Thread: Is that two pin temp sensor necessary?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Is that two pin temp sensor necessary?

There is a two pin sensor and a single pin sensor in the driver side of the block behind the distributor. I figure the single pin is for the dash gauge and the two pin is for the computer. I do not have a computer or pretty much any of the electrical stuff that came OE on this thing.

Can I use that two pin temp sensor hole for a grounding temperature switch to control an electric fan?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Factory Service Manual Chapter 7 -17
    It indicates the two pin sensor is for a TBD engine. Horizontal top pin for water temp and vertical pin for glow control.
    I have a U engine which it indicates should have the single pin.
    I have both sensors on mine. ??!! It has always been this way since I bought it and never bothered to wonder about it until now.
    I guess this is one of the things left out of the manual.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    There is a two pin sensor and a single pin sensor in the driver side of the block behind the distributor. I figure the single pin is for the dash gauge and the two pin is for the computer. I do not have a computer or pretty much any of the electrical stuff that came OE on this thing.

Can I use that two pin temp sensor hole for a grounding temperature switch to control an electric fan?
    You're correct. The single pin connector is for the temp gauge; the two pin is for the computer. If there's no longer a computer, the two pin is now nothing more than a hole plug. You could use that for a fan thermo-switch, but keep in mind that it is before the thermostat. Typically the sensor switch is after the t-stat, either near the top or the bottom of the radiator.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    You're correct. The single pin connector is for the temp gauge; the two pin is for the computer. If there's no longer a computer, the two pin is now nothing more than a hole plug. You could use that for a fan thermo-switch, but keep in mind that it is before the thermostat. Typically the sensor switch is after the t-stat, either near the top or the bottom of the radiator.
    Thank you. I wish I still had the thermostat housing that had the side hole in it. I forget what I did with it. I might go with that new thing I wired the fan in my Dakota with. A fitting in the hose from the thermostat to the radiator where you put the temperature grounding switch.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Here's an ebay listing for the housing with the side hole:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32430446629...ampid%3APL_CLK

The in-hose fitting and switch should also work.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Bless you sir. I've been a lookin since I posted my reply to you.

Edit- Cost more to ship it than they are charging for it. Delivery by June 28. I'd rather not cut the top hose. I just put one in my Dakota and the hose clamps they included almost did not fit. And I have the moulded hose, so no straight section for it to fit in anyway. You need at least 4 inches of straight hose for it to fit right. Otherwise the clamps will start cutting into the hose.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 05-31-2024 at 03:51 PM.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Bless you sir. I've been a lookin since I posted my reply to you.

Edit- Cost more to ship it than they are charging for it. Delivery by June 28. I'd rather not cut the top hose. I just put one in my Dakota and the hose clamps they included almost did not fit. And I have the moulded hose, so no straight section for it to fit in anyway. You need at least 4 inches of straight hose for it to fit right. Otherwise the clamps will start cutting into the hose.
    Totally agree. Shipping is getting crazy especially from foreign suppliers. Here's an aftermarket model from a domestic supplier. Looks like it should work.
    https://www.fleetpride.com/parts/mot...ssembly-ch6029

There are others that sell the MOTORAD CH6029, too.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I bought the ebay one.
    That product page won't show for me. I just get the outline of the site. I was looking for the motorad when I came by your post yesterday. RA has it listed for the MM but it is out of stock. Every site said out of stock or NLA even Motorad site came back cannot find item.
    6-8-24 got notice today that it shipped. only 20 more days
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 06-08-2024 at 07:15 PM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Well it showed up on the 11th.
    I finally got out there and mounted the fan an after market Ford fan for an early 90's Continental, Taurus or Sable. part #35317 I didn't take pics yet. The battery side mounted right to the aluminium radiator where the OE shroud did. I had to drill. If you do it start small and increase size gradual. The plastic is brittle. The other side I had longer bolts and mounted from the OE shroud mount holes through the built in shroud on the fan (I added fender washers and a rubber gasket), which I had to cut out for the lower hose. I used that weatherstrip for doors where it is against the rad and where the cutout for the hose is just in case.
    I got so excited I refilled the dam thing before I remembered I had not yet replaced the thermostat housing. So when the kit to control the fan comes in I will have to drain it again. On the ford fan the black is ground and the other two are low and high speed. I'm just going to run the high speed side. Since this thing runs so dang hot I chose a 190 on 175 off switch. I can always change it later.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Since this thing runs so dang hot I chose a 190 on 175 off switch. I can always change it later.
    What temp t-stat are you using? If you currently have the recommended 88C/190F t-stat, a 190/175 switch might be too low. As soon as the t-stat starts to open, the fans will switch on and run constantly. The 190/175 switch seems more appropriate if you're running an 82C/180F t-stat.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    What temp t-stat are you using? If you currently have the recommended 88C/190F t-stat, a 190/175 switch might be too low. As soon as the t-stat starts to open, the fans will switch on and run constantly. The 190/175 switch seems more appropriate if you're running an 82C/180F t-stat.
    IDK which Tstat is in there. I'm thinking I may have gone with a 180 since it runs so hot. But I'll find out when I change the housing and act accordingly. I'm going to start a new thread for the electric fan install when it's done.