Status
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Wink New Dodge Ram 50 Owner - Looking to Learn and Tackle Projects

Good Evening,

I recently purchased a 5 speed 1989 Dodge Ram 50 with 168,000 miles for $2,000 out of Virginia. There were known issues (as you'd expect with a $2000 truck), but the bones are good and I am extremely pleased with the state of the frame and major moving components.

The countershaft bearing(s) had gone bad, and the transmission appeared to be making some metal. I currently have the old transmission out, and a replacement with (allegedly) 93,000 miles ready to go in the vehicle after I purchase a transmission jack and do some cleaning.

My projects after the transmission job are as follows please share any experience or advice on these, I am here to learn:

-Address head gasket leak. This appears to be extremely mild. White smoke out of the exhaust pipe and exhaust gas in the coolant with minimal coolant loss. Clean oil and no issues overheating. I am considering using a head gasket sealant product to tide the truck over until I have time to take the head off as I've read it is a huge job, and would love to hear opinions on that.

-Address electrical system. Alternator light is on, but battery is charging and alternator is producing power. A new stereo and speaker system were added to the car and I think this may be the source of the issue.

-Redo interior. Previous owner elected to place a vinyl ... thing ... down in place of the carpet. I am not thrilled about it, but this is at the bottom of the list priority wise.

I have read the thread on things to do the moment you get the car, and feel like mine is in good shape. Vehicle came with weber carb conversion, muffler work, and generally great upkeep. Glad to have found this forum and am looking forward to getting this car in top top shape. Pictures to follow.

Attached Images