Array
    Status
    Oscoda, MI
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

4G64

New user with a '91 Mitsubishi Delica

Hello! New member here but I don't own a Mighty Max or a Ram 50. Instead, I've got a 1991 "Mitsubishi Delica L300 Star Wagon Super Exceed" (phew!). It shares a lot of the same parts as your RAMs, Max's and even Mitsubishi Monteros and Pajeros, including the 4G64 engine, which is primarily why I'm here.

The engine in the van needs an overhaul, and I've got two 4G64s outside the van which I'd like to learn to rebuild, so figured this might be a good resource for information.

Array
    Status
    Oscoda, MI
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

4G64
    A bit more information about the van for those interested. We imported it from Japan a couple years ago and it's a really unique rig. Right-hand drive, super capable 4WD hi-lo manual transmission with LSD, built off the Prado/Montero frame. It also came with a vintage 90's entertainment system with disk changer, GPS, integrated backup camera and would randomly speak Japanese to us! It originally came with two rear captain's chairs that swiveled 360° and a rear bench that folded forward for storage or flat for sleeping. It has its own separate climate controls for the rear cabin and some models even came with a built-in Karaoke machine. Ours has the "Cristal lite" roof option which are safari-type windows in the roof that have electronically controlled black-out shades.

Pretty high tech for a 1991 vehicle. Her name is "Kaida" (loosely translated as "Little Dragon") and we can't wait to get her back on the road.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Very common vans over here, only recently has thst body type stopped being imported, I think still going in south east Asia.
    My neighbour had the turbo diesel version

Array
    Status
    Oscoda, MI
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

4G64
    yep, we've got a lot of very knowledgeable New Zealanders on the Delica forum! Most of the Delicas were turbo diesels, so not a ton on those forums about my setup. Thought I would check here for more engine-related questions.

BTW, love the username (my first name is actually "Tor"

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Oh, I've not met a Tor before
    I'm Tori
    Hopefully you got a good one, they can do some impressive stuff in 4wd

Array
    Status
    Oscoda, MI
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

4G64
    Never met a Tori, but good names, nonetheless! We've actually had the van for a few years and we think it's a good one. Virtually rust-free and generally very well maintained. The engine has very high-mileage for a Japanese import at 160,000 miles (usually 50K is considered high), so we knew we'd have to do something with the engine eventually, but everything else is mint. And yeah, they are surprisingly capable off road.