Status
    South Carolina
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

WARNING: Chinese Combination Switch Replacements

Hello all,

Just wanted to share my recent experiences. Like a lot of folks my combination switch was broken and I went looking for a suitable replacement. I found a few used OEM options but they were astronomically priced. ($180+) I did notice a healthy number of obviously Chinese clone parts on Ebay and decided to bite the bullet on one. (for $80 it seemed like a steal!) I waited about two and a half weeks for it to make it's journey across the ocean, but when I received it I was really impressed! The quality seemed nice and everything seemed to move and function as it should. So I set about removing the OEM switch and installing the replacement. Once I had it mounted in place I decided to test it before re-installing the steering wheel and all the other giggly bits. Turn signals, wipers, and marker lights all seemed good as well as the momentary brights switch. Then I tested the low beams... nothing. Turned it off and back on, still nothing. Got out of the truck to look and confirmed that the headlights were not illuminated at all. looked back in the cab and it was FILLED WITH SMOKE!! I ran back and flipped the switch back off and pulled the key from the ignition but the damage was done... Seems the headlight switch was incorrectly pinned on the replacement part and it shorted battery to... something. I've looked and looked for connector pin outs (connector is C26 in Haynes diagrams) and cannot seem to be able to figure out what it actually melted on the truck side. All functions still work as expected and I have yet to find any evidence of blown fuses or anything. Just a single melted mystery wire under the dash. Anyway, learn from my mistake and compare the pins if you get one of the Chinese knockoff replacement parts. Seller was nice enough to refund me AND send me a new part free of charge. I guess that's something.

Album of pictures: https://imgur.com/a/uqTub1q

-Cole

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Sorry that happened Cole a muffler shop is checking how feasible & how much work it will be to install a Pacesetter brand from Summit Racing factory replacement direct fit catalytic convertor on my truck they will use the original inlet pipe welded to the new cat a lot of extra work coz it does not fit as it should yikes yeah $$$
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive