Thread: Switched Addiction

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I really want to see you complete the dream and not part it out after you got this far. Just hang in there just a little bit longer and you will be over the hump...
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    I really want to see you complete the dream and not part it out after you got this far. Just hang in there just a little bit longer and you will be over the hump...
    that means alot to me buddy. thanks a ton. me and my wife were talking and she really wants me to finish this as well. she knows ill never be the same if i dont. and that i really have a passion for this type of thing.

im gonna just build it and worry about the title as i go. I JUST FILLED AN ABANDONED TITLE REQUEST OUT AND SUBMITTED IT. JUST GOT TO WAIT UNTILL SEPTEMBER 1st TO SEE IF IT GETS CLAIMED BY A PERSONAL OWNER. WHICH I TALKED TO THE OLD OWNERSEX-HUSBAND AND THAT IS A SLIM CHANCE.
    THEN I HAVE TO WAIT 21 MORE DAYS TO SEE ABOUT THE LIEN SITUATION. IF THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE LIEN WANT IT THEY HAVE TO COME GET IT...AND BY THE WAY IT SITS I DOUBT THEY WILL WANT IT.....LOL.
    SO HOPEFULLY IT WORKS OUT FOR ME.

SO ILL KEEP ON CHIPPING AWAY AT IT WHEN I CAN AND JUST GO WITH THE FLOW...
    THANKS FOR LOOKING

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    you know i sat and thought about it.....im am not going to get rid of this no matter what. Well unless someone from the company that has a lein on it COMES AND GETS IT OR IT IS CLAIMED BY LAST OWNER I KIND OF HAVE THAT PART COVERED...I TALKED TO THE LADIES EX HUSBAND SHOULD BE CLEAR THERE...LOL...which has been on for bout six years. But i doubt that will happen.....

WELL I MADE SOME PROGRESS TODAY...I GOT THE CAB ON THE FRAME...JUST GOT TO GET ALL THE WASHERS AND BOLTS SO I CAN BOLT IT DOWN. THEN I CAN WELD THE FRONT FRAME HORNS ON AND GET THAT DONE.

ONCE I HAVE THAT DONE ITS ONTO THE FRONT SUSPENSION---UPPERS, LOWERS, SPINDLES.
    STAY TUNED FOR PICS...UPDATES....ETC...
    Last edited by l.k.; 08-18-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Array
    Status
    Bolivar, TN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Glad to hear you made some progress, and not just a little from the sound of it. That's awesome. I hope the title situation works out okay for you, which I believe it will. I'll be looking forward to more updates and pics ...when you get a chance, of course.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Well between yesterday and today i got the cab on and am now deciding how i want to do the front frame horns. But until i get another bumper bracket for the side im on a stand still...i plan on making my own setup for the core support to sit on.

So that part is on hold till i get the bumper support for the side.

So until then i will be cutting all my pieces for the back part of the frame i plan on making. Ill make my mind up on a back half or just a notch back. Also cutting out plates for all the joints on my x-member that is just behind the cab.

Gonna tie up some loose ends, get some of my link started and assemble my drop spindles, small but needed progress.

thanks for looking

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    started on the back of the frame....just the very back and two straight pieces coming towards the cab. Gonna just cut right infront of the notch and redo from there back...hoping to get my rims bored this week and my tires on the way..going with 205-40-17 for now so i know they will fit with the 2 1/2 inch body drop i did.

thanks for looking. more pics tomorrow..

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Did u get your rims yet? Id like 2 know the measurements if you get a chance.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    i got my rims...they are just some 17-7.5 steelies off a tahoe..nothing special not going big...ill have them bored out this week hopefully...my overall tire diameter for now will be--just at 24''. gonna set it up for a 25'' tire prolly. i dont do big rims...

what measurements do you want or need.......

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    I was wondering about the backspacing and offset. I have 05 silverado wheels. 17x7.5 with 235/45/17 tire. Not sure if they will tuck the front fenders. Since you are going with a similar wheel I figured Id see how it works out. Have you put them on already to check fitment at different ride heights? No hurry....it would be a lil while before I did anything. Just checking out of curiosity. Keep up the good work man!

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    ok these wheels are 17x7.5 they have a backspacing of about 5-3/8 backspacing and centerline is 4-1/4. so subtract the centerline from the backspacing and you get----1-1/8 that is about 28.5 mm. here is a link to a pic that has my same rims but in 18's on truck laying frame... tucks good...these should tuck in my truck like crazy....
    most any gm wheel will tuck with the right size tire...are you bagged or just static? i have seen a few of our type of trucks with caddy, silverado, denali, etc and they tuck ok front and rear...
    most are 17x7.5 with a 28-31-32 mm offset. some are 17x8 with the larger offset of 32.
    check this site for build threads...you can see some different heights with different rims also...
    http://www.maxd50scene.com/forums/pr...s-t592-60.html

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    small update:

got some more of the frame together, started on my ballistic rod end-welding in the bung hope to finish up the welding on the frame section i got together and finish rod end tomorrow.
    IM HAVING A HELL OF A TIME FINDING A PLACE TO BORE OUT MY RIMS FOR LESS THAN 80 AN HOUR AT AN HOUR EACH WHEEL....THAT IS JUST CRAZY....THATS WHAT I GET FOR GOING WITH A GM STEEL WHEEL...OH WELL..
    gonna have some pics sometime tomorrow.
    thanks for looking

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    I have seen craigslist ads for broken/bent rim repair..... maybe you have one local 2 u. Thanx for the wheel specs. Good info.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    well got the main section of frame made... my three link rod end and bung assembled and welded. Made some caps for the tube on the rear of the frame, and some corner gussets for the frame section.

more to come..thanks for looking. please leave any feedback.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You do realize that they really don't want to bore out those wheels, but if you really want to pay for it, they will. For that much, you can buy new wheels that fit without work. Besides that, once the steel wheel is cut like that, the center is going to be weak and flex like crazy unless they weld some plate in to add the strength back in. Or have the hubs turned down - its the safer solution.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    everyone i talked to has no problem doing it....its just the fact that they are all priced at the same price. really high...

but i do understand on the strength part..i am gonna have the fronts plated so that it wont effect the offset and whatknot. thats not the hard part.

its the part that i really want these rims on my truck---> and if money gets them on there along with some more work on my end....oh well...im building this truck for me and to make myself happy.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    i had the guy boring them look at them and he was very honest....He said "they are built to hold up a near 6,500 lb suv or 5,000 lb truck. You are putting them on a 3,200 lb truck ..i dont really see a problem." "And a nissan rim is bored out like that from the factory and have no strenght bends or curves..these have 3 (he holds up three fingers) the one where the factory gm hub would be, one where the rim bends in to the hub mounting surface, and 3 (he hold up 3 fingers again then points to my rims) the one that is where the rims starts outside of the hub mounting surface.

but i do agree and will def. plate the front.. thanks for the input...

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Well i got some more done on the rear frame section, tires are waiting for me at my buddies shop. rims are getting bored out.

tomorrow i got some friends coming over..
    to do list:
    -assemble hubs with drop spindles
    -assemble upper control arms
    -finish welding out the section of frame i started
    -look into making pieces for the rise in the frame for the rear
    -make pieces to connect stock frame and section i made
    -have my engineer friend do some math on the wheels and the weight find out if and what plates are needed for the weight of my truck, braking movements, etc
    pics tomorrow
    thanks for looking

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    didnt get much done....two of my friends met up to see about trading trucks.....s-10 for mazda ext. b2200....both bagged and need some love...the deal went through...

update coming tomorrow....with some pics...sorry later
    thanks for looking

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    well yesterday was a little busy at work with all the customers wanting there boats out for the hurricane. But i got to it this morning. Me and my buddy Cam started on the back half and got my uppers together completely. Started on my spindles but decided to wait until i get new rotors, pads, calipers, and wheel bearings, etc. to mess with the front. Gonna knock the frame out and set up 3-link...then onto the front end...

Well here are some pics guys...enjoy.
    Thanks for looking

what my wheel and tire combo looks like all mounted and balanced..

Control arms together....might need to adjust once i get to the front...just to help with camber....

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    well not much of an update ...just did some measuring and tried a few different ways to attach the frame section i built. It only took me about 2 hrs..to find a way that looked good and offered the most strength. Well now that i got that figured out i am gonna clean the garage for a few hours and organize my tools a different way---->THEN BACK TO THE TRUCK......

THANKS FOR LOOKING...

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    i take it noone has any feedback, or anything..ok! Well ill have another update tomorrow....with pics.....frame section about all welded up...just need to add one more brace when i do my bags ....

thanks for looking

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Looking good, like that you 're redoing your backhalf. Can't wait ti see what your truck looks like on those 18" steelies, saw them on a hardbody and they looked good, should look sick on a Mitsu.
    Josh
    09 BMW 335i E92 Twin turbo
    89 Macrocab 4g63 Turbo swapped & Bagged: Build Thread

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Well guys here is what i got done yesterday and a little today. Frame is almost done...just about 2 hours of welding left. after that i can finish some other things on my x-member(plates and welds). Then start to get my 3-link and rear bag/bar set up and air tank.....then onto the bed and raising the floor of it....

Well here are some pics for you all ..i had to post up a couple of me burning a few welds..lol

thanks for looking

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Looking good, like that you 're redoing your backhalf. Can't wait ti see what your truck looks like on those 18" steelies, saw them on a hardbody and they looked good, should look sick on a Mitsu.
    yeah man i will get some pics with one of the wheels in the front wheel well at its layed out height...oh and they are only the 17'' steelies...thanks for the words..

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Hey everybody..i know its been a long time. But i have been super busy. --->Got a 2004 tahoe for 500 bucks...no title. only 78k. parting that out has been a job in itself. me and my dad got it, he is keeping the motor, trans, transfer, wheels and tires. i get the rest to sell and pocket the money.

Im keeping the front seats for my truck if they fit to my liking. My dad is going to swap out the drivetrain in is 03 silverado and give me his motor..5.3 vortech.
    Bought some parts for the front end..wheel bearings and rotors, got to order the wheel seals, calipers, brackets, and pads this week.

I ALSO GOT THE TITLE...I FILED THE LOST TITLE PAPERWORK OUT AND WAITED...BAM I GOT A FRESH TITLE. THATS WHAT I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR TO GET BACK TO WORK ON IT.

I have been bagging my friends quadcab dodge in my spare time...but now that i have my title its time to try to get this thing moving....
    stay tuned..ill be chipping away at the ole max slowly but surely from here on out.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast