Array
    Status
    benton,AR
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Strada
    Engine

G54B

hydraulic lash adjusters

Hey guys i'm struggling right now working on my starion because i can't figure out how to adjust my rocker arms, after digging into it it turns out the g54b can have 3 different kinds of heads. my rocker arms have hydraulic lash adjusters which is supposed to self correct valve lash by itself but i want to know if their is another way to do this? am i screwed when i was this close to being done? do i need to get 1 of the other 2 heads? i don't know and i could really use some help.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hydraulic lash adjusters are self-adjusting, no need to manually adjust anything for those. A tip if you ever need to remove the rockers: cut off the fingers from a pair of disposable black rubber nitrile gloves, and slip those over the rocker tips like a condom to keep the lash adjusters from falling out.

That said, I'm not sure if the Starion variant of the G54B engine had "MCA-Jet valves", a small secondary intake valve for each cylinder that induces swirl in the combustion chamber for better emissions. If yours has those, you'll see the intake end of your rocker tips have an extension off to one side holding a manual lash adjuster for the tiny jet valve next to the main intake valve. The jet valve lash spec is 0.010" for '84-on trucks, not sure if the injected turbo Starion engine may differ.

You could check/adjust that jet valve lash, but most folks would recommend just removing the adjusters entirely to disable the jet valves or, better yet, replacing your jet valves with a "jet valve eliminator" kit you can get for about $30. That will solve/prevent problems related to the jet valves sticking open, burning/breaking off, getting carbon buildup, inducing detonation/knock/ping if they get misshapen or broken, etc.

If you're concerned about all this because you hear a lifter tick, you might try doing an engine flush to see if that dissolves any deposits in your adjusters. The Motor Medic product is good, or you could just use the ol' "pint of diesel in the oil" flush method outlined in this post:
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post49592

Finally, for Starion stuff you're prolly better off asking in the StarQuestClub forum:
    https://www.starquestclub.com/forum/
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")