Array
    Status
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Question New Head or New Engine?

I have a 1989 Dodge Ram 50 with the stock G63B motor in it. The head is bad, burns coolant at a steady rate so I know I am due for a gasket at a minimum shortly. Additionally, I burn about a qt of oil every 500 miles. Hoping it is just the valve seals but am prepared if it is worse.

My current line of thinking is that I will replace the head and purchase a remanufactured one that is a non-jet version. Met a guy while buying parts that highly recommend making that upgrade. The engine has about 170,000 miles on it, and sounds phenomenal. Zero issues besides the coolant and oil consumption (no they are not mixing), except for some occasional dieseling. I have a mentor of sorts who suggested looking into replacing the engine as a whole. Rough numbers it looks like that will cost me anywhere from $2,000 to $2,500 with some potential to recoup money on a core replacement.

My ultimate goal is to have a nice, steady, reliable truck that will pass the test of time. I just replaced the transmission (5 spd.) and that is running perfectly. Frame has zero rust, paint and interior are both in fairly good shape. Reading through the Chiltons guide it seems like these jobs would be pretty similar in terms of time to complete, and about a $1500 difference in price. That is a cost I am willing to front if it will last me that much longer.

Does anyone have experience purchasing and installing either the non-jetted head or a rebuilt/remanufactured engine?

Would it be easiest to slap another G63B in it, or is there a better alternative?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    New cylinder head from Clearwater fixed my same problem on 2.6L engine... I just hope they survived the Florida hurricanes (?)
    https://www.cylinder-heads.com/contact-us/
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive