Array
    Status
    Bat Cave, NC
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Can you feel the power?! ‘85 Power Ram 4x4 build

So I know nothing about cars. Barely knew how to do an oil change. I grew up with one of these trucks and wanted teach my kids to drive a manual on the same truck I learned on. Enter my project truck, 1985 Power Ram I picked up this past week. It is going to take me far out of my comfort zone so I can actually learn how to work on cars and hopefully teach my kids not only how to drive but also not be as ignorant as I have been for all these years. Driving it home I had many many problems and the posts on this site have helped tremendously start to diagnose it. I have a long way to go but wanted to start this thread to post pics, update progress and have a place that I can come back and see how far it’s come too. Thanks in advance for the help y’all and I am open to any suggestions!
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    North Dakota
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Nice, you'll have fun with it.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    WELCOME to MR50 hazzard03 my truck is same as yours but 1986...
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

Array
    Status
    Bat Cave, NC
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I have started problem solving the issues I had coming home based of previous threads I have read on here. Driving home the truck would buck and completely give out on me on the way home. I tried downshifting, I tried less gas, more gas, you name it. The PO said it would lose power around 45 mph and seeing how it had an old Mikuni Carb I assumed that had something to do with it. PO also said the person before had "rebuilt" the engine and looking at the belts and hoses they do appear to be newer and in good working order. PO pointed out that there were two fuel pumps, one electric that is not hooked to the battery and a manual pump. At this point I have got a new fuel filter to put on and I am looking into switching out the carb, but on closer inspection I noticed the engine head only has one bolt keeping it attached to the block. So I have the following questions.

1. What size/type bolt do I need so I can replace the missing bolts.
    2. I have seen some Weber 32/36 on facebook mrktplace for $150 vs the weber 38 for 500. Is it worth going this route to save some money for now? I am going to want to do an engine swap one day so I am not lookin to dump a ton of money into this one.
    3. 1st and 2nd gear seem to "off" if you move the stick all the way left and up or down it does not go into any gear, if you then push the stick moderately right and then up or down you can find the gear. Any suggestions on the cause and how to correct this?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Do not go cheap on the Weber. Read upon this site there are counterfeits out there. Others will tell you.
    I found this on Rock Auto
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...head+bolt,5308
    There is a manuals section that might help you diagnose the trans.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Weber 32/36 DGEV or DFEV should be fine and is what most use for street use on a stock engine; the 38 is more for high-performance builds.

Just take care you get a genuine Weber made in Spain, rather than a Chinese "licensed" clone. They only licensed the general design and name/logo, but don't make them to the same standards and tolerances, so the clones can be hard to tune or just don't work quite right. Clones have a smooth/shiny finish to the castings with the Weber name/logo only on a decal, tag, or ink stamp, whereas genuine Webers have a dull/raw casting finish with the Weber name/logo and "Made in Spain" cast right into the body itself. Another clue can be the plastic cover around the electric choke element, which would be black on a clone or translucent ivory on genuine; however, they're interchangeable so not a dead giveaway, as someone could put a cloned element on a genuine Weber to convert it from aqua choke to electric, or put a genuine element on a clone to try passing it off as genuine.

Seems strange the engine would run at all with only one bolt holding the entire head on. Did you actually just mean the valve/rocker cover, which has two bolts on the top-center holding it onto the head? The actual head bolts would be under that cover.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Bat Cave, NC
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I’ve added this pic while the engine is running, the circles are the missing bolts.

Array
    Status
    Bat Cave, NC
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Missing bolts just held the spark plug wires in a holder.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Bat Cave, NC
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    Missing bolts just held the spark plug wires in a holder.

So not an issue? Thank you for the information.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah, not an issue; as noted, those bolts just held some small brackets with plastic clips to keep the spark plug wires tidy and organized.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")