Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Steering gear from L200 to MM

I have 90 MM 2.4L RWD and need a new steering gear. From what I find is #MB553774. Hard to find for RWD but found one listed for a L200 and is listed on the interchange with the same part #along with 5 others. Wrote the company and they just said 'no will not fit'.
    Question if it has same part # does anyone know if the L200 box would fit the MM. I thought they were the same truck but might be confused about something...
    Thanks

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I am not sure which year fits other years my best guess is 1982 thru 1986 are most likely same ~ RWD & 4WD boxes are different in that the output sector shaft is larger in diameter and different spline count than the 2WD box ~ stay far away from any welding on steering components as it is against the law in all 50 states...

Might try car-part.com for a used box rebuild software kits are still available ~ installing a used box check the sector shaft for wear and use JB Weld then sanding and install a new sector shaft oil seal & dust seal per FSM

My member page has a steering gear box photo album with more info ~ good luck

Maybe you can fix your existing gear box ~ why replace it ?
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    The reason I am looking for a new box is that the shaft was badly worn and previous owner just flipped the oil seal to hit a new area. Did try the JB as others on here have done. Went to fix and the previous owner screwed up the casing at the oil seal location and leaks badly. Or

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    car-part.com and weld & machine any deep grooves on the sector shaft... I don't think you will find any already rebuilt boxes in stock ready for shipping... Maybe there is a steering gear rebuild business near your location..?

Good Luck
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

Array
    Status
    Williamsburg VA
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    You didn't mention whether it is a manual or power steering gear box you're looking for. If manual, I have one removed from my 1990 Ram 50 RWD at 18,000 miles when I converted to power steering, so it's darn near new as used parts go for these old trucks.