Array
    Status
    Tickfaw, LA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

The dreaded 3.0 ecu death

Hello fellow enthusiasts of possibly the best small pickup ever made!
    I bought my pickup a little over a year now and it's been fantastic I drive 500 miles a week just about every week recently I've developed an issue with two injectors not pulsing and I've determined it's an ecu fault. So I'm in search of a replacement to hold me over until I 3.5 swap the truck problem is it's 4 different trucks put together and I don't have the original vin or ecu number to order a replacement. What I know 1994 MightyMax 3.0 Manual trans non-california emissions would one of you fine individuals have an ecu that would work or where to find one? It has certainly been a struggle finding certain parts for the v6 trucks

Array
    Status
    Tickfaw, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72

3.0 Mighty Ecu fail

Hello all I've been having some trouble sourcing a replacement ecu that isn't $600 I don't have the vin nor the part number off the ecu(it's 4 trucks put together as it was an offroad toy when I got it) I do know it's a 1994 MightyMax 3.0 manual trans if anyone has input on an ecu number or a lead on a replacement.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I might have an extra...somewhere, but I wouldn't sell it cheap.

Let me also let you in on a little secret. The 91-92 Stealth SOHC Base Models have the same ECU, but the programming might be slightly different as it makes more HP and has a different cam profile. I had one and had to give it up to a guy in bad need. It apparently fixed his rig and he's back on the road.

Array
    Status
    Tickfaw, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I appreciate the info, this rig is how I put food on the table I do what I need to keep it going till I pickup a spare vehicle

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    These early to mid 90s ECUs die from bad capacitors that sometimes eat through the traces, have you opened up yours to see what the insides look like? Might be fixable with a $10 amazon soldering iron, some new capacitors, and a little bit of time? even corroded traces can be repaired most of the time.

Here's a YouTube video that talks about it, this guy has several videos about different cars and trucks of the era with leaking capacitors damaging ECUs

Mazda B 2600 Truck ECU PCM Repair Attempt Same As Honda Bad Leaking Capacitors (youtube.com)

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    This video is probably more short, sweet, and to the point. you basically just find the value of the capacitors (if any) that leaked, clean the circuit board, and repair any damaged traces.

ECU Repair Toyota Pickup Leaking Capacitors Feedback Carburetor 22R (youtube.com)

Array
    Status
    Tickfaw, LA
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I've opened it up and seen no evidence of leaking capacitors but that is a great suggestion I'll have to give it another look with a meter, it would certainly be easier if radio shack was still around I miss the days when no matter what you needed you could find it on a shelf locally all this online ordering really eats into repair time

Array
    Status
    Siskiyou County, CA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    yea, that is so true! rest in peace RadioShack! you will be missed!