Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

Red face Roy's Garage: '90 2.4-4G64 5-spd D-50

scan0017.jpg

This is my "build thread". I will share all my experience gathered about the 2.4 4G64 so others can have the information. We can all learn from other's experiences.

QUICK REFERENCE MENU:

'89-'90 2.0 and 2.4 cross-breeding has information about what we CAN't do with the two different engines, and what those differences are. (Thanks to contributors)

Why Didn't I Think Of That? Hints, tricks and products you'll find helpful

Hello From Virginia is where I introduce myself to the forum.

4G64-2.4 Photographic Engine Reference How the 4G64 should look, highlights of important points (like timing marks, connector location and silent shaft accesses)

2.4 OIL PUMP REPLACEMENT - Helpful to those with the 2.0 as well, step-by-step with photos

TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT - may be of some help where the service manuals lack

SETTING THE IGNITION TIMING using the ignition timing connector

CYLINDER HEAD WORK/ VALVE SEALS follows my learning experience...including mistakes in analysing...that you might learn from, too.

Rear Drum Brake Overhaul Pictorial walk-through of my experience.

CLARITY FOR BEGINNERS

These engines have some unique features, and some specific issues. Click the orange title to go to thread posts.

Removing Valve Springs, Valve Seals - I found very little information about these details, so I write about my experience. Photos and references.
    Valve Seals information runs through the thread as I gather information about them.

Silent Shaft(s) also called “balance shafts”. Mitsubishi came up with this idea, and while some modifiers like to remove them, they were installed to reduce engine vibration. When starting out to work on my 2.4, I had no idea what a silent shaft was. I learned by researching and doing.

There are two of them in the 2.0 and 2.4 2nd generation motors. One on the left, activated by its own little timing belt (referred to as the “B Belt”), and one on the right, which is gear-driven by the oil pump gear. As balancing devices, their timing placement is important for them to operate correctly.
    More About Silent Shafts

Removing The Rocker Arm Assembly on the 2.4 requires careful attention, as the hydraulic lifters inside the rocker arms can…and do…fall out during the assembly removal. They can easily fall down the cylinder head oil passages if you don’t take care to prevent this.

PONY - photo album of my 1990 D-50

My sincerest thanks to BradhMPH, Komeuppance, RedNeckMoparMan and all who participated...for their thoughtful help and kind assistance. I couldn't have succeeded without your inputs.

My intention is to adhere to stock (non-modification) mechanical protocols. As the information was slowly gathered, you will do well to take the time to read through the thread.

I know that this forum was of great help to me BEFORE I joined, and it has been (continues to be) an enormous help since I joined. It is my hope Roy's Garage will help at least one person out there who finds themselves the proud...but uneducated...owner of a similar vehicle.

As a "build thread", the first thing I need to do is build the garage. That's next.
    Last edited by royster; 07-09-2017 at 06:29 AM. Reason: had to let the cats into the garage