Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8

1991 Ram 50 V8 Swap

Its been a while since I have been on here so I wanted to let everyone know that I am almost complete my V8 Swap.

I will have lots of pictures soon.

Here is how it sits right now.

I tucked an aluminum rad under the rad support and made a customer lower mount to try and keep a somewhat stock look.

Completely stock 318 except for the intake. I do have headers for later. I installed an A500 from a V6 (non computerized) on the 318 and used the factory tranny mount.

Both back frame rails are junk, so we are taking another frame I have and mounting them on the inside of the existing frame rails, welding in place, then cutting out the old rails. I how to fit a 275 Drag radial under the rear.

While we are there I will switch to different springs and install the 3.91 Sure-grip A-body 8 3/4 with upgraded Big Bolt Pattern axles.

I'm working on a set of heads to swap, as well as a cam upgrade next year after I set a baseline on the road and at the track.

I will be running a GM HEI for ignition.

The goal in this truck was to make it look somewhat stock looking, so we tried not to cut it unless absolutely necessary. Of course the frame replacement was a necessity for safety reasons and heck, why not fit more tire under it.

I would like to swap to 5 lug from wheels if anyone knows of a hub that will swap on this truck to get me 5 lug like my rear will be.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    I guess from what I've read, the L200 might be an options for swapping spindles or hubs onto a Ram 50 for a 5 lug conversion?

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Interesting build. Why not Ford 9" swap. Save the 8 3/4 for a deserving muscle car. Honestly id be surprised if you could snap the stock 8" rear. If you get creative you can find a factory LSD to drop in. If not jump to the 9" MM v6 with 4.22 and LSD. Direct swap.

Array
    Status
    Lloydminster Alberta
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Can1991Ram View Post

I would like to swap to 5 lug from wheels if anyone knows of a hub that will swap on this truck to get me 5 lug like my rear will be.
    You can put the front hubs on from a 2wd toyota pickup, pre 1995 apparently is what you want. Mine came from a 1990 I think. Toyota hub, bearings and dust cap, Mitsubishi spindle and I believe rear seal?

Take a gander in this video at the 7:10 mark.
    https://youtu.be/UjAYjhVgwWc?t=430

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Interesting build. Why not Ford 9" swap. Save the 8 3/4 for a deserving muscle car. Honestly id be surprised if you could snap the stock 8" rear. If you get creative you can find a factory LSD to drop in. If not jump to the 9" MM v6 with 4.22 and LSD. Direct swap.
    The 8 3/4 has already been narrowed with aftermarket axles...as well as I have a 3.91 sure grip so why not use it?

This 318 is just for now.
    This truck will eventually get a turbo combo 318 or 360 engine down the road.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    well... that should get up & move. Ambitious goals too
    Was it you testing out the 2.4sohc auto tranny Mmax, a while back ?

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    No, that wasn't me. I've been accumulated parts for this project for the last few years.

I was very disappointed when I found that the back frame rails were rotten.

I dragged an old 4x4 frame sitting in the weeds to replace my rotten rails.

I need to decide if I go back to leaf springs, 4 link .. all comes down to $$

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I thought it was you: http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...***-I-FOUND-HP!!
    Your enthusiasm was all over the place.... and we may very well see what a street 2.4sohc/auto tranny Mmax can do, I thought.

For example; an full street(show quality) Isuzu Gemini ran 8s, with its original powertrain! No swap. 1970s tech 1.8 2 valve + 3spd auto
    No reason the same formula couldn't send a mitsu ballistic.... was the point.

As for leafs... same 'brilliant' aussies gone 7s on leafs + 225 street radial

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Since I am tubbing the truck and can really install whatever leafs I would like.
    I have tried to find A Body Mopar leaves as they have the shortest from segment and Cal-tracs are readily available for them but they are getting hard to find used.
    I might use S-10 leaves as they are easier to find and again cal-tracs are readily available for them.

If I had the $$$ I would go split mono leafs with Cal-tracs.

My friend is going to widen a set of rims for me just like he did in his Dart. I might go 275 or 325..

As I accumulate more parts, I and working on an HEI igntion with an old Crane Cams Two Stage Rev Limiter I had in my Big Block Aspen Years ago.

I assume this stock 1985 318 with a good intake, but stock everywhere else should at least go into the 15's.

I'll worry about heads, cam etc after I get it back on the road. The key is to drive and enjoy it.

I'm sure the 1985 318 only made 150hp net in 1985 and the 4 barrel intake won't give it more than a better look since everything else is stock...LOL

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Well.. I picked up a set of Abody Dodge Dart springs so that's a check off the parts block.I also picked up part od a challenger shaker scoop... this should be interesting.