has been remarkably helpful to many.

Array
    Status
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Royster, relatively new here. 1990 Dodge Ram 50 2.4L 4G64. I was driving down the road yesterday and lost power. I eventually discovered the timing belt was stripped but oddly intact. Now I'm realizing that the "silent shaft" belt failed. I had no clue what a balance shaft was until yesterday! Any tips for replacing the balance shaft belt/ timing belt? Any info/links/advice is much appreciated!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hi cjb~
    Thanks for asking.
    My own experience is here in this thread. The important questions are: how many miles does your truck have? Does the engine still run, or did it suddenly shut off and won't re-start? How did you discover the B belt failed? (I assume you took the plastic timing cover off).

Part of why I ask is because you might want to consider also installing a new water pump, and possibly a new oil pump, since you'll have good access to those guys when you replace timing belts.

If you're going to take on those tasks, why not start yourself a thread in this sub-forum? I'll gladly stand by to help where I can. Other members will also add great insights and help. I posted lots of pictures in "Roy's Garage", I just wish they had been more "shop manual" closer together rather than personal stuff in between...but that was my experience. Point being, you can referrence the photos here to compare to your own situations, as you come up to them. There are a couple procedures a Haynes manual simply doesn't cover, or assumes you already know. Thanks to the forum, that information is readily available, simply ask.

Not sure how long you've had your truck, but if you haven't looked at this other thread, give it a glance and see if there's anything you aughta do: http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...and-do-it-ASAP

I did manage to make some degree of organisation to my thread, so see the "menu" I created for Roy's Garage http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post25752

The most important tip I can offer you is: don't be afraid to ask (what you percieve) a dumb question. I asked lots of them, and there were very good answers. Again: the beauty of this forum is a good-natured sharing of information for / love of these trucks.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    And this is my 900th post.

I think.

Therefore I Am.

Array
    Status
    Inland Empire, CA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    My favorite quote by Descartes.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast