Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Weird HUH..? THANKS for the input Fingers

This starter Vernon tried to install is for forklifts & farm equipment (I bought it from a govt online auction) ~ he said the cone was preventing it from seating all the way into the bell housing & he was unable to get the 2nd hold down bolt started..! The starter that fits my truck is the open face type (my truck is 5 speed manual tranny) ~ some of the auto parts stores & RockAuto show the cone & open face starters reversed as to which starter fits which transmission auto or manual ~ also, these starters are only for years 1985 and 1986 trucks (per the Mitsu Part #s)

I wished it wooduh fit my truck because it's about 2.5lbs lighter than my starter WHATEVER MORE WEIRD is Vernon was able to diagnose 'n fix my old starter, problem was loose wire connections, now the truck starts fine again PLUS has much less misfires ~ must be the loose wires effected more than just the starter..!

BTW my truck's starter has 4 wires connected to it & this auction starter only has 3 (4th wire is white not sure what or why it's there..?)

Now-A-days ya gotta be very careful what you buy online ~ half the crap don't fit or is fake Made in China stuff

I posted a FREE starter in Parts Wanted section; buyer pays shipping ~ USPS Flat Rate box is cheapest shipping method...

Other things reversed or typo'd into auto parts is spark plugs for my truck ~ the owners handbook says use NGK heat range 5 but most places wanna sell NGK heat range 6 (colder) which I did try but those #6 plugs are way too cold and fouled up right away...

I just noticed Claych's post above in this thread shows a photo of the cone type starter he used which fit his truck AND THE CONE LOOOKS TO BE SHORTER than the cone on this auction starter..? Dang, am I learning something new about these starters..?

My Little Brain needs a break :^)
    George

P/S. In a few days I should receive some parts from MEGAZIP & AMAYAMA and if they fit I will post a thread about it <---- IF THEY FIT..?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    Not saying my starters are OEM. Both the '89 and '86 are 5-speeds and both have starters with nose cones.
    Do your cone style starters use the fourth wire connection (?) my truck has it...

It's a white color wire on the starter on my truck that plugs into a main wiring harness going somewhere but what it does I have no idea...

I just took a closer look at Claych's post (above) which has a photo showing the cone starter that fit his truck ~ and comparing my photo of the farm forklift starter cone there could be a differnce in the cone length (shorter cone on Claych's starter and longer cone on this auction starter) which did not fit per mechanic Vernon saying the cone was too long...

Any more feedback would be nice & thanks for posting Fingers

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I think that extra wire on the starter may be the "R" connection covered here:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...nd+S+Terminals

TL;DR: If your coil has a ballast resistor with a black+red wire connected to the same end of the resistor that's jumped to the coil (+) terminal, you don't need the "R" connection on the starter -- i.e., the black+red wire provides the same functionality built-into the stock wiring loom that an "R" wire from the starter formerly provided on earlier trucks.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    SubGothius geeze so much info; thank you..!

I've highjacked my own thread LOL

After seeeing a new post by member Mitsuzero I remembered that Vernon had moved the air cleaner to access the starter work ~ the IAT sensor connector wires get moved a little when pushing the air cleaner off the carb ~ NOW bet it was that IAT connection that made the truck run better & not the loose starter wire ??? Anyway after Vernon's wrenching I disconnected the IAT sensor connector AND the Thermo-Valve connector so I could replace the air filter under the cap on the Thermo-Valve (also replaced breather hose filter & air filter inside the air cleaner case) ANYWAY the truck ran like CRAP after touching these things ~ the cure was cleaning the connectors

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Dang starter went click click click NO START AGAIN

Too bad the coned starter did not fit ~ just ordered a rebuilt starter from OReilly's delivery Aug 3rd free shipping

Time to end this thread

P.S. The autoparts websites say the open face starter is for automatic transmissions but NOT ON MY 5 speed manual TRUCK

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Check your battery and wire connections for the click click click start.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Check your battery and wire connections for the click click click start.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks Chargerx3 checked em 'n all good ~ this is the 3rd time the starter totally failed ~ ordered a rebuilt starter from OReilly's ~ their free shipping was quickest delivery; their online part photo look exactly like our part ~ oddly the open face type starter is listed as for automatic transmission but it's what fits into the km132 (?) 5 speed manual tranny ~ whereas (on our truck at least) a coned end type starter will not seat into the bellhousing ?!?

Maybe parts #s get typOH'd when entered..?

Aug 3rd is expected delivery date ~ lifetime warranty keep the receipt B.S.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hmm... leads me to wonder if there might be a difference in starters for the KM132 manual vs. the KM145, and/or maybe wide vs. narrow block?
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Hmm... leads me to wonder if there might be a difference in starters for the KM132 manual vs. the KM145, and/or maybe wide vs. narrow block?
    SNOUT LENGTH of a cone end type starter would be nice to know between my farm forklift unit & a unit that fingers, finalfighter and pennyman have mentioned they (have?) fit into a manual tranny truck...

I could/should take photo with tape measure to show the snout length of this auction unit I bought AND THEN ASK (I think it's FinalFighter?) that has a snout end starter on hand as spare part to measure his too... (?)

I might be able to use the farm forklift solenoid (as spare part only) if it matches the one soon to be coming out of our truck... It would require soldering the white wire onto the 4th connector spot...

I don't know enuff about the transmissions SubGothius to make an intelligent reply BUT nothing surprises me anymore especially from parts to polictics...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    MY SNOUT LENGTH izza about 2 1/16" ~ 2 1/8" long... Whats Your's..?

IF I wooodah been thinking on my feet then the day Vernon had the old starter removed side by side with the new farm coned model we could have tried comparing solenoids & if same then reinstall the old starter equipped with the new solenoid..? Might not have had to order a rebuilt starter; ya think..?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by xboxrox; 08-01-2023 at 10:49 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Trying this today... IT WORKS, TRUCK STARTED OK TWICE..

Attached Images
    Last edited by xboxrox; 08-04-2023 at 03:52 PM.
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12