Array
    Status
    Texas texas
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G52

Engine stalls on acceleration

Hi, new to the forum. Have been looking through posts for information, but could use some help.
    91 2.4 engine

Quick version: engine stalls when giving gas. No codes, plugs were black/soot. Timing has been checked. Tps i believe is out of range (.525v) that was the lowest i could adjust it too. Hard to start. Sometimes takes a few tries. Will pop at idle sometimes. Sprayed carb cleaner to check for leaks. Didn't find anything.

More info:
    Previous owner said it had timing belt and water pump replaced. Said he replaced the injectors thinking they were bad, but turned out some connectors were not attached but he replaced them anyways. Truck will move if you don't give it gas, but once you do it falls flat its face. As mentioned there are no codes. Consistent blips on the meter from the diagnostic port. He said he checked fuel pressure and it was good. I have not confirmed.

Im wondering if the tps could cause this condition? As mentioned i had to max out the turn just to get down near .52v. From what i saw on the forum it should be .48-.52v.

Owner said it never ran right when he got it from the previous owner before him, but he was able to drive it home (barely). Truck sat for about a year before we got it.

Array
    Status
    Texas texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G52
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hey Mightymaxtex ,

I can't offer much, but I did want to encourage you to be patient: sometimes the forum runs slow. I had a '90, which is a bit different than a '91, but I did replace the TPS with good results. It sounds more like a timing problem, on yours'.

By the way: welcome to the forum!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Texas texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G52
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    Hey Mightymaxtex ,

I can't offer much, but I did want to encourage you to be patient: sometimes the forum runs slow. I had a '90, which is a bit different than a '91, but I did replace the TPS with good results. It sounds more like a timing problem, on yours'.

By the way: welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the welcome. forum runs slow.. know the feeling hah.. Yes i have a new tps coming in. I had checked timing but will check again. Sticker on the hood states 5°btdc+/-2°. I feel like i saw different info on the site about that... I am wondering too if the timing belt was installed correctly.. being there were issues with the injectors not being hooked up correctly from a past owner.. who knows what else was done wrong.. curious if the distributor was stabbed correctly too.. chasing ghosts.. fun.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I'm not familiar with the 4G52, so I'm not sure there is a grounding plug to set timing. Hopefully one of our experts will respond. I know that the timing belt being off one tooth can create all kinds of havok. Best of luck to you.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Texas texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G52
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    I'm not familiar with the 4G52, so I'm not sure there is a grounding plug to set timing. Hopefully one of our experts will respond. I know that the timing belt being off one tooth can create all kinds of havok. Best of luck to you.
    Yea there is a grounding plug. It had crossed my mind to check the timing belt.. being it seems so much was possibly done incorrectly.. this may be a possibility. New tps is in today so hopefully find time to install..