Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Spark plug heat range

I'm shopping new spark plugs for my '87 Ram 50 with the 2.6L G54B engine, and noticed some odd discrepancies in the heat range specs depending on which reference I use.

First, note this spark plug heat range cross-reference/conversion chart (all other charts I've seen have identical data):
    https://www.densoproducts.com/heat-r...ersion-chart-2

Next, this page does a pretty good job illustrating and explaining what heat ranges mean and what they do:
    https://www.denso.com/global/en/prod...sic/heatrange/

Now, my truck's owner's manual specs the following plugs for both the 2.0L G63B and 2.6L G54B:
    • Champion N9Y or RN9Y
    • NGK BP6ES-11 or BPR6ES-11
    • NipponDenso W20EP-U10 or W20EPR-U10 or W20EPR-S11

Trivia: The R in any of those indicates a Resistor plug to suppress EM noise from the ignition interfering with the radio and any other electronics, and the -11/-U10/-S11 suffixes just indicate a gap size pre-set at the factory, so nevermind all that for now.

The key thing here is the numbers in the middle, representing the plugs' heat range; all of those plugs have equivalent heat range specs according to the chart:
    Champion 9 = NGK 6 = Denso 20

Here's where the weirdness comes in. On every major parts-vendor site when I look up parts for my specific year/make/model/engine, they all list various Denso plugs with a 16 heat range among the other Champion 9, NGK 6, and Bosch 7 plugs; Denso's own corporate site only lists 16s for my truck as well. According to the chart, a Denso 16 should be a full step hotter than all the other plugs these vendors list for my truck.

Checking the Haynes manual just added to my confusion; they spec NGK 6 plugs for the 2.0L but NGK 5 plugs for the 2.6L, which latter would be equivalent to... a Denso 16.

My reason for going down this rabbit hole was that this past February when I went to take my truck in for its annual emissions test, it was suddenly misfiring when I started it up, but with fingers crossed I kept driving to the smog station anyway hoping the misfire was just a cold-start fluke that'd clear up by the time I got there. Lo and behold it did, and passed the smog sniff (just barely) on the first try. Good for another year, whew!

When I got home again, I decided to check the plugs and found one had a cracked insulator around the center electrode. That would explain the sudden misfiring, reckon the ceramic must have expanded with heat as it warmed up and sealed up the crack enough to eliminate the misfiring during my smog check. I swapped back to an old set of plugs I had lying around, and it started up and ran smoothly ever since.

Last week or so, it suddenly started doing the same thing, misfiring on cold starts that went away as it warmed up. I hadn't fiddled with anything else to explain that, so I'm suspecting a similar issue as before but haven't pulled the plugs yet, since this is my only operational vehicle atm, and I want to have a fresh set of plugs ready at hand first.

Reading up on cracked insulators, I've read one cause can be running a plug that's too hot. I've also read that it's better to err on the side of running a too-cool plug than a too-hot one, as the latter can cause damage, whereas the former just takes longer to warm up to operating temperature and can reduce power and economy.

Has anyone experimented with different spark plug heat specs, or have any experience comparing heat ranges NGK 5 vs. 6, or Denso 16 vs. 20, to notice any differences in how your truck ran with both?
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Very interesting! I've not experimented with other heat ranges and luckily I don't have to pass emissions in my rural area of Colorado but I wonder why the recommended plugs no longer seem to hold up? Could it be that our modern gasoline here in the states is a different mixture of ethylene and other stuff and so we should be running a different spark plug for best operation?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    SubGothius I have used both (hotter) NGK5 & (colder) NGK6 plugs in my G54B engine ~ the colder plug fouls black quickly causing poor running 'n very black tailpipe ~ the hotter plug runs ok and the tailpipe is very dark gray here in Hawaii traffic...

Next time I change plugs will try to find genuine (non-fake) double platinum type plugs, NGK brand if possible...

Ethanol Gas might be affecting things..? I've read ethanol gums up the fuel system and causes rust inside the fuel tank, maybe..?

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how...gasoline-last/
    According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, most gasoline sold in the U.S. is E10 gas made of 90 percent petroleum-based gas and 10 percent ethanol (ethyl alcohol). The shelf life of gas that is ethanol-blended is usually about 3 months maximum because ethanol oxidizes pretty quickly. Because ethanol is hydrophilic (aka, water-loving), it will also readily absorb any water or humidity in a sealed container resulting from condensation, causing both moisture contamination of the fuel and the eventual separation of the fuel into distinct gas and ethanol layers. Generally, the higher the ethanol content in the gas, the shorter its shelf life, so E15 (15 percent ethanol content), E20 (20 percent ethanol), or E85 (85 percent ethanol) gas will expire sooner than E10 gas will...

--------------------------------------------------------

I think there is a SHELL Station in Kaneohe town here that sells pure gas with zero ethanol ~ maybe I should run my tank empty then fill-up @ that Shell Sta at least twice..? Google can probably identify gas stations that sell ethanol free fuel..?

I did two fill-ups of 92 octane gas, it made the truck run like SH_T then going back to 87 octane the problem went away..! LESSON Learned

--------------------------------------------------------

My Haynes manuals Chrysler FSM owners handbook are not available for my use right now but I will eventually check what spark plugs they all recommend...

My Truck's MISFIRES: (always different & sometimes never happening)
    My truck's sensors have been replaced with the exception of the air intake temp sensor inside the air cleaner case & the Thermo-Valve temp sensor that regulates vacuum to the EGR among other vacuum duties (if any..?) I don't trust the electrical connectors to these two sensors either old brittle etc...

My truck has a new China cylinder head & Mikuni carb rebuild during the pandemic...

Wish I could find the EXACT cause/causes of these intermittent & often different acting misfires ~ a new vehicle with computer codes is easier to diagnose <--- IMHO

Hope we discover best spark plugs for these trucks

Attached Images
    Last edited by xboxrox; 08-10-2023 at 12:58 AM.
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive