Thread: 1987 Ram 50 Auto Transmission reliable?

Array
    Status
    portland oregon
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

1987 Ram 50 Auto Transmission reliable?

Are these considered a good transmission? Are rebuild performance, or upgrade parts available. Like for heavier towing?

Thanks

Array
    Status
    North Dakota
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    I would consider upgrading to a Cummins ISB 170 3.9L with an Allision 1000 transmission.
    Last edited by SubGothius; 07-16-2024 at 06:47 PM. Reason: fixed formatting

Array
    Status
    portland oregon
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    I would consider upgrading to a Cummins ISB 170 3.9L with an Allision 1000 transmission.
    The truck probably would be overloaded just hauling that combo in the bed.
    Last edited by SubGothius; 07-16-2024 at 06:48 PM. Reason: fixed formatting

Array
    Status
    portland oregon
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I'm wondering how people here view the towing capacity of the '87 Ram 50 Sport 2WD? and if it's not that good, how it can be improved? Transmissions can be beefed up sometimes if not strong and 2) does anybody have a hitch recommendation? I'd like to be able to pull 2k sometimes without burning up the Auto Tranny.

Array
    Status
    North Dakota
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    With the age of the truck, a receiver hitch would have to be custom. I know nothing of the transmissions unless it's a 46RE or TH350.

Array
    Status
    portland oregon
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    With the age of the truck, a receiver hitch would have to be custom. I know nothing of the transmissions unless it's a 46RE or TH350.
    I was thinking I might locate one in a wrecking yard if they ever made such a thing and if the truck was built well enough to handle 2k towing.

Array
    Status
    portland oregon
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I was also thinking 55mph would be tops with a load on the flat.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I’d think about stopping when the time came if you can’t stop the weight don’t pull that weight.

Array
    Status
    portland oregon
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    I’d think about stopping when the time came if you can’t stop the weight don’t pull that weight.
    There is a balance between pulling power and stopping power. What I'm mainly talking about is pulling power. 2k is not a huge amount of weight. The stopping ability can be enhanced by weight in the bed of the truck, and brakes on the trailer. Many modern vehicles have plenty of engine power but little towing ability. Much of the tow rating is determined on how the vehicle is constructed frame wise or lack thereof. Transmissions play a role also. Many people drive like they must get to the speed limit as quickly as possible no matter how close the next red light is and the rating may take this kind of driving into account. What I'm interested in is how robust the auto transmission is on this truck. Most of these trucks seem to have a manual, the automatic seems to have less following, and I hoped someone here would have some good info on it, particularly it's towing ability, and working history.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I'm sure any of these pickup autos can be freshened/enhanced to do whatever you want. Research it
    Lack of power likely an issue... unlike 'modern vehicles' plenty of power
    55mph sounds like highway. You still have to merge safely while towing, with that weak carb motor

oe frame, diff, etc seem robust enough
    If you can't find a mitsu-specific bracket/hitch, it's very ez to adapt from another similar application.
    A trip to the wrecking yard, with a tape measure, should do it

Array
    Status
    portland oregon
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I'm sure any of these pickup autos can be freshened/enhanced to do whatever you want. Research it
    Lack of power likely an issue... unlike 'modern vehicles' plenty of power
    55mph sounds like highway. You still have to merge safely while towing, with that weak carb motor

oe frame, diff, etc seem robust enough
    If you can't find a mitsu-specific bracket/hitch, it's very ez to adapt from another similar application.
    A trip to the wrecking yard, with a tape measure, should do it
    If the transmission needs to be enhanced, that is a red flag that it's weak. Transmission work is expensive. Something that would not make it worthwhile hooking up a trailer. Engine power is not my biggest concern. I don't mind going 55 if that is what's posted, but freeway speeds...you shouldn't be out there going under 60 unless you're bigger than everyone. It sounds like the transmission in your opinion is suspect. I appreciate your posting.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    not a red flag that it's weak.
    1). Was it meant to tow 2000 pounds ?
    2). it's 35+ years old. What are you expecting out of it ?

Ton of 'moded' trucks on this site. Why ? Get em to do whatever it is you want. Way of life

these trucks come with either jatco or chrysler autos iirc. Quality hardware
    Seen folks bolt upgraded turbo DSM motors to stock autos, and smoke the tires several hundred feet repeatedly! (vids on utube too)
    Has to be a dam good bone stock tranny to even withstand that in its' "old age".
    Of course it'll fail eventually, when you double or tripple stock motor torque, soo..... sort the tranny accordingly

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    "minor" tranny mods not expensive. You have a healty auto. ID which 1 u have
    An external cooler would be my start + fluid & filter. Lotsa helpful 'tips' online also

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64