Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Manual Transmission and Transfercase questions... I am very confused

Hi all So im changing fulids out of the differentials transmission and transfer case.
    I see a fill opened from the transfer case im guessing

I am guessing this is the fill opening for the manual transmission.

My confusion stims from reading that these two items share the gear oil so if i fill the transfer case from that opening mid line on the trans mission wont oil come out. If im not mistaken i think that is where i drained the transmission from... so where in heaven name do i fill the transmission?

Also can someone confirm the gear oil fluid capacity... thanks

Do i do it from the transfer case? Kinda wondering what was mitsubishi thinking when the built this guy. I could not find much info so i thought id ask the gurus here. I tried downloading the manual from the site but the file is corrupted so i thought id ask here before buying a manual to see what the heck to do. Thanks all.

This is a 1987 mT 4x4
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    North Dakota
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    The manual lists the transmission as 2.2 liters and transfer case as 2.2 liters and both as 75w-85. I used 80w-90 in mine. filled until it was coming out of the transfer case and then filled transmission the same. From what I can see in the manual, they are sealed separately. You have identified the correct fill plugs.

This looks complicated, I'd rather rebuild a 46RE or TH350/400 than do anything but change fluids on the KM145.

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Lol thanks for the info!! Yeah it's a mess!

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Confirmed those are the correct fill plugs. Oil level should just reach the bottom of the hole for each fill plug, so the hole/plug position midway in the side of the case ensures they cannot be overfilled.

Drain plug for the trans is in the middle of the sump pan (bottom-center of your photo). Drain plug for the transfer case is on the bottom of the case, just beyond the bottom-left corner of your photo there.

NOTE: Do not use GL-5 rated gear oil in the transmission. The owner's manual states "GL-4 or higher", but that was published before the GL-5 spec was established requiring extreme-pressure (EP) additives that don't play nice with older-design syncros with yellow-metal (brass/bronze) components, too slippery for proper syncro engagement and corrosive to copper-based alloys. I like Redline synthetic gear oils; their MT-85 manual trans oil should be good for moderate-climate Virginia (MTL for colder climates, MT-90 for hot climates).
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Hi All thanks so much.. I will need to double check that I did not put in GL5, I am sure that I did not but now you have me guessing...
    Any ways I have another question.. today I took the truck out after doing the maintained as well as some upgrades... it was its first drive as I had to take the truck in to the exhaust shoppe to get the exhaust connected to the headers and man what A disaster.

I have some sort of jet black fluid dripping... well pouring out of some where from the top of the motor. As I was driving home I notice smoke coming from under the truck. This is dude to some sort of oil that is coming from somewhere. I believe it is coming from up top as it is dripping down both sides of the transmission bell and onto the ground.

I have brought the truck home and de-greased the bell and the back of the motor and washed it all down. I will put the truck on the lift tomorrow to see what the heck I have done to my lil truck.

Here is what I did this maintenance cycle as it relates to this issue

New valve cover gasket, I did not know the torque numbers so I put it on tight but I could not find how tight. But not leaks that I can see there
    New fresh Oil Changes ( I used Syth Blend, 6 quarts)
    New Fresh Fear Gear Oils Trans, Diff and Transfer Case
    And Headers

What I have noticed

No Oil Coming from the Value Cover or PCV
    Whatever is leaking is pitched black and I am losing alot of it very quickly
    Some of the Oil or whatever is dripping on the header collector.

It is some type of oil from somewhere.

With everything being fresh I am shocked that it is black like spent oil
    I don't recall anything on the stick exhaust manifold that had anything to do with stopping oil.

My Big question... did I break something by driving the truck over to the exhaust shop without exhaust pipe and muffler connected??
    Due the lack of back pressure..

Did I overfill the Transmission

Did a seal or something go because the truck is bleeding something pitch black which I suspect is bunt oil.
    I will have wait until daylight to get a better look at things as I was too disappointed in the situation to do anything tonight with it.

Thanks all, I will add more pictures tomorrow once I have the truck on the lif.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    North Dakota
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Did you remember the half-moon seal?

Array
    Status
    VA
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I did but you know .. i am going to get my mirror and check because it might be miss aligned... Thank you..

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    6 quarts is way too much oil - 4.25 to 4.5 quarts is all the 2.6 engine takes.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980